Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked, then Grilled SPAM!

Didn't see too many BBQ's spam threads here so thought I'd document my experiment.

1. Started off with the low sodium spam. I cut a diamond grid over the top and bottom and glazed it in mustard. I dry rubbed it with my favorite port mix (and got some down in the cracks).
2. Got the egg to 225 degrees (F) and tossed in a few small chunks of apple. Smoked it for 2 hours.
3. Took the spam off, raised the egg temp to 300 degrees, and then grilled the spam for 5 minutes.
4. Served the finished product over rice.

The spam was delicious. My wife didn't want any ("eww spam?") but ended up going back for more. In the future, I'll need to find a better pairing as the rice somewhat took away from the spam flavor.

Pics below:

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Interesting, I'm not a fan of spam but I think I will give your method a try.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I’d hit it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited June 2021
    arent there restaurants in Oklahoma? that serve smoked Spam roll. Maybe its bologna
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    The next time I do this I’ll put it on as an appetizer while I’m doing a pork shoulder or ribs
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think that’s a natural for burnt end-style.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Definitely appreciate this rebel post.  And here's a bit of enlightenment:

SPAM is eaten in many ways, but in Hawaii it is best enjoyed sliced into pieces, pan fried or deep fried and served with a bed of steamed rice.

The Amazing SPAM Musubi
    THE AMAZING SPAM MUSUBI!

What is a SPAM Musubi?

Genius doesn’t begin to describe the brains behind the discovery of Hawaii’s very own SPAM Musubi.

You’ve seen Japanese handrolls – a fresh sheet of crispy seaweed filled with rice and a few other ingredients, wrapped into a cone-like Japanese burrito.

Spam Musubi is an Asian (Japanese) Hawaiian fusion.

Just like handrolls, the musubi begins with a sheet of seaweed. Next a scoop of fresh rice is pressed into a rectangular block and a teriyaki marinated slice of SPAM goes on top. The seaweed is wrapped around, blanketing the creation in goodness.

To make it easier, the SPAM Musubi is wrapped in plastic and just like those Chinese hamburger’s, it’s complete.

I want you to EAT me

Spam -It's what's for dinner.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    ColtsFan said:
    I’d hit it
    Me too!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I'd hit that.  

And Spam musubi is the bomb.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Srpete01
    I might need to try that too. Sourcing seaweed might not be easy!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    lousubcap said:
    Definitely appreciate this rebel post.  And here's a bit of enlightenment:

SPAM is eaten in many ways, but in Hawaii it is best enjoyed sliced into pieces, pan fried or deep fried and served with a bed of steamed rice.

The Amazing SPAM Musubi
    THE AMAZING SPAM MUSUBI!

What is a SPAM Musubi?

Genius doesn’t begin to describe the brains behind the discovery of Hawaii’s very own SPAM Musubi.

You’ve seen Japanese handrolls – a fresh sheet of crispy seaweed filled with rice and a few other ingredients, wrapped into a cone-like Japanese burrito.

Spam Musubi is an Asian (Japanese) Hawaiian fusion.

Just like handrolls, the musubi begins with a sheet of seaweed. Next a scoop of fresh rice is pressed into a rectangular block and a teriyaki marinated slice of SPAM goes on top. The seaweed is wrapped around, blanketing the creation in goodness.

To make it easier, the SPAM Musubi is wrapped in plastic and just like those Chinese hamburger’s, it’s complete.

I want you to EAT me

Spam -It's what's for dinner.  

My assembly line Musubi

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Nice to finally see a thread that celebrates Spam rather than most folks just going "blecchhh"!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I made Musubi once and loved it. The family wouldn't touch it even though they like sushi.  I brought it to a party and ended up bringing most of it home. I thought it would go over better 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    old head Egghead from the other forum posted spam crown roast!  =)

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    The spam looks delicious but I agree the rice is a bit plain and the spam would overwhelm it.  I'd like to see the spam featured in a sandwich or maybe with some eggs an potatoes
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Spam is awesome diced up in fried rice!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Fried Spam in a sandwich with mustard. Fry it in a mix of butter and Worchestshire.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    found on google hot pa-SPAM-mi, ACTUALLY LOOKS GOOD.  butter fried while singing spam spam spam....with onion and mustard in a roll is one of my favorite

Hot pa-SPAMreg-mi Sandwich

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I just added SPAM to my grocery list 🤣😂

I love spam musubi and make it 2 or 3 times a year. I fry the spam in a skillet, finishing with a little liquid (half soy sauce, half maple syrup). Then I put it in the musubi mold with a liberal sprinkling of furikake (rice seasoning) between the spam and the rice. Wrap with nori and you a great handheld snack.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • loco_engr
    found on google hot pa-SPAM-mi, ACTUALLY LOOKS GOOD.  butter fried while singing spam spam spam....with onion and mustard in a roll is one of my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcY3W5WgNU
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Srpete01

This is next up on my hit list for spam. With what I did before, the right bun and cheese combo and it would have been ace!
  • loco_engr
    I had grated spam with some onion spread on a bun with cheese on top then broiled . . . not 1/2 bad for who it was for!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman: