Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen one

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    ah - this is all the scuttlebutt.  "One" as in "one second readings"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    I think I can still tolerate the 1-2 additional second read time of my MK4. Pass.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2021
    It's pretty lame that it doesn't even appear to be backlit and that they'll eventually charge you more for a "new" model of it that's backlit.

So it's basically a classic Thermapen that's 1 second faster and $40 more?

I don't see Javelin Pro Duo sweating any when still coming in at half the price and being backlit.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    WeberWho said:
    It's pretty lame that it doesn't even appear to be backlit and that they'll eventually charge you more for a "new" model of it that's backlit.

I don't see Javelin Pro Duo sweating any when still coming in at half the price and being backlit.
    Click on the “overview”. It says it is brighter backlit. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    SGH said:
    WeberWho said:

Click on the “overview”. It says it is brighter backlit. 

The price seems fair if it's truly backlit. Especially being around the MK4 price range. I've had my classic Thermapen for the last 11 or so. It has only given me issues in the last 6 months or so. It has been worth every penny. I also have a Javelin Pro Duo. Hard to beat for $60 cheaper and one second slower. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    The real kicker with the new one.....5 year warranty. Now that's a game changer. Nice to see that. 

Minnesota
  • SGH
    WeberWho said:
    The price seems fair if it's truly backlit. Especially being around the MK4 price range. I've had my classic Thermapen for the last 11 or so. It has only given me issues in the last 6 months or so. It has been worth every penny. I also have a Javelin Pro Duo. Hard to beat for $60 cheaper and one second slower. 
    I have had the classic for about 12 years myself and it’s just now starting to act up at times. I have had such good luck with it I’m thinking about just getting another classic. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I've had nothing but trouble out of my Thermoworks products. 1 dead ThermoPop, 2 dead TimeSticks, 1 Thermapen that may or may not come on when opened. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    SGH said:
    WeberWho said:
    I have had the classic for about 12 years myself and it’s just now starting to act up at times. I have had such good luck with it I’m thinking about just getting another classic. 
    The MK4 is down to $69 right now

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    SonVolt said:
    I've had nothing but trouble out of my Thermoworks products. 1 dead ThermoPop, 2 dead TimeSticks, 1 Thermapen that may or may not come on when opened. 
    I still have my original thermapen from probably 12 years ago. Couldnt get it to die even left it out in the rain for like 2 weeks and when it dried out it started working fine again. Finally got a MK4 when they went down to $69.
  • SonVolt
    Weird. Mine died with light indoor use. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • I have Classic that’s at least 11 years old and works perfectly.  I added an MK4 a couple of years back for the back light.  I also have a Dot, a Blue Dot, and a Smoke.  All are great products and get constant use.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    I've had my MK4 for 4ish years now. It's been dropped and left outside overnight a few times, gets used pretty consistently. No issues at all. 
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    Weird. Mine died with light indoor use. 
    Maybe you just a lemon. It does happen from time to time with just about all products. 

Status- Standing by.

• SonVolt
    edited June 2021
    I got 4 lemons?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    SonVolt said:
    I got 4 lemons?
    that would be rough for sure and I feel your pain, mine get abused , broken screen on 1, only changed the battery in 1 in 5 years.....just ordered 2 more MK4 can beat the price. I have a couple Javelin pro duo's that perform as well at a decent price point ....so far so good on mine that get heavy duty regular use....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
     i melted my origonal pretty badly on a simmer plate, later on dropped it off the deck onto some rocks then into the lake. drained it out and dried it and used it til the battery died, then decided to just replace it. you could see the electronics inside where it separated after melting it. the newer water proof version has to be opened and closed a few times before it turns on so i bought the thermo pop which works well enough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I put my MK4 in the dishwasher like a dunce. Excuse to upgrade!
    Mountain View, CA
  • SonVolt said:
    Me too. Problems with both thermapen classics. Not a fan. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    edited June 2021
    Only issue I’ve had with any ThermoWorks product is a) they usually come out with something better than I’ve already got 2) I’m hard on the probes for my Smoke….replacement sets en route for the third time…..that being said, I bought my thermopen during the sale. Won’t be buying this new one yet
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    I got 4 lemons?
    I certainly can see your point. But with that said, it certainly doesn’t seem to be the norm. Seeing reviews on this forum as well as a few others, most folks seem to have good luck with them. I myself got a little over 12 years out of a classic before it started acting up. 
    I know it’s a long shot, maybe you really was just that unlucky and drew four lemons. I have seen stranger things happen. Either way, I hope you have better luck with whatever thermometer you go with next 👍

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My 2 timesticks died, barely used them.  Good luck with the pens.   If you have problems with all 4 of your thermoworks products, you might just be unlucky, or maybe you abused them without know it.  Stuff like that should just work, all the time.

If you have a problem with it turning on when you open it, mechanical problems like that can be fixed by cleaning the contacts/switch inside and applying some De-Ox-It.  That stuff is miracle juice.
    I’ve had the original Thermopen for roughly 8 years. Zero issues at all. Have had the Mk4 for roughly 2 years. No problems with it either. The time stick and DOT were junk. They didn’t last very long at all and died. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Using my limited experience (and an MS in IE) I'd say ThermoWorx has a Quality Control problem, given the wide scatter above.  
    I've got my shots now, mebbe I should think about a Consulting project proposal... :glasses:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    Using my limited experience (and an MS in IE) I'd say ThermoWorx has a Quality Control problem, given the wide scatter above.  
    I've got my shots now, mebbe I should think about a Consulting project proposal... :glasses:  
    Might also be an underlying engineering problem.  Not much to assembly, seems like component level failure as they start out working.