Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YSK: There is no such thing as an "Expiration Date" for food. Stop saying it.

13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    It is probably just me @JohnInCarolina for whatever reason the gas they pump into that stuff to preserve it is unappetizing. I can't do shrimp that have been treated with Sodium tripolyphosphate

absolutely pollutes the taste of scallops. can ruin a good seafood chowder in a minute, might as well toss the whole thing if you make that mistake
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I could not agree more, makes them taste like dirt, mud, but if you really try to dial it in you can taste bleach.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I used some spray avocado oil last night to grease a pan and it smelled like bug spray.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It is probably just me @JohnInCarolina for whatever reason the gas they pump into that stuff to preserve it is unappetizing. I can't do shrimp that have been treated with Sodium tripolyphosphate

absolutely pollutes the taste of scallops. can ruin a good seafood chowder in a minute, might as well toss the whole thing if you make that mistake
    Trisodium phosphate doesn't really have a taste at the levels they use, but it does make food more alkaline and retain water in scallops.  The biggest taste issue is going to be from the scallops not being as fresh.  The untreated "dry" scallops have a very short shelf life so they're treated with TLC.  

Yeah, I prefer the dry also.

Trisodium phosphate doesn't really have a taste at the levels they use, but it does make food more alkaline and retain water in scallops.  The biggest taste issue is going to be from the scallops not being as fresh.  The untreated "dry" scallops have a very short shelf life so they're treated with TLC.  

I’ll blind taste test any day of the week.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead

I’ll blind taste test any day of the week.
    I think Fridays taste way better than Mondays.  But what does being blind have to do with anything?  You kids are confusing me.

edited July 2021
    @PigBeanUs.......... Thank you, your advice saved me a gallon of milk tonight, I found a gallon of Costco milk in the back of the refrigerator dated 7/11. I opened it and it was still fresh. Granted it is in a commercial refrigerator that maintains 34° F
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    A question here for the experts, I made green lightning shrimp, then chamber sealed it in the marinade, uncooked. I forgot about it for a week or so, still good? Now I have already pitched this, asking just in case it happens again. It seems like anything chamber sealed seems to last much longer when no air gets to it. Thanks. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Moleman said:
    A question here for the experts, I made green lightning shrimp, then chamber sealed it in the marinade, uncooked. I forgot about it for a week or so, still good? Now I have already pitched this, asking just in case it happens again. It seems like anything chamber sealed seems to last much longer when no air gets to it. Thanks. 
    It's probably not a popular opinion, but I would throw it out.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    GregW said:
    Moleman said:
    It's probably not a popular opinion, but I would throw it out.
    Me too, but I've had food poisoning from dodgy seafood more than once, so I'm biased.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Trash can. No questions asked. It’s seafood…
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    I did throw it out. Just curious if it happens again. And as for the lime, I never use that until after cooked. But I appreciate the advice  Thank you. 
  • fishlessman
    im thinking after 2 days i would boil it in the bag and freeze, maybe serve it warmed up over rice or something.  some seafood is better in the fridge for a day or two, some better fresh, but i dont see any reason to go more than two days unless you are curing which ive only seen done with fatty fish

fukahwee maine

• Some threads could use an expiration date, amirite?
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Interesting read as always. I have a friend from work that is known to throw away meat from the fridge if not used within a few days. Always makes me cringe. I tried to claim a pack of chicken breasts that were about to bite the dust but his wife had already chunked them. They didn't even look at the date.  "But they've been in there 4 days!" 

As far as leftovers, most of them go to work with me for breakfast and lunch. 

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I used to work with a guy (real oddball for sure) that would not save any food leftovers. He would stop on the way home from work, pick up what his wife told him to bring home and what they didn't finish for supper out it went RIGHT THEN! Milk and eggs were the only things ever left overnight in their refrigerator. His wife finally divorced him as he had other hangups as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    RRP said:
    I used to work with a guy (real oddball for sure) that would not save any food leftovers. He would stop on the way home from work, pick up what his wife told him to bring home and what they didn't finish for supper out it went RIGHT THEN! Milk and eggs were the only things ever left overnight in their refrigerator. His wife finally divorced him as he had other hangups as well.
    Yeah, there's medicine that helps with that I hear. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • nolaegghead
    HeavyG said:

Maybe we're not taking those dates seriously enough....

^^^ Speaking of Pickles.... :lol:

This last weekend I opened a new container of Grillo's Pickles, and had a couple.  Yesterday, I grabbed the container and noticed the top was bulged up.  I opened it in the sink, and the pickle juice foamed up and overflowed like a shaken-not-stirred beer.  They smelled okay, but I decided to play it safe and tossed them (kinda expensive spoilage there).  Never seen or heard of that kind of thing before.  :confused:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I was told that the only way you'll ever die from a hotdog is if you choke on it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    HeavyG said:

I learned the hard way maple syrup needs to be stored in the fridge or else it molds.  Or maybe that's just the Sam's Club version we buy.
  • fishlessman
    RyanStl said:
    HeavyG said:

I learned the hard way maple syrup needs to be stored in the fridge or else it molds.  Or maybe that's just the Sam's Club version we buy.

just remove the mold or bring to a boil, skim, put in a clean mason jar
    fukahwee maine

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    RyanStl said:
    HeavyG said:

Exactly. 

Literally says this on the old school metal cans that maple syrup used to come in
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    RyanStl said:
    HeavyG said:

wish I knew  :)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    RyanStl said:
    HeavyG said:

wish I knew  :)
    the mold doesnt look good on pancakes but add it in a sauce and nobody will know. as mentioned, it was stored in cans probably because you dont see the mold

fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    There have been recent comments in other threads referencing this one.  Reminded me to ask about a situation I'm unsure of...
    We like steaks cooked med-rare or less, 115 to 130 max internal.  It's my believe "blade tenderized" cuts have the potential to transfer surface contaminants to the internals of the meat, where they won't see temps high enough to render them harmless.
    Due to that I don't buy meat processed that way.  Plus, a decent steak should not require punching a bunch of holes in it to make it tender.
    Is that valid reasoning or is tenderizing nothing to be concerned about?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2021
    dbCooper said:
    There have been recent comments in other threads referencing this one.  Reminded me to ask about a situation I'm unsure of...
    We like steaks cooked med-rare or less, 115 to 130 max internal.  It's my believe "blade tenderized" cuts have the potential to transfer surface contaminants to the internals of the meat, where they won't see temps high enough to render them harmless.
    Due to that I don't buy meat processed that way.  Plus, a decent steak should not require punching a bunch of holes in it to make it tender.
    Is that valid reasoning or is tenderizing nothing to be concerned about?
    It will transfer/ give a path for bacteria to transfer internally . At the end of the day, know the freshness of the meat, that is where it starts . I would not worry about it fresh from a butcher shop, not so much from Walmart 

I have zero problem eating meat raw/uncooked when I am sure of the source 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I was told that the only way you'll ever die from a hotdog is if you choke on it.
    Every hot dog factory I have been in (I have been in several) worries about listeria due to this situation.  These were "Ball Park" dogs.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-01-15-9901150385-story.html

From that article:
    Nine adults have died and three women suffered miscarriages after eating hot dogs and possibly deli meats containing Listeria bacteria, the federal health agency said. The death toll has tripled from four cases announced by the CDC on Dec. 22, 1998 the day Sara Lee said it would recall more than 300 varieties of meat products processed at its giant Bil Mar Foods facility in Zeeland, Mich.
    Clinton, Iowa