Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Houston bbq

In Houston for the weekend. Any recommendations for some good que?
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Blood Brothers is my go to. I’ve been eating their grub since they were a pop up. They’re in the Bellaire area. 

Pinkerton’s and the Pit Room are both awesome as well. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited October 2020
    Killen’s has been my favorite of the places I’ve been.  If you don’t go there I would at least stop at a HEB and get their rubs. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    I can't comment on Truth BBQ in Houston but their place in Brenham was worth the stop I made last year.
    The Houston place is linked here:
    https://www.truthbbq.com/our-story  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Paging @cazzy
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited October 2020

lousubcap said:
    I can't comment on Truth BBQ in Houston but their place in Brenham was worth the stop I made last year.
    The Houston place is linked here:
    https://www.truthbbq.com/our-story  
    Big fans of Truth BBQ here. Its the only place that Pops asks to get 'cue from.

I pulled some Truth BBQ beef ribs form the freezer (leftovers from 1/2020). Made a ramenesque lunch last weekend. Pops took one bite and said, "This is from Truth, right?"

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Obviously a bunch of local folks that can offer better advice than me- but I might explore some of fantastic ethnic options the city has to offer. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Luling City Market
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The truth is...well...the truth. It’s good. Cazzy Likely makes the best q in West Houston  though. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    The truth is...well...the truth. It’s good. Cazzy Likely makes the best q in West Houston  though. 
    No doubt!

• caliking
    Wolfpack said:
    Obviously a bunch of local folks that can offer better advice than me- but I might explore some of fantastic ethnic options the city has to offer. 
    Oh man. One wouldn’t think it, but Asian eats are phenomenal here. 

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Corkscrew is great if you end up in the Spring/Woodlands area.   Luling is good if in the Galleria area and Killens is good if you’re in the Pearland area.   I haven’t been to Truth but have heard good things.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • We went to Pinkerton’s. It was pretty good. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • 20stone
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • thetrim said:
    Luling City Market
    I lived in Houston from 2002 to 2005 and this was my go to. Probably the best brisket I’ve ever had. 
  • 20stone
    thetrim said:
    Luling City Market
    I lived in Houston from 2002 to 2005 and this was my go to. Probably the best brisket I’ve ever had. 
    At the risk of being “that guy,” but as a near-lifetime Houstonian, BBQ has changed A LOT in the interim.  Places that we’re good back then are still as good, but the new guys are playing a different game. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2020
    My apologies...very late to this party.  Some of my favs were listed.

I recommend the following in this order if you ever return:

Tejas Chocolate + Barbecue
    Truth Barbecue 
    CorkScrew Barbecue
    Pinkerton’s Barbecue
    Blood Bros Barbecue
    Killen’s Barbecue 
    Brett’s Barbecue Shop 
    The Pit Room Barbecue 
    Gatlin’s Barbecue 
    Harlem Road Barbecue 
    Dozier’s Barbecue 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    The truth is...well...the truth. It’s good. Cazzy Likely makes the best q in West Houston  though. 
    I appreciate the love bro!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    What ever you do, don't be stealing no signs.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Headed to Houston to work for the weekend. I’m hoping to hit a couple que places mentioned. I’m curious, anyone know of a place that serves brisket tacos for breakfast? I’ll be staying just inside of 610 on the north side of the city. Thanks for any help. 
    Snellville, GA

• TechsasJim
    Man that’s a unique area.   I’m sure there are spots that would fit the bill but I’m never there.   Clearly there is Rudy’s.   There are other places out a ways that do bad ass breakfast tacos if you don’t need brisket.  

My 2 favorite haunts are:   TX tacos (Jones rd and 290) or Carnitas (which is wonderful) Beltway 8 and Gessner.  
  • caliking
    Man that’s a unique area.   I’m sure there are spots that would fit the bill but I’m never there.   Clearly there is Rudy’s.   There are other places out a ways that do bad ass breakfast tacos if you don’t need brisket.  

My 2 favorite haunts are:   TX tacos (Jones rd and 290) or Carnitas (which is wonderful) Beltway 8 and Gessner.  
    I think The Pit Room does something like that, but not sure. They're in the Montrose area IIRC, closer to the med center. 

There's a place likely closer to you, Gatlin's BBQ, that supposedly makes a killer brisket breakfast sammich on a biscuit. Haven't tried it myself, yet. I took a quick peek at their menu, and looks like they have a breakfast taco with brisket. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Headed to Houston to work for the weekend. I’m hoping to hit a couple que places mentioned. I’m curious, anyone know of a place that serves brisket tacos for breakfast? I’ll be staying just inside of 610 on the north side of the city. Thanks for any help. 
    Some incredible food trucks all over Houston. Don’t get hung up just looking for brisket.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thank you guys. We will hit up Gatlin’s for breakfast. Hoping to make it to another for dinner one night (possibly truth) and we will keep
    our eyes open for the food trucks as well. 
    Snellville, GA

• TechsasJim
    Truth is darn good.    Try whatever you can, we have great food all over the place here.    

Enjoy the ride
  • Wanted to circle back- Thank you for the recommendations guys.

First we tried Pinkerton’s. Brisket and ribs. Best ribs I’ve ever eaten, by far. I thought my ribs were decent. They actually suck. Brisket was unreal. On par with Valentino’s. Not sure how brisket could get any better. 

Next we tried The Pit Room. Brisket and ribs again. Both were great but not nearly as tender and flavorful as pinkerton’s. It was more reassurance my ribs suck. I need to try St. Louis cut instead of always baby backs. We never had a chance to get breakfast tacos. We will be back. 

Thanks again. 
    Snellville, GA

• Photo Egg
    edited September 2022
    Wanted to circle back- Thank you for the recommendations guys.

First we tried Pinkerton’s. Brisket and ribs. Best ribs I’ve ever eaten, by far. I thought my ribs were decent. They actually suck. Brisket was unreal. On par with Valentino’s. Not sure how brisket could get any better. 

Next we tried The Pit Room. Brisket and ribs again. Both were great but not nearly as tender and flavorful as pinkerton’s. It was more reassurance my ribs suck. I need to try St. Louis cut instead of always baby backs. We never had a chance to get breakfast tacos. We will be back. 

Thanks again. 
    Great review and fantastic photos!
    what about the sides?
    mac n cheese and corn specifically.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The sides were just ok. It may have been because the protein was just so damn good. Mac was a bit dry for my taste. The beans were really good but boy were they hot. Not sure what kind of pepper they use in them but it hits you after about 4 bites and it does not stop burning for about 10 minutes. Lit me up. I’m pretty weak when it comes to anything spicier than a jalapeño. The corn was unfortunately too salty for me to eat. I had one bite and that was enough. I bet if I would have had them hold off on the toppings (white sauce, hot sauce and cheesy) it would have been less salty. I think next time I make it out to Texas I’m going to pass on the sides. The meat is so good the sides just take up space. 

Snellville, GA

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2022
    Never ate in Houston, but did spend 7 days at a conference in San Antonio.  Most of my meals were by my motel on the river walk, and were good Tex-mex offerings. Had some good seafood offerings also. Enjoyed the bars by the river and smoked some excellent Cuban cigars that week! Had a good time and excellent food and drinks!
  • Photo Egg
    edited September 2022
    The sides were just ok. It may have been because the protein was just so damn good. Mac was a bit dry for my taste. The beans were really good but boy were they hot. Not sure what kind of pepper they use in them but it hits you after about 4 bites and it does not stop burning for about 10 minutes. Lit me up. I’m pretty weak when it comes to anything spicier than a jalapeño. The corn was unfortunately too salty for me to eat. I had one bite and that was enough. I bet if I would have had them hold off on the toppings (white sauce, hot sauce and cheesy) it would have been less salty. I think next time I make it out to Texas I’m going to pass on the sides. The meat is so good the sides just take up space. 

That sucks
    So many places over salt the sh*t out of their food or make basic sides spicy enough to kill the taste of the food.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    The sides were just ok. It may have been because the protein was just so damn good. Mac was a bit dry for my taste. The beans were really good but boy were they hot. Not sure what kind of pepper they use in them but it hits you after about 4 bites and it does not stop burning for about 10 minutes. Lit me up. I’m pretty weak when it comes to anything spicier than a jalapeño. The corn was unfortunately too salty for me to eat. I had one bite and that was enough. I bet if I would have had them hold off on the toppings (white sauce, hot sauce and cheesy) it would have been less salty. I think next time I make it out to Texas I’m going to pass on the sides. The meat is so good the sides just take up space. 

Sounds like you had a good time. Makes me want to hit up Pinkerton's. 

The sides game is evolving. Many joints set themselves apart from the crowd by serving top-notch classic sides, or very innovative "traditional" sides with a twist. Its definitely a win for us!