Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET, How you cook it?

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
“How difficult could it be to turnout a praiseworthy brisket, smoked low and slow on a BGE?” 

I am glad you asked.

In the last 5-6 years, I have been wanting to up my brisket game. In the process, I have tried:

Sources:
Snake River
COSTCO
Butchers
and other on line suppliers

Grade:
Wagyu
Prime
Choice

Lump:
Rockwood
Fogo
BGE
Carbon del Sol
others

Smoking wood:
Post Oak
White Oak
Sugar Maple
Pecan
Hickory
Mesquite

Methods:
Injection
Liquid pan
Wrapped
Not wrapped
Flat end wrapped in foil
Flat end not wrapped in foil.

Rubs:
Purchased
Self Made formula

FTC/Rest Time:
40 mins
2 hours
4 hours
6 hours
8 hours

All cooked to toothpick.

Best results:

Source/grade
Snake River, Black - tried gold but way too much fat. 

Lump: Tie Rockwood & Fogo

Smoking wood: 1/3 White Oak, 2/3 Pecan.

Method: Wrapped at 165°F and flat end wrapped in foil

Rubs: Home made, by far.

FTC/Rest Time: 6-8 hours. 

Turns out excellent every time.

I will be adding pictures to this post this evening when serving with a few friends.

Please add the method for your “go to” for brisket cooks.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    Thanks for sharing @YukonRon.

I’ve been egging for 10+ years and guess I’m a little intimidated by the brisket. Never tried one....even though I enjoy eating them.

Do you use a Digi-Q or anything like that to aid in temperature control for the long cook?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    edited June 2021
    Great way to capture the foundations for a praiseworthy cook.  The variable in every cook is the "friggin cow" and the audibles it brings every time.  As you well know it is not a "fire and forget" event but requires a solid level of attention and some decisions along the way.
    Unless you live and eat solely CT (Central Texas) brisket, the above will deliver about the best you will get anywhere else.  FWIW-
    (Edit: glad you are back here...)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    @attaboy - PM sent with some brisket info that may encourage you to give it a shot.  It's a fun cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    attaboy said:
    Thanks for sharing @YukonRon.

I’ve been egging for 10+ years and guess I’m a little intimidated by the brisket. Never tried one....even though I enjoy eating them.

Do you use a Digi-Q or anything like that to aid in temperature control for the long cook?

Just the occasional sacrificial virgin, but around here, there aren’t any. Just kidding. I go with the vent and daisy wheel. Oddly enough, I measured my XL against my new State of the Art gas oven, and my egg held a more consistent temp than my oven. I go with 225°F, and hope for the best, and it is still more reliable.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    So... if I have this right, you have tried:

at least 3 different sources of brisket
    3 different grades
    at least 4 different types of lump
    6 different types of smoking wood
    6 different cooking methods
    5 different FTC holds

This translates into roughly 6500 briskets, assuming you've isolated each variable to ascertain what works better than other choices, etc.  

Now, you said you've experimented with this over 6 years.  That's about 2100 days, give or take.  

So you've been cooking about 3 briskets a day for about 6 years now.  Damn son.  After all of that, I do trust your opinion for sure!  ;)

Heehee!  A Perfect illustration on the difference between a guv'mint-funded perfectionist in Academia, and a grunt engineer working for a for-profit commercial entity.   =)  While it is ideal to only change one variable per experiment (and multiple experiments per variable depending on the level of statistical confidence you want/can afford), in the real world, both in industry and home cooking, you need to change more than one thing at a time (this was a big mistake for me when I was going pizza-crazy).  

And John, I know you already know this; just having some fun.  :tongue:  

When I worked at Thiokol I was very involved with the last ground test of the RSRM (Space Shuttle booster), which was one test firing with, iirc, 721 different mods to it.  I was tasked with developing a methodology to make sure one mod didn't interfere with another mod during the test (yeah, I loved my life).  I came up with a brute-force, "interference matrix" set of spreadsheets that forced us to consider every combination on the rocket, both me and the SMEs involved.  It took over two months to complete it, but I got max Kudos from the Space Shuttle Chief Scientist from NASA, when I presented our results, in front of my entire civilian chain of command up to the CEO of Thiokol; one of the few high points of my career.  I understand Thiokol (heck, I don't even know who owns them now) were still using those matrices.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    @Botch - Bayesian inference is your friend here, in the real world and the academic one ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Okay, I've never cooked a brisket. What does FTC mean?
    Thanks.....
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • YukonRon
    So... if I have this right, you have tried:

at least 3 different sources of brisket
    3 different grades
    at least 4 different types of lump
    6 different types of smoking wood
    6 different cooking methods
    5 different FTC holds

This translates into roughly 6500 briskets, assuming you've isolated each variable to ascertain what works better than other choices, etc.  

Now, you said you've experimented with this over 6 years.  That's about 2100 days, give or take.  

So you've been cooking about 3 briskets a day for about 6 years now.  Damn son.  After all of that, I do trust your opinion for sure!  ;)

These are all “one off” cooks, these are the variables, this is the result. Admitting, when something was a bad failure for me, that approach was not pursued again......and that my friend, dumps those numbers significantly. There were many.

Like a few people, the shock you get from sticking your finger in the socket, keeps you from repeating it again. In my lab, they are referred to as excellent failures, and that path is closed when other paths are known to have shown better success.

Whatever fault you may find with the process, which I am certain would be valid, I can assure you, bad brisket and bad lump, is easy to say, “Fück that, never again.” Which is EXACTLY my process.

A perfect example for us, was mesquite on BGE Lump over RD choice. Talk about an elimination round for me....chose not to select those variables ever again, and I have not. Not that those choices should be eliminated for everyone, just not my wheelhouse.

My toughest critic is My Beautiful Wife. I turn in something less than great, her first words will be “chili.”  I have made a lot of chili. I have a freezer almost dedicated to it.

I have cooked a lot of brisket, perhaps not as much as many, but enough to share what I have found to work for me. I am guessing a couple hundred, but that is pure extrapolation. Maybe less, maybe more? I do know in a period of about 18 months I did 93, and those were mostly for charity and friends dealing with stuff that needed some help. Yes I sampled a bit of each. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe, but that is a lot of chili I did not have to make.

That said, just sharing what I have learned during the “suspect as can be” process.

I will also share this is not definitive, as I asked for others to share what they have learned. A purely selfish gesture on my behalf, as I am hoping to enhance my putrid skill level.

As always your mileage may vary. Never meant to appear as the end all authority for brisket on the BGE, if it appeared so, it was not intended. Just sharing things I have tried, my successes and miserable failures. (AKA in my house “chili.”)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Corv said:
    Okay, I've never cooked a brisket. What does FTC mean?
    Thanks.....
    Foil Towel Cooler, some use Butcher Paper, Towel, Cooler. Used to let the Brisket rest before serving. 

Brisket, wrapped in either butcher paper, of foil, covered in towels, placed in a cooler.

My experience has been to let it rest for a while prior to carving and serving. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    @YukonRon I was just giving you the business, my friend.  I’m pretty sure you’ve cooked many more briskets than I have over the past 5-6 years.  And I’ve made my share of chili as well ;)
  • lousubcap
    I would take that every time.  I may be a soft target B) .  Great ring as well. I'm sure all enjoyed and the "to-go" says that,  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    No real preferences on grade or "brand". I've tried SRF a couple times, not really worth the extra money to me. I choose whatever is on sale. Most of the time for me that's a choice grade from Kroger. I do however nitpick when picking one out. I examine the thickness of the flat, the marbling, and how flexible the brisket is. The thicker the flat and the more flexible the brisket is the better the end product at least in my experience.

Once I've got that down, next is wood preference. For me that is either post oak or pecan.

Fuel makes no difference to me but is typically B&B, Rockwood, or Fogo. Whatever I have at the time.

Seasoning 75% of the time is just S&P
     25% of the time Meat Church Holy Cow.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    @YukonRon I was just giving you the business, my friend.  I’m pretty sure you’ve cooked many more briskets than I have over the past 5-6 years.  And I’ve made my share of chili as well ;)
    Why are you and Yukon Ron getting flagged for “troll” posts?  There is nothing wrong with your posts.
  • YukonRon
    No real preferences on grade or "brand". I've tried SRF a couple times, not really worth the extra money to me. I choose whatever is on sale. Most of the time for me that's a choice grade from Kroger. I do however nitpick when picking one out. I examine the thickness of the flat, the marbling, and how flexible the brisket is. The thicker the flat and the more flexible the brisket is the better the end product at least in my experience.

Once I've got that down, next is wood preference. For me that is either post oak or pecan.

Fuel makes no difference to me but is typically B&B, Rockwood, or Fogo. Whatever I have at the time.

Seasoning 75% of the time is just S&P
     25% of the time Meat Church Holy Cow.
    I have not tried B&B. I have seen it at a couple places out west when visiting. 

Thank you for sharing. Appreciate the insight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Jcl5150 said:
    Why are you and Yukon Ron getting flagged for “troll” posts?  There is nothing wrong with your posts.
    There is someone here who troll flags nearly every single one of my posts, regardless of what they read.   I’m guessing they’re just jealous of how clean I’m able to keep my MiniMax.

Ron is probably just getting caught in the crossfire, because nobody who makes bourbon slushies for the masses should ever be flagged for anything, if you stop to think about it.
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    I would take that every time.  I may be a soft target B) .  Great ring as well. I'm sure all enjoyed and the "to-go" says that,  
    Thank you for the kind words. I have a question, and had been meaning to ask, how is the stick fed working out for you? 

Better question for me to ask, I suppose, is that your “no doubt about it” approach to brisket and beef ribs?

I am getting closer to calling it quits with work, and we are in the process of clearing out the home for our move. I am trying to rationalize taking the Eggs, or starting with something else when I get to wherever we end up.

By the way, here in the Highlands, in our front yard last night:
    Photos taken of our house by our neighbor, across the street, last night.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    I know, I was worried that I gave the wrong impression. I am still searching for that Holy Grail, for brisket off the egg, however getting damn good at chili in the process, got that going for me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    @YukonRon -As you know, the stick burner is a whole different animal that requires near continuous care and feeding.  I find it does produce a different taste than the BGE, more pronounced with ribs than brisket for me.  It is not the "have to cook this on the stick burner" deal.  
    I find the versatility of the BGE to be quite attractive, especially if a long duration cook (brisket or butt) is on the menu for an early afternoon.  I'm too old for overnight stick feeding.  
    Wherever you land, as Leroy "Satchel" Paige said, "Don't look back, somethin' might be gainin' on ya!"
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Jcl5150 said:
    There is someone here who troll flags nearly every single one of my posts, regardless of what they read.   I’m guessing they’re just jealous of how clean I’m able to keep my MiniMax.

Ron is probably just getting caught in the crossfire, because nobody who makes bourbon slushies for the masses should ever be flagged for anything, if you stop to think about it.
    Ah.  That’s weird.
  • YukonRon
    Jcl5150 said:
    Jcl5150 said:

Ah.  That’s weird.
    All this time I thought John was being unfairly treated because he is my friend. 

Flags. Just a way of saying I will never be forgiven for being the perceived åśšhœlè I am. I am good with it, as long as they feel they have accomplished anything by doing so.

Good for them. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Just touching on @Botch from his post about slicing brisket the proper way....the mess I make in slicing gets piled on to sliders. Last night we had sliders with buns from Hawaiian Roles, Grillo dill pickle slices, tomatoes, vidalia onion, havarti cheese, Dukes, and grey poupon.

I will post images of those today. They were/are awesome. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    YukonRon said:
    Just touching on @Botch from his post about slicing brisket the proper way....the mess I make in slicing gets piled on to sliders. Last night we had sliders with buns from Hawaiian Roles, Grillo dill pickle slices, tomatoes, vidalia onion, havarti cheese, Dukes, and grey poupon.

I will post images of those today. They were/are awesome. 
    Sliders are about the only reason I do brisket, it all goes there and people love them....+1 on the Hawaiian Rolls , Artesian rolls are great as well....Pickled red onions and roasted garlic Aioli ....these are staples @ our events
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thank you for the kind words. I have a question, and had been meaning to ask, how is the stick fed working out for you? 

Better question for me to ask, I suppose, is that your “no doubt about it” approach to brisket and beef ribs?

I am getting closer to calling it quits with work, and we are in the process of clearing out the home for our move. I am trying to rationalize taking the Eggs, or starting with something else when I get to wherever we end up.

That is one big wabbit
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:

That is one big wabbit
    I was wondering if she would taste better "raised direct" or "low and slow"....
    Clinton, Iowa
  • YukonRon
    I like Cheetos a bit better these days.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Langner91 said:
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:

That is one big wabbit
    I was wondering if she would taste better "raised direct" or "low and slow"....
    With deer meet, like back straps, screaming hot and fast.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:

That is one big wabbit
    I thought Suzy was going to freak out about her flowers, but the only damage was some tracks in her garden.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky