Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you when camping?

Options
going camping tomorrow.and gonna start going more often.what do yall cook?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Everything tastes better when you are camping.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Whatever we manage to kill while out there, typically.  Sometimes it’s just tree rats and fancy wine.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @alaskanassasin its so crazy that it does.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2020
    Options
    We usually will cook the typical breakfast foods (eggs,bacon,hash browns). For dinner we like making fajitas, burgers, or some kind of soup in the cast iron Dutch oven using the camp fire and a tripod. We will also at least one night make a cobbler using the same cooking method. Lunches are usually not fancy as we like to go hiking or canoeing.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What kind of camping? Backpacking? Bikepacking? Car camping? Motorhome? All very different.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Brought the pizza oven last time w/some premade frozen dough balls, worked great, minimal clean up.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    texaswig said:
    what do yall cook?
    This might not be a option for you, but my absolute favorite thing to cook when camping on the river is the fish we catch. Red bellies, bluegills, goggle-eyes and catfish deep fried or pan fried in Lodge cast iron. It just doesn’t get any better than that my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @Carolina Q car tent camping. @Legume I plan on taking the pizza oven sometime and even the mini max. just trying to start small and get organized first.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Have burgers one night making extra patties.  The next night have spaghetti and crumble the patties for meat in the sauce.

french toast is an easy breakfast.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I usually take the KJ Jr. Between that, a cast iron skillet/pot and the campfire nothing is off limits 
    breakfast is usually an egg scramble, lunch cold cut sammies. Hard to beat a pot of soup or beans sitting on the grate for several hours over a fire. Of course you gotta have s’mores and hotdogs available 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• johnmitchell
    Options

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    SGH said:
    texaswig said:
    what do yall cook?
    This might not be a option for you, but my absolute favorite thing to cook when camping on the river is the fish we catch. Red bellies, bluegills, goggle-eyes and catfish deep fried or pan fried in Lodge cast iron. It just doesn’t get any better than that my friend.  
    That's funny.  I had you pegged as more of an anus man when out in the woods.  
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2020
    Options

I do rotisserie.  I also use a swinging grate under a tripod with hanging chains.  Both fold up nice.  The swinging tripod grate works well.  You can raise and lower it.  Heat coffee etc.  Acts like a type of rotisserie, swing it and let it go.  Moving doesn't burn
    Columbus, Ohio
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    We do a large family trip on the river every year. There is always something cooking. I’ll just list everything I can remember. Bacon and eggs, stewed apples, breakfast burritos, shrimp scampi, taco soup, ribs, steaks, pork chops, beer brats, hot dogs, marinated lamp chops, wings, fried fish, squirrel. Thats all i can think of for now. 

Oh yeah, lots of booze. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JustBuggin
    Options
     I bring my small wsm and smoke pork butts. Could easily do the same with a mini max though. I prep them before leaving then throw them on the first day. Generally works good for meeting the neighbors too. Otherwise burgers and simple stuff. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    We always have hot dogs and sausages, the kids love making those over the fire. I also usually do some breakfast burritos. We had shrimp tacos the last time. Pretty much anything you want to have. To me, the key is to do as much of the prep work at home. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    jdMyers said:

You're nothing but a Schwenker!

• AprèsSki
    Options
    To me, the key is to do as much of the prep work at home

Can't emphasis this enough. Ziplock bags are your friends and if you plan days ahead you can freeze meals so they keep the tasty beverages cool while waiting to be eaten. 

If camping with others divide up meals, embrace your inner competitor and try to outdo your friends. Just have a plan so burritos are only served once a day/trip.

Another pre-trip consideration is coffee, you must have coffee in the morning. French presses are probably the easiest for 2-3 cups, Aeropress tastes the best but it is only single serve. 

Lastly, someone has to be on cleanup duty to keep camp critter free after the bourbon kicks in.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited December 2020
    Options
    We always think about timing too...we usually do nothing serious our first night out, just because we don’t want to set up camp, then cook, and then clean up.  Not a huge issue if you’re getting to your site in the morning, but if you’re leaving after the kids get out of school and getting to your site at 5, it does.  Most of the time our is a flank steak that I grilled and sliced before we left, with a premade bagged salad.  

Same premise for the morning you’re leaving too, a lot of time it’ll be granola bars, or a planned stop at Waffle House; I just hate cooking a big breakfast, cleaning up, and then breaking camp and packing the car.

Anything en papillote works great for dinners, you can prep those at home too.  Just think about the timing of protein and veg, and par cook some items if needed.  
    Stuff out of your freezer is fantastic too; a big Tupperware of chili out of the freezer works as ice in the cooler for a few nights, and then an easy dinner.  
    One skillet meals are also great.  Meat (again, pre sliced at home) + frozen hash browns + frozen veg is easy and will fill a crowd.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I always make a batch of chili before we leave to have on hand for chili dogs, burgers, or just a nice hot cup of chili. Freeze it in portions and put the frozen ziplocks of chili in the ice chest. Roasting dogs over a fire in our DIY washing machine drum fire pit then topping them with chili is hard to beat for camp food. 

We also bring breakfast burrito fixings and make those for breakfast. 

This is when car/trailer camping of course. 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    A nice set of irons, grate, cast iron skill and Dutch oven for the fire was my kitchen when tent or car camping. If I was still, I would get a small  Blackstone griddle.

This old man prefers not to cook on his knees anymore, or sleep on the ground. Camp cooking now has morphed into a large egg, webber kettle rotisserie and a fire disc. I just cook whatever someone brings over or once in a while what I'm hankering.

Adding a 36 inch Blackstone to the kitchen this year full time. Woot!
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Campfire cinnamon rolls on a stick 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Whatever we manage to kill while out there, typically.  Sometimes it’s just tree rats and fancy wine.

Hahaha  The thought of @JohnInCarolina w a gun is money!!!Dear John it was something you said  Boston Herald
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    There are some amazing ideas out here.  It;s not as fun, but you can pre-make some BBQ, vacuum seal it, and warm it up in some hot/boiling water or SV while out there if you have electricity
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:

Hahaha  The thought of @JohnInCarolina w a gun is money!!!Dear John it was something you said  Boston Herald
    It's about as entertaining as the idea of you attending West Point, I suppose.

I did learn to shoot pretty young.  I think I was like 7 or 8.  Nothing too serious.  A 30-06 a few times.  

I never hunted with a gun, as bowhunting was much more the thing where I was in NH.  Got to the point where I could knock a tree rat off a branch from 30 yards out or so.  We didn't eat them though - just target practice.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Walking Tacos
    Campfire Nachos in a Dutch oven 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    texaswig said:
    what do yall cook?
    That's funny.  I had you pegged as more of an anus man when out in the woods.  

"pegged"?