Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe prep

Thanks for the add into this group.  While I am new to using the Egg, I am also new to cooking in general... sorta getting a better-late-than-never start.   I have a few rib cooks under my belt and I am learning temp control..(thanks to this forum for info on that).    I need tricks/tips about preparing meats safely and efficiently....easy ways to keep raw food particles from contaminating something else, etc.   Is there a go-to standard source of info for this topic?  I want to not only be clean and safe, but also simple and efficient.   

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I'd start with this page as it has info on a variety of things that will help out someone new to all this stuff. Lots of other good info on a lot of other relevant topics on the Amazing Ribs site - it's worth spending some time there.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    My one small tip for grilling is that I always take "raw" and "finish" spatulas and tongs out to cook with.  The raw tongs/spatulas load the meat on the grill, and are used until about halfway through the cook (where the surface of the meat is out of the danger zone).  Then I switch to the finish tongs/spatulas so that the food is not cross contaminated.  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    My one small tip for grilling is that I always take "raw" and "finish" spatulas and tongs out to cook with.  The raw tongs/spatulas load the meat on the grill, and are used until about halfway through the cook (where the surface of the meat is out of the danger zone).  Then I switch to the finish tongs/spatulas so that the food is not cross contaminated.  
    Most of the time I just use my hands.  =)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• kappa
    kappa Posts: 5
    Good info.  Thanks.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    welcome aboard If you really want to go full  blown on safety servsafe.com and you can get your food handlers certificate, even if you are not serving to the public,it is a great class and will serve you well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Only put a glove on one hand.  That’s your dirty hand (in terms of handling raw protein, not touching surfaces, etc.)  Keep the other one clean.  Don’t cross the streams.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Copious quantities of gloves for handling at a minimum.  The "don't cross the streams" suggestion is a good one but most occasions I find too hard to manage.  Thus the gloves- you can never change them too frequently.  I honestly try to plan the next few moves but invariably I end up hosing or calling an audible such that it's time for another set of gloves.  FWIW- (all this was a food safety approach-nothing changed with covid.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Only put a glove on one hand.  That’s your dirty hand (in terms of handling raw protein, not touching surfaces, etc.)  Keep the other one clean.  Don’t cross the streams.
    In the parlance of hip-hop, this is called "using the Michael Jackson" defense against pathogenic food organisms.

Toss your sponges, dirtiest thing in the kitchen 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    Copious quantities of gloves for handling at a minimum.  The "don't cross the streams" suggestion is a good one but most occasions I find too hard to manage.  Thus the gloves- you can never change them too frequently.  I honestly try to plan the next few moves but invariably I end up hosing or calling an audible such that it's time for another set of gloves.  FWIW- (all this was a food safety approach-nothing changed with covid.)
    The issue with two gloves is when you need to touch a surface that you want to keep clean.  If both hands are gloved, you have to take one of them off and then likely toss it.  Or be prepared to Clorox everything when you’re done, which is a pain.  Either is just very inefficient in my experience.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Servsafe guidelines pushes hand washing over gloves and gloves do not replace hand washing ....gloves must be worn over cut covers through and hands must be washed prior to wearing gloves  ....anthother thing I learned at the class ( precivid) hand sanitizer stations were not allowed in the kitchen and only used when hand washing was not an immediate oprion IE for host / hostesses 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    lkapigian said:
    Toss your sponges, dirtiest thing in the kitchen 

Two minutes in the microwave make your sponges smell new, clean, and sanitized.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    My mother died when she was 102.5 years old. Never wore gloves, never used multiple tongs or other cooking tools and never washed her hands between handling. Not that I ever noticed anyway. Good enough for me!
    That is quite an achievement.  She saw a lot of change here in her time on this planet.  

But, geez man... how old are you?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I use metal tongs, I stick them through the grates into the flames to sanitize after touching raw meat.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I’m pretty sure I have a full box of gloves somewhere in the garage.  I think I do.
  • nolaegghead
    Food safety is great.  Mandatory when you're in the industry and serving people that can succumb to food poisoning because you don't know their history, immune system disorders, age, etc. 

I'm not going to judge anyone on their gusto or lack thereof in the arena of food safety.  I try to use common sense, but I fall more into the "rotten meat" category of forum denizen.

All the fear mongering that we're exposed to, for example, the animated germs in antiseptic soap commercials, has us eating a more antiseptic diet than our bodies need. 

Kid's aren't eating all the dirt they used to in the playground.  Everything is made shelf-stable and pasteurized and/or treated with chemicals to reduce pathogens.  All this is great except for when we do get exposed to some bad bacteria.  Our immune systems can become lazy and, when we do get sick, we get sicker than we would have eating a more natural diet.
    edited March 2021
    Food safety is great.  Mandatory when you're in the industry and serving people that can succumb to food poisoning because you don't know their history, immune system disorders, age, etc. 

I'm not going to judge anyone on their gusto or lack thereof in the arena of food safety.  I try to use common sense, but I fall more into the "rotten meat" category of forum denizen.

All the fear mongering that we're exposed to, for example, the animated germs in antiseptic soap commercials, has us eating a more antiseptic diet than our bodies need. 

Kid's aren't eating all the dirt they used to in the playground.  Everything is made shelf-stable and pasteurized and/or treated with chemicals to reduce pathogens.  All this is great except for when we do get exposed to some bad bacteria.  Our immune systems can become lazy and, when we do get sick, we get sicker than we would have eating a more natural diet.
    So true , we have bleached out the salubrious bacteria. , Salamis , ferments  etc of Europe and such are so good from being inoculated with that good bacteria in that is in their wooden mixing tubs//tables and yes , hands 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Don’t forget to clean the point on your thermometer after using for checking internal temps on your proteins 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Don’t forget to clean the point on your thermometer after using for checking internal temps on your proteins 
    I wash my thermapen in my instant hot water tap (180 degree water) and I regularly wash hands and tools while I cook. But I'm definitely not washing between pork butts when I'm dealing with 10+ butts at a time. I can't imagine that nightmare. And I can't swap gloves often outside because of the humidity. No way to get a new pair on!!  But all that meat ends up hitt 200+ so I'm really not worried about it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i dont follow these cross contamination rules except when going to the bathroom after dicing hot peppers. heres a good beginners guide for when to take food off the grill, get a good thermometer like a thermapen and take notes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Reluctantgourmet chart is handy but it doesn't cover vulnerable proteins like burger and sausages, guess they're not considered gourmet.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Reluctantgourmet chart is handy but it doesn't cover vulnerable proteins like burger and sausages, guess they're not considered gourmet.
    Also possible they're not considered reluctant.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734

i think its done on purpose, i dont take the temps of burgers anymore, a thermapen combined with the food nazi guidance temps just ruins a burger for me. that and im good with raw ground burger served at room temp anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    What doesn't kill you....

Makes you stronger....(sometimes after getting you sick as a dog)

I've gotten food poisoning three times where I wished I would simply die because I couldn't take it anymore.

But the vast majority it's just a few extra trips to the john a day later.

I couldn't eat mussels for a year following one of the bad bouts.  SWMBO didn't get sick at all....must have been one or two mollusks in the bag.
    Plenty of hand washing for me, cleaning surfaces whenever raw stuff has been near and washing utensils used for raw food in very hot water.

I'm super careful with sorting shellfish, had 2 bad episodes of poisoning in the past, none from when I've done the prep myself.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    Raw chicken and cross contaminating are about my only concerns. I'm pretty diligent about keeping things clean, especially when cooking at events or for people.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Got food poisoning one time. Thought I was dying. I spent three days on the bathroom floor and two more scared to sneeze. Felt like my guts were twisted in a knot and wrapped in hot coals. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Am I the only one washing my gloves by washing my hands with them on?  Tossing gloves every time you handle another raw protein is incredibly wasteful.  Easier to get gloves clean than hands, no nooks and crannies.
  • nolaegghead
    scdaf said:
    Am I the only one washing my gloves by washing my hands with them on?  Tossing gloves every time you handle another raw protein is incredibly wasteful.  Easier to get gloves clean than hands, no nooks and crannies.
    No, you aren't the only one.