Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you knew then what you know now....

Would you still have purchased a big green egg? I know that sounds like a crazy question and everything but hear me out. I purchased my egg two years ago now. Love it. Use it 2-3 times a week at least. I’ve also had to make a few purchases, accessories, gasket, etc that seem to be included in with some of the competing brands. I’ve also come to find out that while the egg and a kamado style cooker can do just about everything, it is limited in some areas, say with pizza cooks etc. 

Now I know some of us have multiple grills, even multiple big green eggs on various sizes, but my significant other only gives me the green light to spend $1,000+ on a grill every so often. For those of you in the same boat, would you do it again, knowing what you know now? Would you even buy a kamado at all, or would you buy a different style of grill? If you would buy a kamado again, would it be the same brand or a different brand and why? 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    with the current pricing and what i know now, i would probably build something. my most expensive egg was 550 for a new large and it included delivery from tennessee to massachusetts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I would buy it just because of the good history I've had with people I've met here.  Obviously that's a two-way street, but overwhelmingly, yes. 

The egg is a lousy grill, not the best for pizza (and you burn 10 bucks in lump even if you make one pizza), pretty decent smoker, but not the best by any stretch.

But if I could go back in time, I'd def kill baby Hitler and take care of a couple other future problems as well.  Hindsight is 20/20 as long as you aren't following revisionist history.
    IF anyone is in the market for a versatile, multi-purpose cooking vessel and looking to invest only once, then a BGE is the best purchase. I wish I would have made the plunge years earlier.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• My only regret is not buying one 20 years ago.  It was only about two months after I bought a large that I got a small.  Talk about a fantastic purchase.  That little guy is a blast to use.  

I have actually been dragging me feet about adding XL because I want something for larger cooks.  Seems like I should add a nice stick burner or different smoker.  I research and research, but keep coming back to an XL.  Hard to imagine that I would enjoy something else more.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    ColtsFan said:
    IF anyone is in the market for a versatile, multi-purpose cooking vessel and looking to invest only once, then a BGE is the best purchase. I wish I would have made the plunge years earlier.
    I agree.  I suppose it also depends on what you like to cook and how much of a wonk you are about professional level equipment.  Many people here have wood pizza ovens, stick burners, wok banjos, searing broilers, griddles, etc.  Not because you can't do that stuff on an egg, but because they're wonks.

Short answer- yes.  I enjoy the versatility- not the "best" for several cook types but definitely good enough for many.  Regarding other brands of kamados, I don't know enough to comment but I do know there aren't any kamado forums out there as entertaining and full of such a broad spectrum of information, cooking and way beyond as this one.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I’d venture to say I’d buy a KJ Big Joe over the BGE just because of all of the accessories it comes with out of the box.

I have BIL’s KJ Classic at my house while he apartment lives till he buys next house. Used both, both take “learning” the vent systems, but his came with so much more that I had to purchase separately. 

id still buy a Kamado style cooker, just not necessarily BGE
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    Oh hell yes!!!  Love my Large!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I would do it again without hesitating, but I won’t own a second one or ever collect them.
  • I have a mini (not max) small and a large. I would absolutely buy this combo again. Each size egg is incredibly useful. Last night I brought the large up to 600 and baked a killer pizza. I wouldn’t want anything other than a Kamado grill. If I was in the market again I might give serious consideration to getting a Primo. But I really have no regrets and love the BGE, especially the mini. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Absolutely, have had mine since 2006 love it. Getting ready to buy one for my daughter and SIL.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I agree with Carey @nolaegghead.The people I have met on this forum are the best!! I am not a chef by any stretch of the imagination but I get a lot of enjoyment from my egg.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    So I am kind of in the camp with @ColbyLang on this. That new KJ is sweet. Price tag is probably a wash compared to buying a large BGE and tricking it I guess, but the slo roller system is intriguing. 

That being said, what would stop someone from buying, say a KJ and still posting on here but not telling anyone that’s what they have? 🤔
  • I wouldn't have chose Mike...Sorry, wrong thread
    I have a MiniMax on my golf cart
    Florida

• I just bought a 2nd hand Large Big Green Egg. So that makes me a yes. I do have an Akorn Jr. and really like it as well. 
     Buying the extras that come with other models is just retail therapy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    It's an interesting question.  For sure I'd have a Kamado - they're just so versatile as everyone has already pointed out.  And I use my BGE all the time.

But I think I would have explored all of the other options out there, and have been a much more informed consumer.  Good chance I would have still landed with a BGE, but I think some of the KJ and Primo options are also interesting.    
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    DainW said:
    So I am kind of in the camp with @ColbyLang on this. That new KJ is sweet. Price tag is probably a wash compared to buying a large BGE and tricking it I guess, but the slo roller system is intriguing. 

That being said, what would stop someone from buying, say a KJ and still posting on here but not telling anyone that’s what they have? 🤔

use a green photo filter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    A good number of folks here have KJs.  I do.
    edited March 2021
    Probably, but my wifes cousin owns a grill fabrication company that makes some pretty sweet grills. Might have been tempted to get the family discount on one of his stainless models

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I have zero regret about buying the Big Green Egg. I also didn't have much other options at the time when purchasing my first BGE. I'm glad I didn't have any other options at the time as I've meet all kinds of awesome people through the forums over the years. I'd probably own a red one if I were starting out today with the accessories that come with it. Plus BGE has ticked me off in the last couple years copying other people's accessories and calling it their own. Plus all the lame names they come up with their products is pretty tacky. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    WeberWho said:
    I have zero regret about buying the Big Green Egg. I also didn't have much other options at the time when purchasing my first BGE. I'm glad I didn't have any other options at the time as I've meet all kinds of awesome people through the forums over the years. I'd probably own a red one if I were starting out today with the accessories that come with it. Plus BGE has ticked me off in the last couple years copying other people's accessories and calling it their own. Plus all the lame names they come up with their products is pretty tacky. 
    My only explanation for the accessory names is they hired a marketing guy from Ikea.

Definitely would do it again. I started with a large and then added a small and now recently bought a XL. I have several other grills and cookers that I enjoy using when time permits but the eggs will always come through when I need to get dinner on the table and yard work done or errands ran at the same time. My dealer and big green egg customer service experiences have been outstanding. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    No regerts.  As well stated above, the BGE may not be the best at anything, but is a super versatile cooker - grill/smoker/pizza oven/wok station/etc. 

Might have opted for a small instead of a mini max, but it was a surprise gift from my better half and gets the most use of all my eggs.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • nolaegghead

It is the Jack of all trades, master of none. I'd still buy a Kamado, but it might be a red one since they seem to come with more accessories. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Absolutely.  No regrets.  I have a Large and a Small.  It has been a great investment. (I do regret some of the accessories I have purchased, but that is a different thread)
  • DainW said:

I do it all the time! 😎
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    I would have jumped straight to a Kamado Kamodo.

Honestly, yes I would have.  At the time there were no other legitimate options.  The Egg cooks amazing and I enjoy the community.  The only thing making me hesitate if I were to buy today would be dealer service.  I was spoiled in my old town with a phenomenal dealer.  He was close, stocked everything, and he handed you warranty parts from his stock.  In my new town half the dealers do not do "warranty" and most the sales people know nothing about the warranty.  KJ shipping direct to you is a huge plus.  The one dealer I found finally said they would do warranty, but I needed to pay shipping.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Yes.  No regrets here.   I haven’t been limited to anything on it, including pizza.

What makes for me is my BGE dealer, nice to go in and talk to people who care.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)