Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What does your glass recycling say about your adult beverage consumption?

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,342
Mine is pretty steady and well-stocked.  Bourbon, beer and a few wines (not me) with the occasional champagne.  Over the past several years I have totally moved off the clear adult spirits.  SWMBO is definitely not a brown water convert. Others?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Beer, wine, brown water mainly. Zero glass recycling here for about a year now. 😕
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    That I contribute way too much to the local landfill. Very small town here. I need to look again and see if any viable recycling program exists. Very active with beer. Brown on the holidays. Clear on road trips. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Wino that drinks bourbon, too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I'm not a fan of clear but than I instantly remember I have Devil's Spit Bloody Mary mix in the fridge. I guess I'll go have some clear.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    We’re lucky enough to have a rural recycling center a few miles down the road. Bourbon and wine glass mostly. The bigger issue is all the cardboard boxes from Amazon 😅
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    all I know is when I dump the kitchen based recycling bin into the recycling can out back, my neighbors think a car crash has occurred due to the sound of glass banging against glass. 
    This happens about one weekend a month at our place.  Mostly wine bottles making the noise but some beer bottles and brown and clear spirits occasionally in the mix.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    all I know is when I dump the kitchen based recycling bin into the recycling can out back, my neighbors think a car crash has occurred due to the sound of glass banging against glass. 
    Can't stop laughing as I can so relate 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I need to cut down.  My waistline says the same.
  • kanye_twitty
    kanye_twitty Posts: 44
    edited June 2021
    Options
    The Thursday “wino walk of shame”. Actually, we put them out wednedsay night under the cloak of darkness. You can always tell when they get to our house though. Sounds like a glass bomb going off for all the neighbors to hear.   At least they clear the bins right before the weekend. 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    We return ours to the Beer Store for a $0.10/bottle refund. Doesn't matter what type. Beer bottles/cans, wine, brown, clear...I returned the empties today and saved myself $7 on a case of Tall boys!
    We took a family vacation to Florida a number of years ago and I was blown away that my only option was to throw all the empties in the dumpster. I still have a picture on my phone I think from a Blue Jays/Rays game where it said on the big screen "What is Recycling?". I did like the price of your booze a lot better than we have at home!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Here in Iowa, we pay a $0.05 deposit on wine, liquor, beer, and carbonated beverage containers.  Glass, plastic, aluminum, anything that contains one of those liquids.  No deposit on a can / bottle of sweet tea, but a nickel on a can of Coke.  Dumb.

Anyway, the first time I took my containers to the recycling center, he commented on all of the "handles" I was returning.

So, my recycling bin says I buy in bulk!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Mine says that I clearly don't have a drinking problem as there is none to speak of. The only glass recycling we do is martinellis apple juice containers

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Here in Iowa, we pay a $0.05 deposit on wine, liquor, beer, and carbonated beverage containers.  Glass, plastic, aluminum, anything that contains one of those liquids.  
    I was attending ISU when that law went into effect.  The grocery stores hated it, as they had to receive the empties; sounds like you have to make a separate trip to the recycle center now.  
    What amazed me was how, overnight, that law cleaned up the roadways, parks, and alleys; if the imbibers couldn't be bothered, a Jr. High kid could, scouring the roads the next day, for some spending money.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Terpderpitude
    Options
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    the cheap Canadian whiskey I buy comes in plastic jugs   =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My situation is akin to that of @Langner91, albeit in a different jurisdiction. The municipality here issues small, standard recycling bins for glass and metal. Suffice it to say that the one for glass and metal was not big enough for our purposes. I have not been returning cans and bottles to recuperate the deposit. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    This thread and some responses made me chuckle with flashback memories. 42 years ago when we had this home designed and constructed a built in trash masher in the kitchen was an affordable “ luxury item”. Back in that era of my life there were brown beverages! Also back then the only time the word recycling was used in this area meant aluminum cans for Boy Scout fund drives. Anyway…I always got a kick out of busting liquor bottles to pieces in that trash masher! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mine goes in the trash. postal worker tried driving over my trash and got hung up on a bag full of green gin handles. caught in the act
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'm not a fan of clear but than I instantly remember I have Devil's Spit Bloody Mary mix in the fridge. I guess I'll go have some clear.....
    If you enjoy the brown water, try a bloody derby (sub bourbon for vodka).
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    We can’t crush cans we put into recycling, so our recycling drop is loud.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nothing. The flats (apartment) where I live do not recycle. Not happy about it…..but says nothing in this thread. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I had to give up brown water (Wellers) due to kidney problems.  Now drink clear alcohol (Svedka).  Wife drinks wine.  I save bottles for a week and put in recycling bin.  Only problem, neighbor said it sounds like a car wreck when I dump in the recycling bin!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing. The flats (apartment) where I live do not recycle. Not happy about it…..but says nothing in this thread. 
    Yeah, but when you visit here, we load the recycling bins pretty high, and fill them up too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Mine used to suggest I drank too much bourbon. It’s been devoid of adult beverage containers since Easter. We switched to iced tea. 
    Michiana, South of the border.