Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Detroit style pizza

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    potato Detroit pizza with rosemary, sea salt and aioli
    I have no doubt that it’s great. But it would of never crossed my mind to try potatoes on pizza. 
    I’m with you there, Scottie.  But now that I’ve seen it, I think I need to try it...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I’m with you there, Scottie.  But now that I’ve seen it, I think I need to try it...
    I would definitely try it. I am just thinking out loud here, but I could see it being great if you added a little crumbled hamburger meat along with the potatoes. Meat and potato pizza, how could it be bad?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    My first attempt. A work in progress. Won’t be my last. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Looks great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Moleman
    Options
    Thanks. Not on the egg but in my oven. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Moleman said:

Awesome looking 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Not on the egg but in my oven. 
    That is irrelevant. Good is good no matter how it’s cooked. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Moleman said:
    What pan did you use? 

Status- Standing by.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    SGH said:
    Moleman said:
    What pan did you use? 
    The rectangle one.  ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    SGH said:
    Moleman said:
    What pan did you use? 
    The rectangle one.  ;)
    I’m hoping he will be a tad more specific. Example: blue steel, cast iron, aluminum, etc, etc. 

Status- Standing by.

• Moleman
    Options
    Lloyds off of Amazon, $38 and change.  Appreciate the kind words. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Enjoying some Pizza Hut Detroit style now. 

Status- Standing by.

• bradleya123
    Options
    Damn, I grew up in Detroit and never ever heard of Detroit Style Pizza, I even worked in a Mom & Pop takeout Pizzeria when I was a teenager and never heard of Detroit Style Pizza.  Must be something new to keep up with Chicago, (i.e. keeping up with the Joneses...)
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Damn, I grew up in Detroit and never ever heard of Detroit Style Pizza, I even worked in a Mom & Pop takeout Pizzeria when I was a teenager and never heard of Detroit Style Pizza.  Must be something new to keep up with Chicago, (i.e. keeping up with the Joneses...)
    Buddy's started the style in 1946. Been around for a while.

https://www.buddyspizza.com/history-of-detroit-style-pizza

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    Damn, I grew up in Detroit and never ever heard of Detroit Style Pizza
    I had never heard of it it either until recently. In my defense I grew up in south Mississippi, not Detroit. With that said, I wish I would of heard of it years ago. It is far and away my favorite style of pizza. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Has anyone tried these pans? They say these are blue steel like the original pans. If anyone has tried them how do they compare to the aluminum pans? 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Griffin
    My apologies for hijacking my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options

Been meaning to try for a long time and this post pushed it to reality.  Thank you.  A hit with the Mrs. and three kids.  Sausage and pepperoni for one and just cheese on number two.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • SGH
    Options
    chard said:

Those look spectacular 👍

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Griffin said:

Round two. Wife insisted I make it again since she was out of town the first time. This time with home made Italian sausage
    Looks like another winner to me 👍

Status- Standing by.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Griffin said:

Round two. Wife insisted I make it again since she was out of town the first time. This time with home made Italian sausage
    That is a GOOD lookin' pie!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Ok. I broke down and bought a pan. Will try my first this weekend. The biggest drawback is if I do like this style pie, I will need to buy another couple of pans...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SGH
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    Ok. I broke down and bought a pan. Will try my first this weekend. 
    Awesome 👍

The biggest drawback is if I do like this style pie, I will need to buy another couple of pans...
    I don’t see the problem 
     ;) 

Status- Standing by.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    It’s like y’all can read my mind! On the menu for tomorrow night! Great looking pizzas all around.
    LBGE
    AL
  • SGH
    Options
    It’s like y’all can read my mind! 
    Some of us can 
     ;) 

On the menu for tomorrow night!
    Standing by for the finale. 

Great looking pizzas all around.
    Agree. 

Status- Standing by.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Glad to see that this post inspired some people to try Detroit pizza. It's different, but it sure is tasty. Think for our next pizza we are going to go back to something a little more traditional just for a change. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Glad to see that this post inspired some people to try Detroit pizza. It's different, but it sure is tasty. Think for our next pizza we are going to go back to something a little more traditional just for a change. 
    Detroit style has become my new favorite 👍

Status- Standing by.