Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    so virginia is responsible for the new england burger and dog bbqs we have here. damn you virginia
    Sounds like your unpopular opinion is that burgers and dogs are barbecue

its very popular here, almost an art form.  all thats needed is to upgrade to a viking professional propane grill with an infrared burner for that perfect hotdog. the weber folks dont know bbq
    One of the best methods to warm up a hotdog is to wrap it tightly in a damp paper towel and microwave it.  My preferred time is 1:03, then rest for a few minutes.
    That's how SWMBO does it.  
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I envy those that can just "open a window" and not get a house full of flies. 

we have screens for the flies and indian shutters for the murder hornets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Good to see this thread still has some legs.  I never thought sharing unpopular opinions would be... so popular!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited October 2020
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    As a Virginian, I want to be abundantly clear on this. Virginia Style barbecue sucks, regardless of its role in the genesis of more prevelant styles
    Here are four Virginia sauces to try.   No, I have not made them, so I don't have an opinion, but they appear to be true and unique to Virginia;

https://www.gearpatrol.com/home/a373950/virginia-barbecue-sauces/

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @SandyHookEgger deserved to be kicked out of Dan Nic  ;)
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Successfully egging a brisket is much easier than successfully egging a rack of ribs.  
    And I mean that.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Botch said:
    Successfully egging a brisket is much easier than successfully egging a rack of ribs.  
    And I mean that.  
    Very true, difference between meh brisket and the very bestest brisket is negligible.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Green Lantern was a very underated movie.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    Barbecue in America began in Virginia. Virginia owns the birthright to all barbecue styles in America.  Memphis, North Carolina, (both Piedmont style and Eastern style), South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas City, Central Texas, East Texas, and Alabama styles all began in Virginia and splintered off Virginia style barbecue. 

Probably is an unpopular opinion but it is also fact, not opinion. European settlers in Virginia in the early 1600's learned some techniques from the Powhatan tribe which morphed into the start of "American BBQ". So says Joseph R. Haynes, author of "Virginia Barbecue: A History" which came out a few years ago. Was a good read.

I’m going to pick up his book on Amazon. I found his blog,
    http://ocbarbecue.blogspot.com/?m=1
    and found some great information there. I reached out to him, and asked him for barbecue joints he recommended, and he replied with a list of 11 places around the state to check out. Seems like a nice guy that has a wealth of knowledge on Virginia barbecue and Brunswick Stew. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • butt_juice
    Options
    Use a air exchanger on a tight house
    Actually you should use an ozone generator on a tight house. Be sure to stay inside to monitor the machine while in operation. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Use a air exchanger on a tight house
    Actually you should use an ozone generator on a tight house. Be sure to stay inside to monitor the machine while in operation. 

Good instructions for someone to win a Darwin Award.
    Options
    500 said:
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    Barbecue in America began in Virginia. Virginia owns the birthright to all barbecue styles in America.  Memphis, North Carolina, (both Piedmont style and Eastern style), South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas City, Central Texas, East Texas, and Alabama styles all began in Virginia and splintered off Virginia style barbecue. 

Probably is an unpopular opinion but it is also fact, not opinion. European settlers in Virginia in the early 1600's learned some techniques from the Powhatan tribe which morphed into the start of "American BBQ". So says Joseph R. Haynes, author of "Virginia Barbecue: A History" which came out a few years ago. Was a good read.

I’m going to pick up his book on Amazon. I found his blog,
    http://ocbarbecue.blogspot.com/?m=1
    and found some great information there. I reached out to him, and asked him for barbecue joints he recommended, and he replied with a list of 11 places around the state to check out. Seems like a nice guy that has a wealth of knowledge on Virginia barbecue and Brunswick Stew. 
    Here's an interesting segment of his blog. Haynes is from Fredericksburg VA, my home town. He got a job at Allman's BBQ as a Sophomore in HS. 

He mentions that the Q was never the same after Pete White retired and sold the place in the mid-80s. I can vouch for that. Not bad, but not the same.

Anyway, a take on VA BBQ...

http://ocbarbecue.blogspot.com/2012/02/where-my-barbecue-obsession-began.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Kayak said:
    BBQ originated with people who:

A. Had little to choose from.
    B. Knew next to nothing about nutrition.

Why are we so infatuated with it today?

As a collective, we still don't know much about nutrition. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    caliking said:
    Kayak said:
    BBQ originated with people who:

A. Had little to choose from.
    B. Knew next to nothing about nutrition.

Why are we so infatuated with it today?

As a collective, we still don't know much about nutrition. 
    Do you mean that the average Joe still eats a poorly balanced diet? Or that scientists and medical professionals still have significant room for growth in regards to understanding nutrition? 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    In my opinion both- nutrition studies are difficult because the experiments don’t/can’t make everyone’s diet exactly the same.  So a lot of outside influences that impact the results.   

How many times have we heard eggs are good/ then bad/ then good. 

Fat, carbs, red meat, etc. 

sugar, salt?

Greensboro, NC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Michael Pollan has the best diet advice..

Eat food.
    Not too much.
    Mostly plants.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Acn said:

Eat food.
    Not too much.
    Mostly plants.
    Have you ever seen a cow!  They only eat plants and they are fat!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Acn said:

Eat food.
    Not too much.
    Mostly plants.
    Wild cows are not fat.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Acn said:

Eat food.
    Not too much.
    Mostly plants.
    Thus... item number two.  It would seem that you’ve only focused on two of the pieces of advice, while ignoring the third.  Do you try to sit on a lot of two-legged stools, Ozzie?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Acn said:

Eat food.
    Not too much.
    Mostly plants.
    Thus... item number two.  It would seem that you’ve only focused on two of the pieces of advice, while ignoring the third.  Do you try to sit on a lot of two-legged stools, Ozzie?
    Is that why I am always falling over?  You know how hard it is to cherry pick advice and recommendations to serve a preconceived notion?
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Walnut & Locust are the best smoking woods 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Beer over brown water while tending the egg. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Beer over brown water while tending the egg. 
    That's quite popular with me as the pacing is critical to recognizing and then finishing the cook, especially if a protracted event.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Deep frying in oil is better than "frying" in air.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Deep frying in oil is better than "frying" in air.
    You think that opinion is unpopular?

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Pork is really not "The other white meat"
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    or spouse
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Pork is more fun as a verb.
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian