Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie effort on some pork tenderloins; suggestions welcome

SurfnGrill
SurfnGrill Posts: 10
New to BGE as of December 2020, I've been reading posts and watching videos. While I still stress over little things like the temp and cook time (I know, it's done when the meat says it's done. Would somebody tell my wife?), I've been having fun and haven't ruined a meal yet; which is my number one goal. 
Today's Pre-Easter Tenderloin Feaster went like this: Smoked a pair of relatively fat-free tenderloins. The first, I butterflied, stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and chopped jalapeños, then dusted with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, wrapped 'em in bacon and topped it off with Flatiron Pepper Co's "Four Pepper Blend". Plenty of heat, yes?
The second one was for our family with milder tastes. Olive oil, brown sugar, then a light coating of Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head.
Indirect cook at 250. Was planning to glaze at 130, then pull at 140. But the internal temps jumped quicker than I thought and all were pulled between 145-150. A short rest, lots of hands digging in while I was attempting to slice and the results were unanimously positive. But I'm always looking to improve and would welcome any tenderloin suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
"There are a million ways to surf, and as long as you're smiling, you're doing it right"

Large BGE - FL

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Not sure you need any advice, those both look pretty great to me.

On the temps, in my experience you really have to watch them closely once they’re over 110 or so.  They have a tendency to run up quickly after that, especially if you’re cooking them direct.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Those look great. All I would add is maybe a little direct heat at the end to add some more color. Did these the other night and at low 130s started searing.
  • I’d be pleased with that result.  In fact, I’m going to steal that cream cheese bacon thing.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Brining meat a couple of days in advance has been a game changer for me.  The salt changes the protein structure in the meat so that it retains moisture and stays tender.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  As above, you delivered those in great fashion.  Nailed 'em!
    You have the finish-line criteria dialed in and sometimes that concept takes quite a protracted period of time (if ever) to realize.
    Again-welcome and great result!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Welcome, and you need no advice ('cept maybe for the wife thing, I suggest the intranet).

And I had copyrighted the phrase "Pre-Easter Tenderloin Feaster" a couple hours before your post, so please send me all your money.  :tongue:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Welcome aboard!  For the rest of you, I've known @SurfnGrill for more decades than either of us would care to admit.  He's been very patient - waiting several months for approval after he originally registered.  He's got some great cooks in his repertoire that he'll share with us over time.  His texts to me have been much like this post - legitimately asking for help because he wants to improve while his starting point is already at the pro level.

It's great to have you on board.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Welcome.Looking at that you won’t get any advice from me. Fantastic!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thanks for all of the support and kind words. And yes: @Foghorn has been a huge help; even conversing with me on New Year's Day when my Boston Butt was in danger. It's really great to see the level of support on this site. Looking forward to more interesting cooks...

"There are a million ways to surf, and as long as you're smiling, you're doing it right"

Large BGE - FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Welcome! The food looks great! Happy holidays!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    not that I can add much to your skill set, but I brought a bacon wrapped, jalapeño stuffed 3 pepper cheese pork tenderloin once at a small town market before I moved and now that is what I like to cook if'n I can find the same cheese
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I believe pork tenderloin is the most underrated protein we have to work with. It is so versatile, and is delicious in just about any method you could choose to cook. 

It has been a favorite of mine forever, but then again, I am a porkaphile.

Excellent work, and welcome to the cult. Having @Foghorn as a friend, does not suck. Good guy, great mentor.

Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    I think you nailed the cook. Well done!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    You nailed it! BTW I've had my egg since 2012 and still haven't convinced my wife that the meat will be done when it reaches the proper temp ;-)

Above all enjoy yourself and have fun

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
    edited April 2021
    It looks like you don't need any help, really.

Just to give you other ideas, here is a pork tenderloin recipe that I tried and everyone loved it:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bacon-herb-wrapped-pork-tenderloin-recipe-1944350

This is the post I made about it on the old forum, I hope the pics show up~ I did not sear as in the recipe, rather par-cooked the bacon before wrapping and egged it til barely 135 degrees internal, then rested to 140.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1395687

Good luck and enjoy your Egg.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    That looks really good, and I don't know of anything that would improve it. But you might also try that method with a loin roast instead of a tenderloin. I do way more loins than tenderloins. More forgiving and more meat! You can even do the multiple butterfly routine and roll them with your filling. And there is more surface area to cover with bacon!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • They look great to mee. I've done several versions, including butterflied and rolle as well as whole tenderloin. For both I usually use Cluck & Squeal or an all purpose dry seasoning. I pull my off at 140.......might be high for some folks, but, I still find it juicy.

Large BGE, Weber Genesis CP310 and Weber Q1200 (camping)

There is no bad day if you're grilling !

Dave - Oshawa, ON
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Foghorn said:
    Welcome aboard!  For the rest of you, I've known @SurfnGrill for more decades than either of us would care to admit.  He's been very patient - waiting several months for approval after he originally registered.  He's got some great cooks in his repertoire that he'll share with us over time.  His texts to me have been much like this post - legitimately asking for help because he wants to improve while his starting point is already at the pro level.

It's great to have you on board.
    Well if you’ve got @Foghorn on your side, you are well ahead of the game! welcome, and post away!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle