Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Botch said:
    OT question on an OT thread:
    I finally changed out the burned-out lightbulbs in my frig.  They were both clear glass.  Went to lowe's and couldn't find equivalents, but did find some the same size, in "frosted white", kinda colored like Ivory dish soap except Ivory is now clear.  
    Bought two, installed, and they work fine, so far (~7 hours).  Is there a reason frig bulbs are clear glass, initially?  
    No idea and interesting question. Everything comes down to cost. Maybe clear is cheaper, and since usually the bulb is behind a frosted cover they can save 2 cents/unit?  <shrug>  
    But now most are coming with LEDs.... next time get a new fridge and burned out bulbs will be a thing of the past. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited December 2020
    Shop harder @Botch but in the mean time frosted will work. That said i recommend led
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Well- @JohnInCarolina that viewing did not go well.  Long and challenging season ahead.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Botch said:
    I finally changed out the burned-out lightbulbs in my frig.  They were both clear glass.  Went to lowe's and couldn't find equivalents, but did find some the same size, in "frosted white", kinda colored like Ivory dish soap except Ivory is now clear.  
    Bought two, installed, and they work fine, so far (~7 hours).  Is there a reason frig bulbs are clear glass, initially?  
    Yes, there is a reason.
    And the reason is...Inquiring minds want to know.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Sheldon_Nigel Posts: 173
    edited December 2020
    lousubcap said:
    Botch said:
    Yes, there is a reason.
    And the reason is...Inquiring minds want to know.  
    Oh, I did not mean to give the impression I know.  There is a reason the bulb was clear, may be as simple as it was what was on hand, but I personally do not know the reason.

My guess would be more light output with clear bulb, frosted bulb behind frosted panel will reduce the lumens.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Botch said:
    Sorry can’t help. Hope you don’t get an OT flag like I did earlier on the alarm magnet rant post though  ;)
    As you can now see, I DID get an OT flag for my post in an OT thread.
    I guess that's sort of an affirmation, that I really didn't need, but mebbe we can get $170M in donations from our supporters!  :triumph:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Sheldon_Nigel Posts: 173
    edited December 2020
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Sorry can’t help. Hope you don’t get an OT flag like I did earlier on the alarm magnet rant post though  ;)
    As you can now see, I DID get an OT flag for my post in an OT thread.
    I guess that's sort of an affirmation, that I really didn't need, but mebbe we can get $170M in donations from our supporters!  :triumph:  
    This is specifically a non-OT thread, per John-in-Carolina's title.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Shop harder @Botch but in the mean time frosted will work. That said i recommend led
    "Shop harder Botch" is why I'm a professional bachelor  :lol:

And I didn't see any LED replacements for my bulbs, but again, I prolly should've shopped harder (for $3.70, I'm probably good for the next fifteen years or so...)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    I'm pretty sure it is because they all sit behind a diffuser vs being open (exposed).  Looking at a naked glowing filament is unpleasant.  
    Enrolling my daughter for Pre-K4 next year, re-enrolling my son for 1st grade. They added a pandemic clause this year in the tuition schedule. Basically says, y’all keep paying no matter what. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That's the education racket for you....  At all levels
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Sea2Ski said:
    Botch said:
    No idea and interesting question. Everything comes down to cost. Maybe clear is cheaper, and since usually the bulb is behind a frosted cover they can save 2 cents/unit?  <shrug>  
    But now most are coming with LEDs.... next time get a new fridge and burned out bulbs will be a thing of the past. 

interesting, buy a new fridge every ten years instead of changing the 3 dollar bulb twice every 50 years or so =) my newest fridge is around a 1975, the older one is maybe 1940 and has no bulb which i guess solves a major problem =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    thetrim said:
    Please expand on this, I’m not sure I understand your point.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    ColbyLang said:
    Enrolling my daughter for Pre-K4 next year, re-enrolling my son for 1st grade. They added a pandemic clause this year in the tuition schedule. Basically says, y’all keep paying no matter what. 
    That’s the choice, right?  Keep the kids in private school or bounce them to public.  I’m sure you’re still paying taxes for public schools, regardless of any impact to services they are able deliver.

• interesting, buy a new fridge every ten years instead of changing the 3 dollar bulb twice every 50 years or so =) my newest fridge is around a 1975, the older one is maybe 1940 and has no bulb which i guess solves a major problem =)
    The savings on a $3 bulb is irrelevant compared to what it costs to run a pair of refrigerators from the 40s and 70s. 

Unplugged a ca1980 fridge and the bill went down $30/mo. New one is half that. 

• fishlessman
    PigBeanUs said:

interesting, buy a new fridge every ten years instead of changing the 3 dollar bulb twice every 50 years or so =) my newest fridge is around a 1975, the older one is maybe 1940 and has no bulb which i guess solves a major problem =)
    The savings on a $3 bulb is irrelevant compared to what it costs to run a pair of refrigerators from the 40s and 70s. 

so how much is the kitchen remodel cost when the new fridge dies every ten years and the new fridge does not fit, never mind the cost of the fridge or the repair bill for the included ice maker. i only use about 250kwh per month on average which is pretty much nothing
    fukahwee maine

• New fridge 1,700/15mo savings = 113 months / 12 = 9.5 years to recoup your savings 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    New fridge 1,700/15mo savings = 113 months / 12 = 9.5 years to recoup your savings 

and its designed to die in 10 years, funny how that works
    fukahwee maine

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Legume said:
    thetrim said:
    Please expand on this, I’m not sure I understand your point.
    They get their money no matter the circumstances.   

Pretty simple actually.  

I’m sorry I don’t have a crayon font for you.  That might make it easier for you to comprehend.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My wife: "How many more commercials is Joe Namath going to be in?"

Me: "How do you know who Joe Namath is? Was he a guest on Full House when you watched it as a kid?"

My wife: "Wasn't he a NBA player?"

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • New fridge 1,700/15mo savings = 113 months / 12 = 9.5 years to recoup your savings 
    He’s paid for a new fridge every ten years at that rate. Just never owned it
  • PigBeanUs said:

so how much is the kitchen remodel cost when the new fridge dies every ten years and the new fridge does not fit, never mind the cost of the fridge or the repair bill for the included ice maker. i only use about 250kwh per month on average which is pretty much nothing
    If you can build a shower in an attic, you can probably make a fridge fit. 

Regardless. You are bragging about saving three bucks on a lightbulb. 

Whether you buy a new fridge or not, that’s a weird thing to flex on. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    New fridge 1,700/15mo savings = 113 months / 12 = 9.5 years to recoup your savings 

and its designed to die in 10 years, funny how that works
    More like - it's designed to work for 10 years.

edited December 2020
    WeberWho said:

Me: "How do you know who Joe Namath is? Was he a guest on Full House when you watched it as a kid?"

I have a similar story. A few years back my wife and I were in San Francisco. We were walking around trying to find somewhere to eat. We stopped in to this little unassuming wood fired oven pizza place.

It’s crowded so we sit at the bar. I keep seeing what looks like camera flashes out of the corner of my eye. Thinking nothing of it we continue to watch the wood fired oven and talk to the cooks. All the sudden my wife hits me on the arm and says “oh my gosh look at the table next to us it’s Ryan Stiles” (from the improv tv show “Whose line is it anyway?”) I turn look to my right and say “No babe that’s Joe Montana” “my wife then says “oh, cool who’s Joe Montana?” 

I guess maybe it’s the hair? I don’t really see it...

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    It's a fun day of back-to-back-to-back Zoom meetings
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    edited December 2020
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:

without lifting a finger im pretty much breaking even.  and im living with an unfinished bathroom, i would expect to live with an unfinished kitchen at home and at camp as well if i replaced the fridge. a new fridge with a deep door would be nice but it would hit the stove at home and a support column at camp =) plastic shelving would never survive the animals at work, those metal shelves in the old fridge are almost indestructible, almost
    fukahwee maine

• PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:

without lifting a finger im pretty much breaking even.  and im living with an unfinished bathroom, i would expect to live with an unfinished kitchen at home and at camp as well if i replaced the fridge. a new fridge with a deep door would be nice but it would hit the stove at home and a support column at camp =) plastic shelving would never survive the animals at work, those metal shelves in the old fridge are almost undestructable, almost
    Don't let BigPeanus cause you to question your path.  He us part of cancel culture and happy to just throw out perfectly good hardware and fill up landfills so he can show his buddies his cool new fridge.
  • lousubcap
    @WeberWho and @TEXASBGE2018 classic stories right there.  
  • fishlessman
    WeberWho said:

if someone could go back in time and shoot him so i didnt have to suffer thru all the commercials i would be obliged ;)
    fukahwee maine