Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Tacos

Some of y’all know I enjoy cooking things the hard way. It’s spring break for me and I was hungry for fish tacos. I decided I wanted to make my tortillas from scratch. So I started with 500 g of dried blue corn from Masienda. Mixed with 5 g calcium hydroxide and 1000 g of water. I boiled the corn gently for 45 minutes. Then on the back of the stove covered to rest overnight. This morning I ground the corn to make masa for the tortillas. 

This was my great grandmother’s dough bowl. I get a real kick out of using it. 
I ran the corn through the molino twice and this is what I had after pulling it together. 

I washed my metate and got it ready for later. 

I didn’t get pics of the next steps. I made some chipotle aioli and my version of Chuy’s creamy jalapeño sauce. I whipped up a small batch of Mexican cole slaw as well. 
Then it was time to make tortillas. I kneaded the masa on the metate and added water until the spirits of my ancestors told me it was ready. 

Then the fun begins. Just give the masa a final grind on the metate to get it as fine as possible. 

Then on the comal. Mine is really high tech - it’s a piece of seasoned steel plate. 

The tortillas just rested while I got ready to fry the fish. 

Then we fried up some tilapia. I know, I know - I should have got my butt out and caught my own fish - I’m sorry. The wife had me taking care of “honey do’s”. This was a simple flour, egg wash, and Panko breading. 

I assembled the tacos by placing a smear of chipotle aioli on the tortilla, then the fish. I topped with the Mexican slaw and a bit of guacamole. A squeeze of lime finished it off. 

I was really happy with the way the tortillas (and the tacos) turned out. A lot of trouble for sure, but I enjoy it when I have time. Cheers y’all. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Wow.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    My goodness!
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I made a ham sandwich on rye I was pretty proud of until I saw that.

Way to go. Really. I got nothing. Serious. Nothing at all.

You freaking rock.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I made some corn tortillas from a bag of Maseca once. Added some fish and taco stuff and called them fish tacos. Thought they were pretty good (my first scratch tortillas), but I had to look up metate, had no idea. I do have a comal though (pizza steel). =)

Yours look, umm, better. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    @SciAggie - Looks to me like you enjoyed the process and the output. I smile every time I see you working the Masienda and the food you produce with it. You are a cooking rock star in my opinion. Grind on.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    YukonRon said:
    I made a ham sandwich on rye I was pretty proud of until I saw that.

Way to go. Really. I got nothing. Serious. Nothing at all.

You freaking rock.
    Minor adjustments @YukonRon, next time start with a pig and a field of rye...
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Beautiful!  Felt like I could almost taste it.  Love G-grandma's bowl - what a treasure!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    @SciAggie Awesome, just awesome!  Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Drooling here.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Love the photo quality as much as the food! 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Thanks for the extensive write-up and photos; looks wonderful!

And I think, once I've had the second covid shot, I need to make a pilgrimage to Albuquerque (they don't specialize in fish tacos, but damn those tortillas!)   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I don’t even know where to begin. I absolutely love this kind of post. I’m a real sucker for traditional Mexican cooking. I love grandmas bowl and the metate. To be honest, you could of used turds instead of fish and this still would of been a great post. Awesome brother 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    You win!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Excellent post thank you for sharing!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Awesome, thank you so  much for sharing.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Whoa mama!    You had me at Fish Tacos, then it just got better.    Next time you do this let me know, I'll hit the bay then run up some Redfish, Specks or Flounder for you.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I had to stop thinking about all the other stuff whizzing around in my brain, so I could really soak it all in. 

I can sincerely say that this cook/post brightened my day. Just farkin' stupendous!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Boutros Boutros-Ghali
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Speechless.
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Thank all y’all for the kind comments. I’m glad my muddling around in the kitchen brings a smile to some of you. I enjoy this sort of cook. Perhaps the day is coming when I can share my table with others as Covid winds down. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SciAggie said:
    I enjoy this sort of cook.
    Me too. I have actually got to where I prefer Mexican food over anything else. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Unreal. Man just dang!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle