Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here we go

Options
2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Following along. I did a pork butt last weekend and wife said she’s a little burnt out on pulled pork now. I’ve added the peach preserves to the shopping list to add to my pantry arsenal. 
    If you do nothing else, brine for 12-24 hours prior to egging. I can’t stress the value to the finished product this provides. It is so easy and make such a huge difference.

I brine pork roasts and poultry, always. 

Thank you for looking and the Peach preserves are worth the effort.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Looks great. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    @YukonRon, Is this the current brine formulation you use? From an old 2017 post.

12 oz Picking Salt
    About 8 oz or 3/4 Cup Molasses 
    2 Quarts of mineral free, or bottled water.
    Mix together until dissolved in the liquid.
    Pour into a covered container large enough to hold the liquid and the meat.
    Add Butt and submerge, place in fridge (if you can't submerge turn over every 4-6 hours or so) for minimum 8-12 hours. (I have left mine in for much longer with no issues)
    We will see what happens.
  • YukonRon
    edited July 2021
    Options
    GregW said:
    @YukonRon, Is this the current brine formulation you use? From an old 2017 post.

12 oz Picking Salt
    About 8 oz or 3/4 Cup Molasses 
    2 Quarts of mineral free, or bottled water.
    Mix together until dissolved in the liquid.
    Pour into a covered container large enough to hold the liquid and the meat.
    Add Butt and submerge, place in fridge (if you can't submerge turn over every 4-6 hours or so) for minimum 8-12 hours. (I have left mine in for much longer with no issues)
    We will see what happens.
    Exactly! It works great. The difference is phenomenal. If you need any help just let me know.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looks great. 
    Thank you sir, I appreciate your kindness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You're a saint @YukonRon. I am absolutely positively certain that I wouldn't have the patience to have this going for 24hrs, aroma and all, without gnawing my arms off. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    You're a saint @YukonRon. I am absolutely positively certain that I wouldn't have the patience to have this going for 24hrs, aroma and all, without gnawing my arms off. 
    I really did not know if I “liked” your comment more or “agreed” with it more. 

Odd as this may be, and I am sure saint hood will no longer be an option after full disclosure, this cook was to be primarily our evening meal on Sunday with our children.  The only thing that put a wrench in the gears, is our future DIL, who celebrated her 21st birthday on Friday, asked My Beautiful Wife, if we could cook her dinner on Sunday, wanting roasted chicken breasts. She is El Salvadoran, and pork is not exactly something she wants, since it is a main course 24/7 there. 

So I started the process, unknowing what her preference was, on Thursday with the brine, and found out Friday, late evening, pulled pork was not an option for dinner Sunday.

I went ahead and cooked it anyway, because, I kinda owed my neighbors for watching over My Beautiful Wife and I as I worked through some pretty difficult and extremely aggravating health issues.

I decided to hand out much of the pork butt as a minor thank you for their support for the last 6 months. These people cut my grass, trimmed our trees, got our groceries, and do many other things.

I have been cooking, when I was able to do so, and sending them food. So when the peach but went on, my text messaging lit up, from my friends, staking their claims. It felt good to do some pay back. Actually, I felt honored to do so.

Occasionally, you really need to count your blessings. Then you need to do whatever you can to show your appreciation. Making pulled pork for them is a blessing. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That is great, @YukonRon! I am sure the chicken was wonderful, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    Options
    That is great, @YukonRon! I am sure the chicken was wonderful, too.
    Chicken was so easy, brined for 4 hours, took out of the brine, trimmed and pounded down like it owed me money, then roasted at 425°F until an IT of 165°F, about 25 minutes. I used spog with a bourbon smoked paprika. Came out very juicy and very tender, flavor was great.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I bet that bark was very very tasty.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    I bet that bark was very very tasty.
    It is often the most fought over morsel off the BGE my family pursues. Our son and daughter, kinda got in to it once, arguing over one of the chunks of char, that had some of the pork attached to it. 

Once you do one of these, on pork or ribs for that matter, the char is a flavor you will never forget. Smokey, spicy, savory and sweet. 

Thank you for checking in, hope all is well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Rolling the peach preserve (virgin go) pork butt.
    F'ed up as the pork butt was already salt infused.  No brining.  Being lazy I did inject it up with a cut mixture of apple juice and some water.  Then on the BGE but being a "no controller" renegade I rolled at around 275*F on the dome.  5.8 Lb butt and finished in around 9+ hours.  Fondled it with peach preserves while cold. Bark was great.  
    Couple of pics:

And the $$ shot:

Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Cap
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Rolling the peach preserve (virgin go) pork butt.
    F'ed up as the pork butt was already salt infused.  No brining.  Being lazy I did inject it up with a cut mixture of apple juice and some water.  Then on the BGE but being a "no controller" renegade I rolled at around 275*F on the dome.  5.8 Lb butt and finished in around 9+ hours.  Fondled it with peach preserves while cold. Bark was great.  
    Couple of pics:

And the $$ shot:

Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Cap
    This is a beautiful cook. Hope you enjoy as much as we do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky