Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting New Cooker

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited October 2020 in EggHead Forum
Gozney Dome:

https://us.gozney.com/products/dome

Could be a great addition if it lives up to its billing.

Includes steam injection - that feature right there should sell to this @JohnInCarolina for sourdough loaves.
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I think someone posted about this a few days ago. Looks interesting though.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    There was a thread about the Dome about a week ago - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225886/ot-may-cost-me-a-divorce

Does look interesting. I'm curious how their steam injector works. It just looks like a funnel with a cork top that fits in the chimney on top - does it just do a slow drip into the oven? I need some action footage.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    HeavyG said:
    There was a thread about the Dome about a week ago - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225886/ot-may-cost-me-a-divorce

Does look interesting. I'm curious how their steam injector works. It just looks like a funnel with a cork top that fits in the chimney on top - does it just do a slow drip into the oven? I need some action footage.
    Not only does it just look like a cork with a funnel, it is just a cork and funnel.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    GregW said:
    I think someone posted about this a few days ago. Looks interesting though.
    Dang it, I searched on “Dome” before posting and found nothing related - sorry.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    If they can automate the air in ... to close loop the ambient temperature ... that would be a game changer.  But the thing looks small to me ... and I'm not sure about how easy access is when I want to cook 6 racks of ribs!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    This is a price point we need. There's a huge jump in price from the $400 Roccbox/Ooni to the $3,000 full size "portable" pizza ovens. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Meh, I got my pizza oven at CAD 1400 ... about USD 1050 ... it's amazing.
    Have had it for 3 years, used it lots, still holding up fine (no tarnishing or rusting) ... and cooks really, really good quality pizzas.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-stove-oven-range/city-of-toronto/thor-kitchen-wood-fired-pizza-oven/1464714318?undefined

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • I'm intrigued by this thing on several levels, but I will probably wait until @The Cen-Tex Smoker buys one and can give me a review. 

I joke... partly.  

I would like to have a "full-size" WFO at some point, but I'd probably go with something like one of the Fontana ovens.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I'm intrigued by this thing on several levels, but I will probably wait until @The Cen-Tex Smoker buys one and can give me a review. 

I joke... partly.  

I would like to have a "full-size" WFO at some point, but I'd probably go with something like one of the Fontana ovens.  
    I will probably buy one, I signed up on the notification list when they become available.  I think it is way smaller than it appears to be and that is perfect for me.  I’ll let you know how it goes 😂

Looks like you would need to continually feed the fire with those small sticks. Possibly more often than with a KBQ. Looks great as a pizza oven though.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Curious to see one in the wild- those wood splits must be chopstick sized based on the dimensions and the size of the food temp probe.  Being a little facetious but not by much. Just trying to picture how a wood fire would start and be tended with those smaller splits. Plus wondering the difficulty to make/find splits that size.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dawgtired said:
    Looks like you would need to continually feed the fire with those small sticks. Possibly more often than with a KBQ. Looks great as a pizza oven though.
    It's dual-fired, so that you can use wood or gas or both at the same time.  
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    I am really considering getting the dome when it comes out in natural gas. Did anyone on here buy one from the first launch? If you did, did they ship yet? I know the dates were pushed back a few times. Not sure if any shipped yet.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited June 2021
    Photo Egg said:
    Wolfpack said:
    Curious to see one in the wild- those wood splits must be chopstick sized based on the dimensions and the size of the food temp probe.  Being a little facetious but not by much. Just trying to picture how a wood fire would start and be tended with those smaller splits. Plus wondering the difficulty to make/find splits that size.  
    The Gozney Dome Splits Holder...

@Photo Egg - This is still hilarious. 
    New Orleans LA
  • HeavyG
    I've seen a couple youtube vids that have recently appeared from a fellow in the US that has received his Gozney Dome already.
    Looks like a pretty sweet oven and the stand looks pretty nice also.

Here's his unboxing vid:

He's also done vids with a gas cook and a wood cook.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    I’m still not sure I totally get this thing in the sense of whether or not I’d ever look to purchase one.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I wish more people would make videos.  We should have a thread dedicated to it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Legume said:
    I wish more people would make videos.  We should have a thread dedicated to it.
    ”YouTube - How I Do It”
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336

There are several mid to large size ovens out there for a good price that's nicer.  More cooking surface and can use other Dutch ovens etc in.  The dome is ok.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Maybe this is a good cooker, but based on the video in the original post link you would never know it.  They do not show anything being cooked.

But, having seen the video now, I will probably buy it so that I may toss pizza dough like a pro, probably worth the price for that alone.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • JohnInCarolina
    jdMyers said:

There are several mid to large size ovens out there for a good price that's nicer.  More cooking surface and can use other Dutch ovens etc in.  The dome is ok.
    Yep.  I’d be curious to know just how many of these things Gozney’s actually selling.
  • HeavyG
    jdMyers said:

Aren't you comparing apples/oranges here?
    The Alfa 4 Pizze is obviously a different class of pizza oven which costs more than twice the price of the Dome and is a wood fire only model.

• JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:
    jdMyers said:

Aren't you comparing apples/oranges here?
    The Alfa 4 Pizze is obviously a different class of pizza oven which costs more than twice the price of the Dome and is a wood fire only model.
    For me at least, once you're looking at ovens that cost more than a grand, it's more about build quality and overall utility than anything else.  It's an investment no matter what.  

I will say that the option to fire with gas is very appealing.  I'd be curious to know what other ovens have that ability that are a bit larger than the Roccbox and the Oonis. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2021
    jdMyers said:

How many others in that price range can use wood and gas?
    But I think once I reach the $1500 range, I would drop another $500 get a traditional brick style that I could use for other stuff like you mention above.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Photo Egg said:
    Wolfpack said:
    The Gozney Dome Splits Holder...

=)  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759

from their website:

The Gozney Dome is no longer on sale to the public. Exceptional demand from the Priority Pre-Sale has meant that lead-times are now very long and we’ve closed for new orders until further notice. 

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap