Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry smoked braised beef short ribs in a red wine and port reduction

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
edited May 2021 in Beef
Cooked this last weekend in the large Egg to showcase smoking meat in the Egg to a friend. He was mightily impressed. Dusted with some of @Nature Boy's Redeye Express and smoked direct for 3 hours, then braised in a red wine and port sauce. Full recipe in the link below:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2021/05/01/braised-beef-short-ribs-with-red-wine-sauce/

@lousubcap @Buckwoody Egger @FarmingPhD @kl8ton this is what I showed you guys at zero dark thirty this morning. @CPFC1905 another short rib recipe for you. :D

Dusted with Redeye Express:

Smoking in the large Egg:

After 3 hours and ready to go into the sauce:

In the casserole dish to braise:

Finished and plated:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    That looks fantastic 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Dude.

or 

Mate.

That's all I've got.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Damn!

Options
    Outstanding!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Looks even better thru clear lens!  Incredible!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Cheers folks. @Foghorn either is acceptable. 😉
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Oh my!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Oh man, does that looks good!
    Stillwater, MN
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    Beautiful. Great cook 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Fantastic looking cook! Wow.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gorgeous cooking sir. Thanks for sprinkling our stuff on your hard-earned food!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fan-farage-ing-tastic!
    Politicians Are they even CAPABLE of eating food - Daily Star

Options
    @Nature Boy cheers! SWMBO had an idea to sous vide the next set. I've not actually tried sous vide with your rubs, I assume they will work, do you have any specific advice on using DP rubs with sous vide?

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Shazam!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    @Nature Boy cheers! SWMBO had an idea to sous vide the next set. I've not actually tried sous vide with your rubs, I assume they will work, do you have any specific advice on using DP rubs with sous vide?
    Cheers! My only advice is to make sure the sous vide is only part of the cooking process. You can season before hand, but once out of the bath and the bag you'll want to put some fire to the food to build up your flavor crust. Happy cookin'! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo, sir! Bookmarked.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stormbringer
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Cheers! My only advice is to make sure the sous vide is only part of the cooking process. You can season before hand, but once out of the bath and the bag you'll want to put some fire to the food to build up your flavor crust. Happy cookin'! Chris
    @Nature Boy thanks, that's exactly what I was planning on doing. Sous vide for 24 hours at 165F and then smoke for 3-4 hours to bring the IT up to 195F (or until it's ready).  I think I'll need to refresh the rub at this point as well.

This would be for a cook without the full braising sauce, however I anticipate enough liquid coming out of the sous vide bag to combine with red wine, port and some thinly sliced onion to create a delicious jus. Possibly a bit of cider vinegar in there too.