Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best baked potatoes EVER. TRY FOR THE HOLIDAYS

https://www.thekitchn.com/jacket-potato-22943799?amp=1

Have used this for the past two months and outstanding.  

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Will be doing Costco’s Prime Strips and the above for Christmas dinner. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Happy Holidays @Mickey !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Thanks! I'll try it today.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • That’s interesting because I’m pretty sure my mother has been cooking potatoes that way for as long as I can remember.  She was raised in an Irish Catholic family so probably some connection there.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I always did with poking the holes. I'm definitely going to try this method now. Thanks for the tip.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i'll give it a whirl.  i love a baked potato.
    lately i've been giving them a good coat of oil, a heavy sprinkling of salt, and an hour in the air fryer.  no holes poked.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
     Mickey said:

Really...you been doing this for the past couple months and just now passing it along!
    You’re picking up bad habits in Florida.
    That’s very interesting and will certainly try it next time.
    Thanks Mickey
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Just used this method for lunch today. Really crunchy skin and creamy inside. Will definitely be doing this again. Will try doing this on the egg. Thanks for posting this Mickey.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • This is what makes this place great. Thanks for the share @Mickey
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Tried tonight and this is great; thank you for sharing.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    What kind of potato 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2020
    I like any type of russet for this kind of baking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russet_potato
    Mickey said:

A thread dear to my heart.  Always loved a baked spud, always will.  
    From the recipe I think only line #2 matters,  hot oven and long cook.  I would need persuasion about that fancy-dan hoity-toity cross cutting complication.
    I am aware that oiling and salting proponents exist.  I am unconvinced. 

Since we're on the subject, the single biggest step change in my spud-life was transitioning from a length ways single splice to a 'quarter and squeeze' pre-dressing potato activation.     It drew much suspicion from my family at the time, but once I started down that a road I couldn't go back. 
    As with most things in life I rely upon the advice of Don Henley about never going back.

In the interests of full disclosure I am a skin last eater as opposed to during because that gives a second pass of the grated cheddar.    I have dabbled in exotica with egg-nests and also a scoop out & re-fill technique involving smoked bacon.  

I am now curious as to the approaches preferred by my countrymen; @Eoin
    @Stormbringer @TheToast
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Am English and can confirm this is how I bake my potatoes
  • CPFC1905 said:
    Mickey said:

From the recipe I think only line #2 matters,  hot oven and long cook.  I would need persuasion about that fancy-dan hoity-toity cross cutting complication.

Since we're on the subject, the single biggest step change in my spud-life was transitioning from a length ways single splice to a 'quarter and squeeze' pre-dressing potato activation.     It drew much suspicion from my family at the time, but once I started down that a road I couldn't go back. 
    As with most things in life I rely upon the advice of Don Henley about never going back.

In the interests of full disclosure I am a skin last eater as opposed to during because that gives a second pass of the grated cheddar.    I have dabbled in exotica with egg-nests and also a scoop out & re-fill technique involving smoked bacon.  

@Stormbringer @TheToast
    There is so much gold in this response, I’m not sure where to start.  I might have to see a video of the quarter and squeeze technique.

Don Henley was always very wise for his age.  He was talking about this tired old man who we elected king more than 30 years ago now.  God I suddenly feel old myself. 

Merry Christmas, Ed!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    CPFC1905 said:
    Mickey said:

@Stormbringer @TheToast
    There is so much gold in this response, I’m not sure where to start.  I might have to see a video of the quarter and squeeze technique.

Don Henley was always very wise for his age.  He was talking about this tired old man who we elected king more than 30 years ago now.  God I suddenly feel old myself. 

Merry Christmas, Ed!

Ahoy hoy Big Man!  Feliz Navidad as literally no-one says around these parts.

Is the season to be giving, so at the next opportunity I will record and send you footage of my quarter and squeeze technique.  Prepare to be disappointed.

Seems I am the only full-throttle spudista, too.  Not so much sharing from the rest of the tribe.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm digging the idea of the crispy skin. Bums me out when the butter leaks out through ruptured skin. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I tried this yesterday, and it was terrible.  My skin wasn't crisp, it was tough; I'm usually a skin eater too but this was too tough to chew.  
    Only thing I can think of is that my Breville oven fires up the Convection feature when set to "Roast"; will have to dig out the owner's manual and figure out how to turn the convection off, and try it again.  :confused:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    I tried it like I said I would. I shouldn't have used the convection setting, though. The crust shattered when I opened it up more for the butter. Sure was good anyway.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I will try this also - even though the English aren't really known for great food!  LOL.  I was at a conference there years ago and the MC of the event prayed before dinner and asked for the meal to just be edible - not kidding!  I did love the fish and chips there that I got at a neighborhood joint.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Sounds good, My favorite potato is one wrapped in foil and thrown directly into the coals of a bonfire and left until "probes like buttah" so this method makes a lot of sense. Hard to overcook or burn a potato. I don't think my wife has even done that. 
  • TheToast said:
    Am English and can confirm this is how I bake my potatoes
    Same here. :) 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    My SiL is British, she makes fantastic potatoes in many forms, including just baked.  She is firmly in the oil and kosher salt camp.  Cooking great potatoes is probably an underrated skill.  It’s easy to make ok potatoes, we all grew up with ok potatoes over here.
  • Botch
    Corv said:
    I tried it like I said I would. I shouldn't have used the convection setting, though. The crust shattered when I opened it up more for the butter. Sure was good anyway.
    That's weird, my skin couldn't have been further away from "shattering", it was just tough.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I pretty much do the same except at a much lower temperature.  Indoor in the oven, I bake at 300F.  On the egg when doing low and slow, I add potatoes 2-3 hours before the end of the cook.  The two methods above are both giving me thick and crispy skin.  I can see how 400F for 2 hours will result in though skin.  The size if the potatoes probably makes a difference.  Maybe the potatoes that I am using are too small?

Botch said:
    Corv said:
    That's weird, my skin couldn't have been further away from "shattering", it was just tough.  
    it cooked too hot

Botch said:
    Corv said:
    it cooked too hot

@Botch - the Breville oven "roast" mode cranks out more heat from the bottom elements. I think "bake" puts out more balanced heat from the top and bottom. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    Corv said:
    Ah shattered skin is a unicorn in my world. Take care with the roof of your mouth though. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    poster said:

Hard to overcook or burn a potato. I don't think my wife has even done that. 
    I can soooo relate!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    caliking said:
    @Botch - the Breville oven "roast" mode cranks out more heat from the bottom elements. I think "bake" puts out more balanced heat from the top and bottom. 
    I remember you telling me that; it's the convection I'd like to stop.