Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greek Chicken

Options
dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,268
I found this recipe for Greek Chicken on Youtube from Sam the Cooking Guy. I made it once last weekend and really enjoyed it so made it again today. It was a hit.

Served on made from scratch naan with a yogurt sauce and a Greek salad with real feta.

Yum.

Recipe:

https://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/2021/5/10/greek-chicken

Youtube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dlLQ6L4it4
Mountain View, CA

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I printed that one out; thanks for the Confirmation!  :)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    Sam’s recipes are legit.  Not the very healthy, but super good.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks fantastic. That pic belongs in a magazine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmourati
    Options
    caliking said:
    Looks fantastic. That pic belongs in a magazine. 
    Wow thanks. I find I am much better at taking photos during cooking. By the time everything comes together and we are ready to eat, I'm usually no longer able to wait.
    Mountain View, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Sam’s recipes are legit.  Not the very healthy, but super good.
    I'm convinced the one bite of the dish that Sam always has is about all he eats, because if he actually ate all of what he shows on his channel he'd be about 500 pounds.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I am cooking this tonight.  I tasted the marinade and I think it will be great!  Getting started on the naan now.

Options
    paqman said:

Thanks to the sideways orientation, that last pic looks like an alien escaping from his burning UFO.   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    oh boy - looks so gooooooood . . I am making this next !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Looks like a must try. Wondering if I should add some oregano, dry or fresh from the garden.
    canuckland
  • paqman
    Options
    Looks like a must try. Wondering if I should add some oregano, dry or fresh from the garden.
    I added 1 teaspoon if dried oregano

I know you don’t mind fish sauce but for those that are uneasy about it, you could use Worcestershire sauce instead.

edited June 2021
    Options
    paqman said:

I know you don’t mind fish sauce but for those that are uneasy about it, you could use Worcestershire sauce instead.
    Great minds think alike, just can't think Greek without oregano  :)
    Speaking of fish sauce, back in the day Three Crabs used to be the forum favourite, I'm since moved on to Red Boat 40N, yuge difference.
    canuckland
  • paqman
    Options
    paqman said:

Speaking of fish sauce, back in the day Three Crabs used to be the forum favourite, I'm since moved on to Red Boat 40N, yuge difference.
    Red boat here too, it is kinda hard to find around here but I found a store that carries it pretty reliably.

And yes, oregano is a must IMHO.

Options
    Botch said:
    paqman said:

Thanks to the sideways orientation, that last pic looks like an alien escaping from his burning UFO.   =)
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    paqman said:

I’m curious about the Red Boat, Gary.  Looks like I can get it here in the states, at least online.  How did you stumble on to it?
  • dmourati
    Options
    I bought a big thing of Red Boat on Amazon. Lasted about a year. Good reminder to re-up. I use it in my Carne Asada almost every week.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Premium-Fish-Sauce/dp/B00B617XK2/
    Mountain View, CA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    paqman said:

I’m curious about the Red Boat, Gary.  Looks like I can get it here in the states, at least online.  How did you stumble on to it?
    I’ve seen it mentioned in the forum several times over the years, as early as 2012, you can do a site:eggheadforum.com search. 

Initially I had trouble finding it, paid high$ for a tiny bottle at a trendy health food store downtown.  About a year later IIRC I literally stumbled upon the 17 fl oz bottle at a local Asian store for under seven loonies, it was pre COVID though. My Three Crabs bottle ended up in the drain.

canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    For those of us blessed with Wegmans, they sell Red Boat.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice.  We have a fairly new Wegman’s here, and I haven’t been to it yet.  Guess this is as good an excuse as any!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Nice.  We have a fairly new Wegman’s here, and I haven’t been to it yet.  Guess this is as good an excuse as any!

Wegman's is a great chain.
    My Wegman's sells Red Boat for $8 and some change for the small 8oz bottle.
    My Whole Foods charges $14 and some change for the large 17oz bottle and about the same price as Wegman's for the small bottle.
    Amazon sells the 17oz bottle for $12 and some change. I've never had a broken bottle via Amazon (tho I probly just cursed that).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Strangely, some Walmarts carry Red Boat. I have even found the Walkerswood in a Walmart. For any chance of success, use the Walmart website for a search of the stores in an acceptable driving range. If you do manage to find what you are looking for, it will be far cheaper than Amazon in my experience.
    For reference, I don't frequent Walmart, but sometimes they are the only local source for an obscure product. 
  • NDG
    Options
    We gave this a go - nice recipe - nan was good and fun to make, I just used electric griddle set to 400, it was warm tasty and foldable, but I will try a different griddle next time.  I didn’t the the “top bubbles” that formed like sam did in his video.  Ideas ?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • caliking
    Options
    NDG said:
    We gave this a go - nice recipe - nan was good and fun to make, I just used electric griddle set to 400, it was warm tasty and foldable, but I will try a different griddle next time.  I didn’t the the “top bubbles” that formed like sam did in his video.  Ideas ?

This looks so good! Thanks for bumping the thread... I need to try it. 

Re: the naan/pita, my theory is that it needs some heat from the top side to puff up or get blistered. 

• dmourati
    Options
    I need to make this one again!
    Mountain View, CA
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Just printed off the recipe, I'll be making this soon!
    LBGE
    AL
  • NDG
    Options
    caliking said:
    NDG said:

Re: the naan/pita, my theory is that it needs some heat from the top side to puff up or get blistered. 
    @caliking top heat makes a lot of sense . . to be honest, I would not call this recipe NAN (esp considering your expertise) but it was still fun to have a fresh warm "wrap" . . I might do same recipe nxt time, just blast it on my Blackstone Pizza Oven so I get bottom/top heat.
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    now i need a new cooker to make pita bread.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Looks great, I’m going to use this soon.
  • caliking
    Options
    NDG said:
    caliking said:
    NDG said:

@caliking top heat makes a lot of sense . . to be honest, I would not call this recipe NAN (esp considering your expertise) but it was still fun to have a fresh warm "wrap" . . I might do same recipe nxt time, just blast it on my Blackstone Pizza Oven so I get bottom/top heat.
    Blackstone pizza oven should do the trick.

Naan or not, I like the thinner  flatbread that you made. You get more chicken and stuff in a bite.