Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Options
I know it’s a month away but what are your plans during this jacked up Covid mess?  How to plan to celebrate or will it be a washout? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Probably just my MIL along with my wife and kids.  No extended family for us until COVID-concerns are mitigated.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    We've pretty much canceled our plans. I'll still do a turkey breast and dressing :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jones2289
    Options
    I think we're staying home...probably catching up on stuff around the house and cooking a meal big enough for the two of us with a day or two of leftovers.  

We're both from small families, and neither us nor our siblings have kids.    
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    We are tossing the idea of delivery. We cook most of the food anyways so we could easily make care packages and do a drop n run type deal. 

analyze adapt overcome

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    usually have a big crowd for he long weekend at camp, this year its just dad, hopefully some fishing if the lake isnt frozen, and put the boat away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    on the fence yet, its the one of the few times in a year that we see extended family.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Gone to Ft Myers beach.  Just immediate family.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    We will not be having anyone over and just having a small dinner with the three of us in the household.  While we'll miss everyone, I couldn't live with myself if my 93 year old grandmother became infected at our event.

On the bright side, not having the pressure of delivering dinner may allow us to try out some new recipes that we may not have tried in the past.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Let me start this rant by saying that I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving -- all of it:  the food, the family, the Thursday NFL games, the odd traditions and rituals specific to our event, and even (especially?) the occasional (!) squabbles and drama that often seems to ride along with the holiday.   

With the extended family widely dispersed from Maine to Connecticut to Delaware to Florida to Colorado, and those still speaking to each other unwilling or unable to travel to a central location (our place), several weeks ago we hatched a tentative plan for hosting Friendsgiving with 4 families that more or less are in our "pod."  Unfortunately, the recent and dramatic spike in cases (not CAUSED BY testing, duh, since testing merely UNCOVERS existing infections), those plans permanently have been shelved.  Too much concern about all of our college-aged "kid-ults" showing up with their super-immune systems and unwittingly spreading whatever they're unknowingly carrying, asymptomatically, of course.  Soooo, it's likely to be a nucular family event, where we will eat a baby-sized Mad Max turkey along with the usual sides (downsized) and, sadly, fewer desserts.   IDK about anyone else, but around here COVID-related concerns are running neck and neck with what is anticipated to be a critical shortage of leftovers. 

When we sit down to the table, tradition dictates that everyone in attendance say a word or 2 in acknowledgment of our blessings, which are many.  But eff 2020 with a red hot poker. 
    The twenty somethings are a major concern. 

analyze adapt overcome

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    our thanksgiving will be the typical...wife works, Norah Grace is making a turkey bread and a few desserts.   I’ll do the typical sides and my in-laws will come over.   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I'm thinking about how we can help support our community. These are incredibly tough times. 

https://www.shfb.org/
    Good thoughts for sure.  We will keep that part of our holidays for sure. There is a local women’s shelter that we usually take a turkey and ham to. 

analyze adapt overcome

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Let me start this rant by saying that I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving -- all of it:  the food, the family, the Thursday NFL games, the odd traditions and rituals specific to our event, and even (especially?) the occasional (!) squabbles and drama that often seems to ride along with the holiday.   

With the extended family widely dispersed from Maine to Connecticut to Delaware to Florida to Colorado, and those still speaking to each other unwilling or unable to travel to a central location (our place), several weeks ago we hatched a tentative plan for hosting Friendsgiving with 4 families that more or less are in our "pod."  Unfortunately, the recent and dramatic spike in cases (not CAUSED BY testing, duh, since testing merely UNCOVERS existing infections), those plans permanently have been shelved.  Too much concern about all of our college-aged "kid-ults" showing up with their super-immune systems and unwittingly spreading whatever they're unknowingly carrying, asymptomatically, of course.  Soooo, it's likely to be a nucular family event, where we will eat a baby-sized Mad Max turkey along with the usual sides (downsized) and, sadly, fewer desserts.   IDK about anyone else, but around here COVID-related concerns are running neck and neck with what is anticipated to be a critical shortage of leftovers. 

When we sit down to the table, tradition dictates that everyone in attendance say a word or 2 in acknowledgment of our blessings, which are many.  But eff 2020 with a red hot poker. 
    The twenty somethings are a major concern. 

my area its the less than 19 yo taking the lead
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We typically have a very large gathering at our house, with 20+ people.

Not this year.

We are currently looking at securing an additional patio heater so that we can have a small dinner with my parents on the porch, and hoping it won’t be too cold out there.  We’ll probably assemble everything on the plates for them and hand them out, rather than the traditional buffet style we’d normally do inside.  My parents are both retired and in their 70’s, so even this is making us a little nervous.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Just the wife and I this year.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    dmourati said:
    I'm thinking about how we can help support our community. These are incredibly tough times. 

The last 4-5 years we make an extra Thanksgiving meal for a family in need. We don't ask for any background or details but just ask that they truly need it. You can cook a whole Thanksgiving meal for under $40. Especially when the Turkeys go on sale for .60 cents a pound. I'd like to smoke two extra birds and sides this year for families. 

It's an awesome way to help a family out. Most of us here have an extra grill or an oven that they aren't using. This year families are going to need an extra hand.
    What a great gesture, I think that’s what we will do, thank you for posting that
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    dmourati said:

The last 4-5 years we make an extra Thanksgiving meal for a family in need. We don't ask for any background or details but just ask that they truly need it. You can cook a whole Thanksgiving meal for under $40. Especially when the Turkeys go on sale for .60 cents a pound. I'd like to smoke two extra birds and sides this year for families. 

It's an awesome way to help a family out. Most of us here have an extra grill or an oven that they aren't using. This year families are going to need an extra hand.
    What a great gesture, I think that’s what we will do, thank you for posting that
    Thank you! That's awesome!!!

I think most of us think Thanksgiving has to be this picture perfect meal. It's really not that at all. Someone who might not be able to provide for their family this year won't mind if the turkey is a tad dry, the gravy isn't made from scratch, the potatoes are from a box, and that the dessert was premade. I promise you that. 

We all like to cook. It doesn't have to be an immaculate meal like in the movies. It's the thought and gesture what makes it meaningful. In the end it feeds a family who can sit around the table and not have to worry about life for a few minutes. That's what it's all about!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Plans aren’t changing for us. We swap every year who we visit, either my side of the family or my wife’s. This year is her side so there will be 12 of us. We used to have around 50 on my wives side with extended family but my wife’s grandmother passed away last year so the big get togethers are done now.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Papa Johns
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Still waiting on my marching orders. We have my sisters large preschool and I have an industrial strength ozone generator to sanitize it before and after. There are multiple rooms as well as outdoor space. If it happens it will be on a Sunday. 
  • egglover73
    Options
    Some old friends catching up. Finally, our reunion plans are coming into action. Since all are stuck at home, we have abundant time.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Will be interesting this year as it will be just my wife and me plus our 2 college aged daughters. I’m on call for my group that week (which will suck) and my eldest daughter will be working @ Boston Children’s Hospital on the holiday. Most likely a full turkey dinner later in the evening. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Getting together with one other couple and our two adult children.  There will be 6 of us.  None of us are in college.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Just immediate family. 12 healthy adults in total. Going out for the traditional morning duck hunt, then the meal outside in a tent with sides & heaters. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My wife wants to drag me to her family Thanksgiving event. She comes from a large family, and there will be about 45 folks in attendance. I am working on my excuse not to go. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Like others we will be hanging with the immediate family, I'll probably cook a turkey breast and some ham. Football is always on the ticket too. Also, looking forward to duck season starting!
    LBGE
    AL