Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip 1st cook

So kroger had Tritip on sale and since that was one of the things that I had mentioned I had yet to cook on the egg I went ahead and grabbed one for my son's birthday. Question, is the best way to cook this reverse sear with maybe a little oak for flavor and then high heat to finish? I'm assuming it's best to cook this to medium rare/medium? Any help is appreciated.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I'll post pictures tomorrow once we are eating.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I cook them like a steak. Smoke it to like 110-115 and let rest while bringing up temp then sear. Youtube the grain pattern it shifts in the middle and you cut it 2 different ways.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I too like to reverse sear to medium rare. Caveman is great for a finish. Grain pic

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I grill raised direct.  I keep the temp under control since it is a big cut of beef.  

I don't get too fancy.  It just has to get to your desired temp in the middle.

You got this.  You can't screw this up.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    i use Suzie Q seasoning, oak for that Santa Maria flavor, direct, 350 dome 20 min a side. Comes out med rare every time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I bring it up to 110-115. Remove grate and throw it on the lump caveman style. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I'm not brave enough for caveman, but I also reverse sear. Other than the finish temp, I think the keys are slicing it correctly and keeping the slices on the thinner side.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Oh gosh. It's good any way you get it, honestly.
    I sear first, let it cool while I bring the temp down to around 350. Stick a remote thermometer in and cook till it's the desired temp. I use direct at normal height.
    This way you have good control over the temperatures. The lower the non-sear part of the cook is, the longer the tri-tip will be in there getting smoke flavor.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited July 2021
    i cook it this way, one of the few cooks that i actually baste. look at the grain before cutting, i start on the tip like shown on the earlier pic but start rotating and slicing as it gets near the thicker section, some are just not a 90 degree turn and then slice. crying tiger sauce, chimichurri etc works well if not basted. i dont use this much salt  (note: this recipe was updated, the original called for 6 tablespoons salt)

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Rich Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    i cook it this way, one of the few cooks that i actually baste. look at the grain before cutting, i start on the tip like shown on the earlier pic but start rotating and slicing as it gets near the thicker section, some are just not a 90 degree turn and then slice. crying tiger sauce, chimichurri etc works well if not basted. i dont use this much salt  (note: this recipe was updated, the original called for 6 tablespoons salt)

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Rich Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

This is the Classic Style!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Reverse seared, Pulled at 110. Now waiting for it to get to searing temps.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

I think you nailed it and this will not be your last Tri Tip.
    Awaiting final sear pictures.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Just a note that your beef is touching the spot you have on the plate for chicken.  I won’t tell your kids if you won’t!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Looks killer man, I’ve never seen one in the wilds of Kroger that wasn’t marinated and vacuum sealed. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I'd hit it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Well executed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks pretty darn good. I'd definitely do more tri-tips if they were easier to find up here.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That looks pretty darn good. I'd definitely do more tri-tips if they were easier to find up here.
    I know of two or three different Cub Foods locally that carry tri-tip. It might be worth stopping in if you have one local. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Way to venture out there and bring it home.  Great cook and results and for a family pressured event along with it.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I wish my first tritip had turned out like that. Looks awesome. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    caliking said:
    I wish my first tritip had turned out like that. Looks awesome. 
    I wish my 10th tri  tip turned out as good as that.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Your original post suggestion is exactly how I cook mine nearly every weekend: indirect to ~120 in my case, then 2-3 minutes per side at 500 direct to sear.

I use Albukirky red and serve with pinquito beans, garlic bread, and santa maria salsa. I cook over red oak from Fruita.
    Mountain View, CA
  • ALLCAPS
    ALLCAPS Posts: 9
    So kroger had Tritip on sale and since that was one of the things that I had mentioned I had yet to cook on the egg I went ahead and grabbed one for my son's birthday. Question, is the best way to cook this reverse sear with maybe a little oak for flavor and then high heat to finish? I'm assuming it's best to cook this to medium rare/medium? Any help is appreciated.
    Did you return it?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    The NYTimes had an interesting article a few days ago about California BBQ. Of course tri-tip was mentioned and one fellow holds what's now a rather contrarian opinion:

"The tri-tip is celebrated in some circles as a distinctly regional cut, but not by everyone. “Oh, no no no no no no no,” said Norm Hays, as he walked me around the cattle brand collection at the Santa Maria Valley Historical Society Museum, and I grimaced at the squiggles of metal. “You’ll have to forgive me because I’m an old timer, but I still think tri-tip’s for grinding up and putting in a hamburger.”

I'm sure it does make for a fine burger but I doubt too many folks still grind them up these days. On the other hand we do grind some Wagyu into burgers and hot dogs so...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Old timer can get bent. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Hamburger is easier to chew.
  • Looks good OP!
    Just recently had my first, but not las, tri tip
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    We do ours with a Mediterranean marinade, very similar to the recipes posted in here. I love tri tip, we have a couple in the freezer.

Your cook looked awesome, perfect to me, as a matter of fact. Way to place that on a plate your first time out!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky