Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Bulgogi Skewers

This was a riff off a cook I did a while ago.  This time I just used a Bulgogi marinade from Maangchi:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi

And instead of short ribs, I used beef tenderloin.  Seems excessive to do this with tenderloin but damn is it good.

For the marinade, I put everything into the cuisinart and blended it all up.  Just seemed easier and it helped get the marinade uniformly distributed.  These were in the bag with the marinade for 24 hrs, which with the tenderloin is probably too long.  The meat was clearly starting to break down too much.  I’ll have to try this again with short rib meat.  Anyway, I put them on skewers with some red peppers:

And into the Roccbox they went.  They only need about five minutes at 900 degrees to get some char:

I bet you could do these just as well on the Egg - maybe direct and close to the coals.  I added some green onions, cilantro, and toasted sesame seeds:

Plated with some brown rice, lettuce wraps, and Bo Ssam sauce.  Not the best plating job but eff it I was hangry by the time I sat down.  

This beef is delicious.  So tender and flavorful.  Thanks for looking!
"A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

The other ahole

Living large in the 919

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 14,998
    Nicely done!!

Reminds me that it’s been too long since I made bulgogi. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 5,651
    Those look great John

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bubbajackbubbajack Posts: 725
    Never had it, but I am pretty sure I would kill that plate! Very nice cook. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,L,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 16,208
    Pretty impressive John, as always.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,210
    I could definitely eat a few of those. 

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 35,765
    Good work, brother 

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,504
    Roccbox eh?  I still haven’t convinced myself to try something else than pizza.  This looks great!

Roccbox eh?  I still haven’t convinced myself to try something else than pizza.  This looks great!
    Gozney has a ton of recipes on their webpage.  Lots worth checking out.  
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
  • dbCooperdbCooper Posts: 734
    Looks delicious.  Nice.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 14,746
    I would knock some of that back in a heartbeat.
    Johns Creek GA with a Large & a 17" Blackstone........Medium & MiniMax in storage

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Beautiful. “Why is it so expensive?”  “Because it’s worth it!”
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 4,504
    Dang fine looking cook!
    Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009

Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'

Bob Hope:

When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

• LegumeLegume Posts: 11,371
    I keep coming back to this every time it’s bumped.  I’ve always used bottled marinade, I’ll give this a go though. 
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,210
    Hey John, I’m sorry to say but because of all the disagree flags in this thread I’m gonna have to reverse my decision to say that I’d eat a few of those.  Evidently I didn’t know what I was thinking.  

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CPARKTX2CPARKTX2 Posts: 141
    Nice! Good eats
    So those are made from Bull Gogies?  Creamy centers?

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 19,348
    Hey John, I’m sorry to say but because of all the disagree flags in this thread I’m gonna have to reverse my decision to say that I’d eat a few of those.  Evidently I didn’t know what I was thinking.  
    Yeah someone is just messing around obviously.   I don’t know what that’s about.

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
    Legume said:
    I keep coming back to this every time it’s bumped.  I’ve always used bottled marinade, I’ll give this a go though. 
    Some of the bottled marinades are legit pretty good.  Personally I just like making stuff from scratch.

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
    Legume said:
    Some of the bottled marinades are legit pretty good.  Personally I just like making stuff from scratch.

I think Travis would say you're "virtue signaling".

Legume said:

I think Travis would say you're "virtue signaling".
    I don't know about that.  Maybe... "chef signaling" ?

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
    Chef Boyardee Bandana LA Art Print by ripmantgm  Redbubble