Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:
    Finally tried birria tacos.  Instead of searing the beef ribs and oxtails in a frypan, I seared them on the Egg with some post-oak (didn't cook them thru).  Made up a sauce with toasted red New Mexican, poblano, and de Arbol chiles, tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, salt, sauteed onions and garlic.  Poured over the beef in my crockpot, added a cinnamon stick and bay leaves, and let it cook on Low for 20 hours.  Dayam the house smelled good this morning.

I don't have a griddle, cooking for one, but it would've been handy to cook the tortillas, was just able to fit three into my large skillet:

Wish I'd let them crisp up just a bit more, but still the best tacos I've ever made.

Oh yes!  This is short list.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Botch said:
    Finally tried birria tacos.  Instead of searing the beef ribs and oxtails in a frypan, I seared them on the Egg with some post-oak (didn't cook them thru).  Made up a sauce with toasted red New Mexican, poblano, and de Arbol chiles, tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, salt, sauteed onions and garlic.  Poured over the beef in my crockpot, added a cinnamon stick and bay leaves, and let it cook on Low for 20 hours.  Dayam the house smelled good this morning.

I don't have a griddle, cooking for one, but it would've been handy to cook the tortillas, was just able to fit three into my large skillet:

Wish I'd let them crisp up just a bit more, but still the best tacos I've ever made.

You don't have a griddle plate for that fancy new stove of yours??
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EzraBrooks
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I'm about as close as I'll ever get to reverse engineering Pizza Hut's pan pizza circa '80s/'90s. The taste - and most importantly - texture, is spot on.  Why though? Well, Pizza Hut was my first love as a child and I get an occasional craving for that greasy fried dough that's somehow both crunchy and soft at the same time. Still makes me wanna vomit after over-eating. 
    I can't even count the number of books I read as a kid when I didn't really want to just so I'd win the free pizza and force my mom and dad to take me to pizza hut.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Botch said:

Wow, sounds wonderful and looks even better.  Nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:

Looks and sounds delicious! I'm digging the sauce. 

And, just leaving this here...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Last night’s pork tenderloin, sautéed shrooms, and broccoli slaw.

Tonight is going to be a quick red lentil soup.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Botch Nice tacos. We made them this week as well. They are pretty tasty. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    solid low-carb chef-ing there shotgun al 3
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Clam Chowda w/canned clams and bottled clam juice. Don't judge me.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited February 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Clam Chowda w/canned clams and bottled clam juice. Don't judge me.
    I do the same with those industrial sized cans from RD.  Make a huge batch, give it to friends, etc.  It's always "The best I've ever had!".  Made hundreds of gallons of the stuff when I was a "chef" back in school.

Options
    SciAggie said:
    Made my first (of many) batch of leftovers, and still couldn't get the tortillas to transmogrify into "shells" the way I wanted (I knew they'd be "greasy" to pick up).  Tomorrow it'll be corn tortilla "stacked enchiladas", eaten with a fork (and a small amount of beef/juice set aside for  some epic scrambled eggs tomorrow morning); I've frozen the rest for later.    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    PS, maybe it's just me, but tomato based clam chowder is sacrilege.

Ah, manhattan style.  Also not a fan.
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited February 2021
    Options
    buzd504 said:

One vote here for Manhattan style, you commies.  People who like Boston-style chowder probably ate library paste in gradeschool.  

:tongue:  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I'm assuming you water your garden with that beverage and a real man's drink is just out of the camera shot </troll_comment >

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Botch said:
    SciAggie said:
    Made my first (of many) batch of leftovers, and still couldn't get the tortillas to transmogrify into "shells" the way I wanted (I knew they'd be "greasy" to pick up).  Tomorrow it'll be corn tortilla "stacked enchiladas", eaten with a fork (and a small amount of beef/juice set aside for  some epic scrambled eggs tomorrow morning); I've frozen the rest for later.    

What texture you going for with the taco shells? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    @kl8ton I’ll take that and move on.  ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Botch said:
    buzd504 said:

One vote here for Manhattan style, you commies. 
    I think you have this backwards, Botch.  The commies are the guys who actually like the red stuff in their chowdah, not the other way around...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    im ok with a little tomatoes in my chowder, the broth should be clear though. my versions a little different though. no way with the manhatten, tastes like campbells alphabet soup

Image result for clam  fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @Botch -now you have me thinking I need another of those cast iron pans to make that breakfast outside. Thanks for the idea. STCG is now in my bookmarks =)

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

STCG is now in my bookmarks =)
    I forgot the Disclaimer; he's NSFW/NSFH (he is a hoot, though).  

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My first 48 hr chuck roast- getting ready for the sear. 

Greensboro, NC