Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Not good deals?  Crappy brand?  I just vaguely remember some folks discussing them and thought I'd post the link.

Options
    SonVolt said:
    Not good deals?  Crappy brand?  I just vaguely remember some folks discussing them and thought I'd post the link.

I think he bought a pair a few pages back and missed this sale by a few days....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Oh, no - they're wonderful. I just dropped $259 bucks on a pair last week. The one's on Woot are the cheaper plastic lenses though, so there's a silver lining I guess. Glass lenses FTW. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    edited April 2021
    Options
    For some reason I've been stuck on getting a PK. Not sure it brings anything to the table that I don't already have...
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited April 2021
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    For some reason I've been stuck getting a PK. Not sure it brings anything to the table that I don't already have...
    Who wants to tell him who the OTHER big PK user here is?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• SonVolt
    edited April 2021
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    For some reason I've been stuck getting a PK. Not sure it brings anything to the table that I don't already have...

I wanted something simple and portable for grilling and ended up getting a handgrill from Dement and using it on top of my gasser. It's worked great and doesn't take up much space like a dedicated cooker. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    @SonVolt Now that is pretty cool!

• SonVolt
    Options
    They got some really cool shiz if you wanna waste some money. 

https://grillsbydemant.com
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Replacing my 20+ yo 3.5 ton Craftsman floor jack (it got sluggish and I messed up trying to fix it  :)

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Replacing my 20+ yo 3.5 ton Craftsman floor jack (it got sluggish and I messed up trying to fix it  :)

I bought that same exact floor jack maybe 4 years ago.  It was on sale at Costco.  Has some aluminum in it, still heavy, but zero problems so far.

Options

I've been using a Logitech "Harmony One" to control my home theater setup for about ten years now, love it.  
    This past week Logitech announced they're no longer making universal remotes, although they will continue to "tech support" them (no idea how long).  I purchased a spare, as according to my HT forum there are no other decent URs out there anymore.  Hoping my existing Harmony One lasts just a few days longer than I do, we'll see.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Canugghead
    edited April 2021
    Options

I bought that same exact floor jack maybe 4 years ago.  It was on sale at Costco.  Has some aluminum in it, still heavy, but zero problems so far.

This is regular costco.ca online price with shipping included, it was on sale couple of months ago at CAD$129 but I missed it. Usually cheaper in store IF you can find it but we're in a 28-day lockdown.

Current costco.com price is USD$159.

Only the two red sides are aluminum, rest is steel.  Ya still weighs in at 58lb but should be easier to handle than my old all-steel 3.5 ton Craftsman.

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, exactly the same one I bought.  It was on sale for $99.  Probably my best big floor jack.  I have an all-aluminum but only a 2 ton an a beat up all-steel also.
    Options
    Yep, exactly the same one I bought.  It was on sale for $99.  Probably my best big floor jack.  I have an all-aluminum but only a 2 ton an a beat up all-steel also.
    Do you recall if it's ready to use out of the box, or does it require some sort of pre bleeding?
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Do you recall if it's ready to use out of the box, or does it require some sort of pre bleeding?
    I seem to recall it was ready to go. 

Options
    Botch said:

I've been using a Logitech "Harmony One" to control my home theater setup for about ten years now, love it.  
    This past week Logitech announced they're no longer making universal remotes, although they will continue to "tech support" them (no idea how long).  I purchased a spare, as according to my HT forum there are no other decent URs out there anymore.  Hoping my existing Harmony One lasts just a few days longer than I do, we'll see.  
    I have the same, it is awesome. I do hope they don't stop support for the software, as it's so easy to program the remote by simply picking the hardware it needs to control.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Good to know, thanks @nolaegghead
    canuckland
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    For some reason I've been stuck on getting a PK. Not sure it brings anything to the table that I don't already have...
    Which model are you interested in? I have a PK Original, it's best feature is it's made in the USA. Sadly the other models that PK sells are all made overseas
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    GregW said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Which model are you interested in? I have a PK Original, it's best feature is it's made in the USA. Sadly the other models that PK sells are all made overseas
    The Original. I’d primarily use as a burger and hotdog cooker. Maybe sear steaks using my grill grates

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have a brand new Harmony remote in the box somewhere around here.  Might be 8 years old tho.
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    GregW said:
    ColtsFan said:
    The Original. I’d primarily use as a burger and hotdog cooker. Maybe sear steaks using my grill grates
    I have enjoyed using the Original. I would suggest purchasing the replacement $79 stainless cooking grid. It is far easier to keep clean. It still will develop a light rust, but nothing a brush can't handle.
    As far as the grill grates go, I have a set and I do use them on the Original. They do a decent job, but they are a real pain to clean. I'm not sure that I would purchase them again.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Should I?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Check to see if the ceramics are cracked. If they aren’t then buy it. You can always resell it for more than that.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Oh, no - they're wonderful. I just dropped $259 bucks on a pair last week. The one's on Woot are the cheaper plastic lenses though, so there's a silver lining I guess. Glass lenses FTW. 
    The one downside of glass lenses is weight though. From the perspective of staying in place on your face, I’ve found that it makes a difference. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Woke up in the middle of the night, order a couple a pairs.  Thanks!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    SonVolt said:

The one downside of glass lenses is weight though. From the perspective of staying in place on your face, I’ve found that it makes a difference. 
    +1 I have the same frames one with the green mirror in poly and the blue mirror in glass. With respect to clarity, I can not tell the difference. The blue glass is significantly heavier so when I switch between them on the water, the weight difference is noticeable. If I only had one pair, I probably wouldn’t notice the weight one way or another. To me, the proper base color (amber or grey) for the conditions is more important than a few grams of weight even though they are noticeable.

If they had my frames, I would have picked up another pair for the other car. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Should I?

That one cant be too old or "well used". It has a rEGGulator top, and the updated bands/hinges. You can't go wrong!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SonVolt
    edited April 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

I need the durability of glass. The plastic lenses scratch very, very easily for me.  Glass can be wiped clean on the go without worry of grit maring the surface. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    GregW said:
    ColtsFan said:
    If you are gonna get one get the 360. On the original the bottom slide vents are up under the grill and get hot AF and the grill is already low so you have to squat down and look under it. The 360 is a much better design and come with the marine grade stainless grates on cooking and fire grate level so by the time you upgrade the original the cost arent that far apart. Dinner last night on the 360 its a fun grill to play with I will never get rid of mine.