Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here we go

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
Peach Butt time again. Spicy rub, smoked with Peach. Brined 24 hours.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    YukonRon said:

Wow!  That looks amazing!  Bourbon peach slush to go with it?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    YukonRon said:

I can practically taste and smell that through the screen.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    Jcl5150 said:
    YukonRon said:

Wow!  That looks amazing!  Bourbon peach slush to go with it?
    Just doing a Rosé, to start with. It is a 12 pounder, so no telling what else e may get in to.

Great suggestion, thank you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

The smoke rolling with this cook is one of my most favorite aromas when doing Q.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Does the pork counteract the carbs in the peach glaze? I'm asking because I have just started a low-carb diet, one that I'm finding difficult, especially with delicious peach pork butt photos being posted. Great looking cook.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:

Must have a sweet broadband connection. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • What is the peach glaze? Peach jam? Cause peach and apricot are my favorite. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    GregW said:
    Does the pork counteract the carbs in the peach glaze? I'm asking because I have just started a low-carb diet, one that I'm finding difficult, especially with delicious peach pork butt photos being posted. Great looking cook.
    Oh there are no carbs in the glaze……. It’s a special glaze with no carbs as far as you are concerned.  Eat plenty and enjoy.  I saw this on the internet so it must be true
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    I will make a bet with good money, that butt will not suck!  Looking good!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Yummy!
    and what is the spicy rub you mentioned?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Dude... thats looking farkin' fantastic before its even hit the egg!! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    That looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    Just checked on the peach butt, 18 hours in so far, looking good.

@GregW sadly, no. However, what the glaze does very well is seal in the juices and delivers a very moist, and delicious pork butt, with a char that is delicious. The char left on the grilling grid, is fought over. It has the Smokey spicy sweet flavor similar in texture to a taffy. It goes great with either a Bloody Mary, or a glass of Pinot noir rosé. Kinda not great for a low carb diet.

I also brined it in molasses, salt and water. So that may be an issue? I think you might be able to pick through it and find pieces void of the glaze though if that is an option.

Best of luck on your low carb path, and hope you get the results you seek. Thank you for taking a look. I wish I had a more favorable answer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

Must have a sweet broadband connection. 
    You know he does. He has all the toys.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    What is the peach glaze? Peach jam? Cause peach and apricot are my favorite. 
    I use peach preserves from a few different sources. My go to is Smuckers, but any peach or apricot preserves will be great.

Thank you for looking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    GregW said:
    Oh there are no carbs in the glaze……. It’s a special glaze with no carbs as far as you are concerned.  Eat plenty and enjoy.  I saw this on the internet so it must be true
    BBQ is a challenge, for me, when it is focused on low carbs. Too many other things along with the cook when served, kicks my backside. I try to reduce the carbs, but fail mightily when I do.

Internet Rules are golden.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    bubbajack said:
    I will make a bet with good money, that butt will not suck!  Looking good!
    Thank you for the kind words and the confidence. I will make sure your wager will return favorably for you. Each time I have done this cook, it has turned out awesome. It can be a messy cook, but it is easy to do. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    loco_engr said:
    Yummy!
    and what is the spicy rub you mentioned?
    I wish I could give you the specific portions, but it is a mixture of a couple of rubs, I have purchased. I add smoked chipotle, cayenne, white pepper and Tony’s to it. The rubs I blend are A BBQ rub I get at RD, Blues Hog Sweet and Savory, and Bone Sucking Sauce Pork and Chicken blend. The peppers I add until I get the right heat/spice in the taste. I also use a bit of Sriracha when I make my sauce.

I realize this is not much help, however it is a direction to go. I wish I could provide better, but, I just blend to taste.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    caliking said:
    Dude... thats looking farkin' fantastic before its even hit the egg!! 
    Thank you for the kind words. This cook has my neighbors, a couple of houses in each direction, inquiring on when it will be ready. We live rather close to our friends in the city, and they have been huffing the fumes of this cook for 19 hours, thus far. It is a delicious aroma.

Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    That looks fantastic!
    Try it sometime, you will never cook a pork butt any other way. Brine, Rub, glaze, cook, devour. Let me know, if you do, and I will be glad to help in any manner you think I would be helpful to do so.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    As a wise man once said:” Standing By”. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Ron you are killing me here… outstanding!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    dmchicago said:
    As a wise man once said:” Standing By”. 
    I must admit, I am very pleased with the XL on this cook in particular. 21 hours into the cook now at 196°F IT, going at a low and glacial ~ 225°F ( + or - 10°F). This is actually better than my oven in my home which has a 20°F fluctuation. New hinges and gaskets have made a tremendous difference.

Will pull at 202°F and provide the results, good or bad.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Ron you are killing me here… outstanding!!
    My Man Johnny, not trying to create strife, just create some really fun and gods food for friends and family. Come on up, will be glad to set you a place.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Following along. I did a pork butt last weekend and wife said she’s a little burnt out on pulled pork now. I’ve added the peach preserves to the shopping list to add to my pantry arsenal. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Late to this as I am on the road but that is all set up and likely delivered a cook of pure goodness across the board.  I am gonna give that peach preserve rub a go one of these days.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    Late to this as I am on the road but that is all set up and likely delivered a cook of pure goodness across the board.  I am gonna give that peach preserve rub a go one of these days.  
    You will not be disappointed. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    24 hours later:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky