Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BlueStar

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    SonVolt said:
    PigBeanUs said:

We ducted ours in thru the floor joists (not the cabinet like this guy) to a spot under the stove, and 90° elbow dumps air right under the range

@PigBeanUs

Do you have a pic you could share? Is it ducted in directly under the stove? Or just near it, flush-mounted on the floor similar to a normal AC vent. 
    Here’s Rich Trethewy (This Old House) demo-ing a make up air system. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImdbQFgf-X8

NOTE: their hood is much larger, and they have cash, so they installed a make up air system that isn’t merely passive (just a duct with a damper), but is preconditioned (filtered and heated) and with an intake fan

Ignore for a moment the preconditioned portion of this. Just notice where they put the opening. 

If you DON’T precondition (expensive), in this case the cold (or hot and humid) outside air would travel across your room. 

So the closer that hole can be to the hood, the better. 

You could even do it across from the hood with a register in the ceiling. 

Air would come in and travel across the ceiling and up the hood

We went with the “under the range”
    strategy. So air comes in and up the back of the range (and maybe toe kick in front), and up and out

good luck
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    caliking said:

This may be a dumb question, but with open burners does crud fall onto shelves or cabinets below the cooktop?
     The way I understand it there is a large cookie sheet under the burners that catches all the crap and can be slid out the front for cleaning. Maybe @Thatgrimguy or someone with experience can chime in.

On the BlueStars at least, that's the difference between their "range" and their "cooktop"; the range has a drawer that can be slid out the front, for cleaning.  I have the less-expensive cooktop, the only way to clean off the bottom plate is with a vacuum nozzle after removing the grates and baffles.  But, when I did my deep-clean that bottom plate had nothing on it.
    I just need to make sure I never accidentally knock over a pot of chili on the cooktop.   :o 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Planning a full kitchen remodel now . . WOW this thread blew my mind :o . . I got lots to learn but grateful for the detail in this thread.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    The way I understand it there is a large cookie sheet under the burners that catches all the crap and can be slid out the front for cleaning. Maybe @Thatgrimguy or someone with experience can chime in.
    There is. It is in two pieces on a 30" range and they are easily lined with aluminum foil to make cleanup even easier. That drawer can also serve as a heat shield when broiling, just pull it out a ways and it keeps knobs cooler.

Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2021
    How well does the broiler on the Bluestar work for items like steak where you want fast browning without overcooking the internals? Many home broilers are sluggish / underpowered. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    SonVolt said:
    How well does the broiler on the Bluestar work for items like steak where you want fast browning without overcooking the internals? Home home broilers are sluggish / underpowered. 

with the stupid electric broiler i have the trick is to fool the internal thermostats by leaving the door slightly open while broiling. not sure how that works with gas
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    edited January 2021
    My GE's gas broiler works pretty well (though not as well as those ceramic broilers) but it also turns itself off when it gets too hot.  Drives me nuts b/c then it's just baking at high temp. Propping the door open works ok but then you gotta deal with the smoke/grease. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Trick with broilers is the same as cooking steaks....move the food closer to the flame.  Unfortunately most home oven broilers (gas) are V-shaped so it's less even, but trust me, works.
    Botch said:
    caliking said:

This may be a dumb question, but with open burners does crud fall onto shelves or cabinets below the cooktop?

On the BlueStars at least, that's the difference between their "range" and their "cooktop"; the range has a drawer that can be slid out the front, for cleaning.  I have the less-expensive cooktop, the only way to clean off the bottom plate is with a vacuum nozzle after removing the grates and baffles.  But, when I did my deep-clean that bottom plate had nothing on it.
    I just need to make sure I never accidentally knock over a pot of chili on the cooktop.   :o 
    If I could count the times oatmeal spills over on the stove...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    ...or milk sauces and pasta water 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Has anyone considered induction cooktops instead of gas? There are many power ratings and they dont need make up air and they dont throw off heat
    into the room like a open flame burner will. Blasphemy, since we make commercial gas cooking equipment but just a thought. Still need a hood for cooking odors
  • nolaegghead
    Tspud1 said:
    Has anyone considered induction cooktops instead of gas? There are many power ratings and they dont need make up air and they dont throw off heat
    into the room like a open flame burner will. Blasphemy, since we make commercial gas cooking equipment but just a thought. Still need a hood for cooking odors
    They are great.  I have a stand alone.  Would rather have gas because maybe half my pots won't work and you can't roast peppers and light cigars.

I plan on firing up, for the first time, the broiler on our new range tonight.  I'm too lazy to fire up the egg.  Actually just turned it on prior to the cook to burn off the factory smell, which, based on the smell in the house, was a good idea.

We'll see how it does with some wings.
    edited January 2021
    Tspud1 said:

They're like having sex with a condom. They get the job done, but they're not near as fun.

But seriously though,  I'm not sure if they have "mechanical only" induction like they do gas, but a friend of mine just had their circuit board go out and Viking quoted $3,200 to send a replacement. The repairman said had it been a regular Gas range he could have fixed it for a typical $75 service charge. Something about computers and gas ranges don't sound like a good idea to me. 
  • SonVolt said:
    How well does the broiler on the Bluestar work for items like steak where you want fast browning without overcooking the internals? Many home broilers are sluggish / underpowered. 
      Works amazing ! 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Fairly sure the “pro” gas broilers now are all “infrared” 

much better than the gas tube broliers. 

It seemed small to me when we first got it, but it gets pretty effing hot very quickly. 

• AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    SonVolt said:
     Something about computers and gas ranges don't sound like a good idea to me. 
    This was the 2nd selling point on our BlueStar, no electronics to shield from the heat. 

And yes the broiler is amazing, just keep an eye on it as it can quickly take anything under it from crispy, brown and delicious to charred, black and bitter.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    SonVolt said:
    They're like having sex with a condom. They get the job done, but they're not near as fun. 
    Buy ribbed condoms, and put them on inside-out.  Problem Solved.   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    Broiler worked fine.
    Broiler worked fine.

Peas?  Seriously?
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Cold pea sour cream and ham salad. Kicks ass you anti-anglophile person, you.
    Cold pea sour cream and ham salad. Kicks ass you anti-anglophile person, you.
    I don't care how you're hiding them.  If you're not splitting them, I'm not eating them.

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    "Scientists might be able to split an atom but only a donkey will split a pea"

-- Gordon Ramsey (or maybe I just made that up)
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    SonVolt said:
    Tspud1 said:

But seriously though,  I'm not sure if they have "mechanical only" induction like they do gas, but a friend of mine just had their circuit board go out and Viking quoted $3,200 to send a replacement. The repairman said had it been a regular Gas range he could have fixed it for a typical $75 service charge. Something about computers and gas ranges don't sound like a good idea to me. 
    Repairs are expensive, simple electronic ignition on my brothers Wolf top burner was way high. I tinkered with adding a induction cook top to a table
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    C'mon, you guys, this isn't fair. I want to replace my old Jenn-Air and now this thread pops up.
    I can give a comment about vent fans. I've got a 600 cfm one (that's the 4th step, so it's plenty adjustable) and sometimes wish I'd gotten the 900 cfm one. However, 600 is adequate. The extra cost would have been tiny since this model has an external roof-mounted fan.
    Do whatever you can to get a roof-mounted fan with an external exhaust. Well worth it.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Corv said:
    C'mon, you guys, this isn't fair. I want to replace my old Jenn-Air and now this thread pops up.
    I can give a comment about vent fans. I've got a 600 cfm one (that's the 4th step, so it's plenty adjustable) and sometimes wish I'd gotten the 900 cfm one. However, 600 is adequate. The extra cost would have been tiny since this model has an external roof-mounted fan.
    Do whatever you can to get a roof-mounted fan with an external exhaust. Well worth it.
    I'm looking to replace a Jenn-Air cookto as well. Hang out here long enough, and you'll be lucky if these miscreants only cost you a stove. 

What did you end up with for the range hood/exhaust?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    For those of you who are considering new cooktops and ovens, do yourself a favor and checkout gaggenau.com. Handmade, German appliances which will not disappoint. The EB333 oven is a dream.  
    IL 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    edited January 2021
    Caliking, I got a Broan E662E30WH hood with the 331H fan in '08. With two exceptions, it's been trouble-free. The big exception was that a capacitor on the motor died well after warranty. A local whiz appliance repairman diagnosed and fixed it.
    The small exception was that somehow the touch-panel got out of alignment with something under it and needed to be adjusted. Found that out after I'd ordered replacement electronics, which fortunately Broan took back.
    The hood is a conventional over-the-stove one that looks like many of the hoods at a big box store. It's white since I don't care for stainless. These days white is rare.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Get all the fan. I have a 1100cfm Wolf fan with a custom built hood and I love it!!!  I don't have the air make-up and no one recommended it when I installed my fan. Got permits and all.... 

I did replace my wood burning fireplace with a gas unit (that can be used without a vent) and I do keep the flu open year round and I guess that's probably acting as a make up though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum