Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Options
Oklahoma Onion Burgers & Sweet Potato Fries, pretty good.
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Looks GOOD! Only recently heard of Oklahoma Onion Burgers, but it seems I've been making them (sorta) for some time. Mine are similar except I caramelize the onions. Also, I add a "special sauce" (about 3:1 mayo:dijon plus some chopped chives). Swiss cheese is my first choice, but American also works. My favorite burger!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I used 6 oz balls and next time I will try 4 oz, I dressed them with mustard and grillo dill pickles, they were solid.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Looks good!  I hate how the pictures get out of order on this site.

Tell me your steps, I keep trying to solve the puzzle.

Smash burger, onion on top, then flip, then cheese?  Just trying to figure it out.
    Clinton, Iowa
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Ever since I saw THIS, the Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger has become my new favorite burger.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Langner91
    Options
    500 said:
    Ever since I saw THIS, the Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger has become my new favorite burger.  
    Thanks for that!  Where has this been all of my 52 years?  I have been to Oklahoma a dozen times and I don't think I have ever eaten a burger there!  I know what is going on the egg very soon!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    This looks outstanding.  I was born and bred in Oklahoma and I’ve never heard this called an “Oklahoma Onion Burger,” until recently,  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    Looks delicious
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    500 said:
    @500 I was going to post the same video. I followed his technique and they were excellent. 

I think a key is to slice the onions thinly as he illustrates. I used one of those spiralizer gizmos. 

What is interesting about this burger is the meat is seared on one side, and the onions are crispy on one side. In the middle, there is a layer of steamed meat and onions. It is a hybrid of Krystal (or White Castle) and Smash burger. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    So, if I cook these in San Antonio, does that make them Texas Onion Burgers?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Here in Jersey we just call the White Mana Burgers!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9RRsUbDV0U&ab_channel=robbgill
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Grillmagic
    Great looking burgers brother Magic 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    This looks outstanding.  I was born and bred in Oklahoma and I’ve never heard this called an “Oklahoma Onion Burger,” until recently,  
    Yep. Here they’re just called onion burgers 😉
  • Langner91
    Options
    "I could eat 18 or 75 or those!"  Amen, Brother!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, if I cook these in San Antonio, does that make them Texas Onion Burgers?
    Yes.....but in the style of Oklahoma. You must disclose that to all who sit at the dinner table.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Langner91
    Options
    OK, I picked up a pound of burger tonight, freshest I could find.  I split it into four ounce balls and sliced an onion on the mandolin.  I am still crying.

I flipped the GrillGrates over.  @pgprescott was right, the back side makes for a great smash burger.

Look at this Char!

American Cheese

And bun on two.  Two will be eaten as leftovers.

OMG, they were everything I imagined!

A glass of Crown Royal to go with.  What a great burger! Thanks for looking!
    Clinton, Iowa