Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

McRib Reimagined/Reengineered

Options
The Prince and I repurposed Saturday’s leftover bones 3 ways tonight. First was the Prince’s “baseline/control group” — faithful to the original, kinda. Second was the King’s version, with a heavy hand on the pickled jalapeños and pickled red onion, and garlic butter toasting the bun. Third (and winner) was the compromise combo and just right. X-out the pickled onion, load up the thinly sliced vidalias, garlic toasted bun, pickled jalapeños optional. Queen SWMBO rolled her eyes as the boys cooked, feasted and debated the merits of each version.  Chomp!

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks WAAAYYY better than any McRib sammich I've ever seen.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Wow, Those look amazing!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Yes sir!
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    As the kids say, I bet that didn’t suck.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    That looks amazing!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Where is your drive-thru located?  And do you have it on the breakfast menu - or do I have to wait until 11AM?  Because I want one (or three) now.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I Mc the F outta that. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Solely for comparison purposes, here's a throwback to 1989 and the $1.69 "limited time only" promo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ea2_F01o_k

CHOMP!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I would love to know the breed McDs uses for their pork ribs.  Breeding in edible bones is genius.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Those look great and always fun trying different combos. 

This reminded me that I want to try and debone some baby backs to make homemade McRibs. They will definitely require more doneness than my usual baby backs but having a rib patty for sandwiches sounds good to me and will be a fun experiment. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I would love to know the breed McDs uses for their pork ribs.  Breeding in edible bones is genius.
    I'm thinking it involves the anus of that breed... and the breed might be  "Appaloosa" :smiley:

Good idea to make your own @HendersonTRKing - looks great!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Cornholio said:

This reminded me that I want to try and debone some baby backs to make homemade McRibs. They will definitely require more doneness than my usual baby backs but having a rib patty for sandwiches sounds good to me and will be a fun experiment. 

@Cornholio I did a test ( for deboning ribs ) with Baby Back, and St Louis several methods, membrane on off, wrap unwrap , Baby back Membrane ON, wrap for the finish produced the cleanest pulling bones for me, just a twist and pull right out,keeping the Membrane On helped hold everything together  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Calbbqer
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Cornholio said:

@Cornholio I did a test ( for deboning ribs ) with Baby Back, and St Louis several methods, membrane on off, wrap unwrap , Baby back Membrane ON, wrap for the finish produced the cleanest pulling bones for me, just a twist and pull right out,keeping the Membrane On helped hold everything together  

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7959500B1/en

There’s a patent out there that lays out the process for boneless ribs. This guy made a killing after going on shark tank. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Personally, I liked your photo from the weekend - deboned rib meat sandwiched between 2 pieces of cornbread (that's what it looked like).
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Calbbqer said:
    lkapigian said:
    Cornholio said:

There’s a patent out there that lays out the process for boneless ribs. This guy made a killing after going on shark tank. 
    That patent is for cooking ribs.  It says cook from 100 to 300 deg for 1 to 6 hrs, once ribs are loose, pull them out.  Then cool down and freeze your intact slab!  SMH.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Personally, I liked your photo from the weekend - deboned rib meat sandwiched between 2 pieces of cornbread (that's what it looked like).
    That's exactly what it was.  Made the cornbread extra wet (we don't say "moist" here), with a can of green chiles (we don't have hatch here) and a can of creamed corn (it's past fresh corn season here).  Cut up some squares, bisected them and used them as a rib delivery system.  Breakfast the next day featured that cornbread bisected again and griddled under a bacon press to serve as a cushion for more pork and eggs.  I don't like to leave ribs over, but all this repurposing was a lot of fun.  And tasty.   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I love ALL McRibs. @HendersonTRKing this one is likely more delicious than others.  

Still.  I’m not too good for one annual McRib.  They rule

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I love ALL McRibs.

Do you remember when the McRib debuted? The original McRibs was made from rectum, labia majora, labia minora, scrotum and spleen. It was the real deal. Not the crap they serve now. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    That's exactly what it was.  Made the cornbread extra wet (we don't say "moist" here), with a can of green chiles (we don't have hatch here) and a can of creamed corn (it's past fresh corn season here).  Cut up some squares, bisected them and used them as a rib delivery system.  Breakfast the next day featured that cornbread bisected again and griddled under a bacon press to serve as a cushion for more pork and eggs.  I don't like to leave ribs over, but all this repurposing was a lot of fun.  And tasty.   
    I'm thinking I need some "wet" cornbread sometime real soon!  "Rib delivery system" - love that - kinda like I refer to sushi as a "wasabi delivery vehicle".
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Boneless ribs made me think of this - Farside.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Calbbqer said:
    lkapigian said:
    Cornholio said:

https://youtu.be/hIDRGnUhnag
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I'm not alone!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/restaurants/mcrib-knockoffs-review/2020/12/14/f84cd556-3bca-11eb-bc68-96af0daae728_story.html

When the current troubles are over, it's road trip time.  Til then, I'll eat them at the Golden Arches and make my own at home!

Chomp!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Cornholio said:

Chef John agrees. Although he just did them in the oven wrapped in foil then finished on the grill. 

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/05/boneless-baby-back-rib-sandwiches-like.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Funny that this thread was resurrected today because I just recently had a rack of ribs accidentally get done to where I could push the bone out. 

The other day I fired up my egg for some turbo baby backs, just one rack. A few distractions later and I finally got them on just after 6pm. I was a bit pickled at this point after some barely pops I’d had throughout the day. 

Sometime just after 7pm my wife wanted to go grab in-n-out burgers and the kids were hungry so we all got in the car. While in the drive through line I realized I needed to get my ribs off so made it my first priority when we got gone.

I ate my burger and started putting my daughter to bed but forgot about the ribs. About 10 minutes into putting my 3yo to bed I had an oh **** moment and ran out to the egg.

The temperature read just a bit over 300 and upon first inspection the ribs looked fine. Did a bend test and they started breaking apart.

While I don’t always shoot for completely fall off the bone ribs these were pretty dang good. They were plenty moist but I was able to get the bones out clean. 

My only problem is that I was kinda tipsy and while I k ow the general timeline I don’t even know what the temp was throughout the cook. My guess is I saw it hovering around 350 for turbo and then it actually dropped to just over 300 for the majority of the cook. 

Tl;dr - I was a drunk idiot who almost screwed up a rack of ribs but in the end made some ribs that I could get the bones out of for a mock McRib. 
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Also glad this came back around. Forgot to thank you for the post. We had rib leftovers when this post first showed up and it helped make some great lunches. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited December 2020
    Options
    What makes anyone think McRibs are made out of ribs? I had one last week so I'll be good for  a few years. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings back when you could go out to eat. The waitress asked if I wanted bone in or boneless. I said " isn't boneless just nuggets? " she agreed. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    "Do you remember when the McRib debuted? The original McRibs was made from rectum, labia majora, labia minora, scrotum and spleen. It was the real deal. Not the crap they serve now."

Am I the only one that thinks this is a candidate for post of the year?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    SGH said:
    SaltySam said:
    I love ALL McRibs.

Do you remember when the McRib debuted? The original McRibs was made from rectum, labia majora, labia minora, scrotum and spleen. It was the real deal. Not the crap they serve now. 
    You are sick in a good way!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Agree to the timing for this to come back to life. My son asked me to try and make a better McRib. Today I tried turbo for two hours at 350. First hour naked, second foiled with apple juice. No luck so I put them back for another 20 minutes.  Still no luck so I trimmed the bones out. Will complete them when he visits. One of the other posts or videos said to cook a day ahead and just reheat and sauce the day of. I hope he’s happy. Thank all of you for the info.