Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Just the two of us.  Should probably buy some more wine.
    NOLA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    We always go to the Ranch for Thanksgiving. Some years its been upwards of 40 people. This year we're still going to the ranch, but it is immediate family. The wife and I and Duke, her Mom and Dad, her sister and her husband and their two little ones. Its gonna be weird, but relaxing and quiet and a sh!t ton easier to cook for our little gathering. Looking forward to it actually.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    We are going to keep it small.  My dad is 90 and we need to protect him.

This is the year to sacrifice and not have large get togethers to protect ourselves and others.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My wife wants to drag me to her family Thanksgiving event. She comes from a large family, and there will be about 45 folks in attendance. I am working on my excuse not to go. 
    Well, I can think of one...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just us and the kid-Ults (20-somethings) here. No way I would do thanksgiving on an election year with my extended family 😂. 

I kid but no way with COVID. We have several people who do not share the same values as us on things we consider to be safe so we are chilling at home. As a matter of fact, 2 of those people attended an 80 person party for another’s family member 2-weeks ago and both have COVID as we speak. I’m not looking to change anyone’s mind but not willing to compromise what I think is right so we will get together another time. Maybe a zoom toast or something. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love the idea of helping others out too. Great idea
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I'll be working. Splitting my time between work, parents, ladyfriend and getting the boat ready for opening day...getting frustrated with decoy spread as I don't think I'll have all my wooden decoys ready
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    My wife wants to drag me to her family Thanksgiving event. She comes from a large family, and there will be about 45 folks in attendance. I am working on my excuse not to go. 
    Just make an early exit and come over to my house and drink beer.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    One of my best friends from HS, college, and throughout our Air Force careers just sent his Mom to the hospital, heart issues and COVID positive.

Be careful, folks.   :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’m going alligator hunting. BBQ gator tail on Saturday. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Botch said:
    One of my best friends from HS, college, and throughout our Air Force careers just sent his Mom to the hospital, heart issues and COVID positive.

Be careful, folks.   :|

dont trust anyone out there right now, im watching shops all around me sending workers home and or closing for 14 days. places im in every week, wheres so and so, who are you, businesses are keeping it mum, dont trust anyone. hope she does well, there seems to be more handling it better around me than earlier on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I’m going alligator hunting. BBQ gator tail on Saturday. 
    I hope you post it 🤞

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

You don't need an excuse. In a group of 50, the chance of at least one person having it is substantial, likely upwards of 25%.  In Chicago they're estimating 50% chance at least one person has it in a group of 50, and I believe it - I had two "low risk" exposures last week, at work, and we screen every person coming through the door.  

It's getting bad around here again, and we're on a bad trajectory.  No big Thanksgiving for us.  I'm trying to keep the in-laws out.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    blind99 said:

You don't need an excuse. In a group of 50, the chance of at least one person having it is substantial, likely upwards of 25%.  In Chicago they're estimating 50% chance at least one person has it in a group of 50, and I believe it - I had two "low risk" exposures last week, at work, and we screen every person coming through the door.  

It's getting bad around here again, and we're on a bad trajectory.  No big Thanksgiving for us.  I'm trying to keep the in-laws out.
    Right.  Holding a 50 person family gathering is just plain ignorant given the math.
    Options
    It will be just us and the children. If you can weasel out, come on up.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    My  side of the family is in Houston. 2 brothers, 2 sisters and various spouses, etc.

My dad is 88.

They want to have a traditional get together. They have had a few get togethers already with my father present.

I'm scared sh!!tless of him getting COVID since it's pretty much adios amigo.

I miss my family very much. My dad normally travels to Austin in March and October on the VONLANE bus from Houston, but not this year.

I'm really torn. This sucks.
    My Pops is 84, and lives with me. I nixed plans for the family getting together here, and I think one sis is still pissed at me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    caliking said:
    dmchicago said:
    My  side of the family is in Houston. 2 brothers, 2 sisters and various spouses, etc.

My dad is 88.

They want to have a traditional get together. They have had a few get togethers already with my father present.

I'm scared sh!!tless of him getting COVID since it's pretty much adios amigo.

I miss my family very much. My dad normally travels to Austin in March and October on the VONLANE bus from Houston, but not this year.

I'm really torn. This sucks.
    My Pops is 84, and lives with me. I nixed plans for the family getting together here, and I think one sis is still pissed at me. 
    This is a very difficult position for everyone. I feel for you guys doing the right thing to protect yourselves and your loved ones. Keep doing it. Stay safe.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Finally announced no TG get together to the family. Most understood, some did not. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.