Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steve Raichlen Brisket Cookbook

Anyone have or read this book? Just curious if it's worth adding one more cookbook to the shelf.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I seriously cannot even see or hear his name without thinking about stolen photos.

I wonder if @SGH missing brisket will be in the book?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I seriously cannot even see or hear his name without thinking about stolen photos.

No, this one is all @HeavyG photo credits.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    My thought would be NO on the book.  Have @lousubcap send you his brisket PM and watch the Aaron Franklin brisket videos.  The rest is usually up to the cow.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Legume said:

What if Steve is actually @HeavyG?
    Did you see my his appearance in the online Eggtoberfest2020 on Saturday afternoon?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I have seen him a couple times and he gets on my nerves for some reason. I dont own anything of his and this wont be on my shelf either.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    “First, buy a $20,000 custom grille and a load of boutique firewood.........
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Dawgtired said:
    Anyone have or read this book? Just curious if it's worth adding one more cookbook to the shelf.
    Do not get any BBQ cookbooks from him. They are terrible. All you need is on here. Lousubcap has a great write up and I will be glad to help as well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:

What if Steve is actually @HeavyG?
    Did you see my his appearance in the online Eggtoberfest2020 on Saturday afternoon?
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Can you tell Raichlen's not real popular here? =) I used to have his BBQ Bible. My BIL gave it to me. Said it sucked, but I could have it if I wanted it. Free is free so I took it. He was right, it sucked - so I tossed it. No more SR for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Can you tell Raichlen's not real popular here? =) I used to have his BBQ Bible. My BIL gave it to me. Said it sucked, but I could have it if I wanted it. Free is free so I took it. He was right, it sucked - so I tossed it. No more SR for me.
    Agreed.  I watched him early on before I found out about the egg and was trying to do things on my **** chargriller offset.  Learned way more from this place than Raichlen could ever teach.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I held back because I didn't want to be the first to say that Raichlen is not popular around here.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I'm not gonna lie, he was the gateway to where I am now.  I HAD several of his books and a gas grill.  I knew there had to be a better way.  I don't think I have any BBQ or cooking related books anymore. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    That's one of the things about this place that makes me chuckle - the Raichlen hate.

I like Raichlen. There... I said it.  B)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited October 2020
    Dawgtired said:
    Do not get any BBQ cookbooks from him. They are terrible. All you need is on here. Lousubcap has a great write up and I will be glad to help as well. 
    To be fair, between his BBQ Bible and his BBQ USA I have found one recipie I like.  Chile-Marinated Pork in the style of Oaxaca.  I do replace the oregano with marjoram, and I do not cook or serve how he recommends, but the general idea is decent.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    HeavyG said:
    That's one of the things about this place that makes me chuckle - the Raichlen hate.

Nice try, Steve. 
    NOLA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I have one book of sauces and rubs that he published. No idea who originally came up with them.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Hysterical! Thanks for saving me some cash!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Dawgtired said:

Thanks...he sent me that and answered some questions as well. Most helpful indeed! I was just wondering if there was more to know. Sometimes I just overthink things and get in my own way.

Ronald Reagan

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have one book of sauces and rubs that he published. No idea who originally came up with them.
    I have that book also. Picked it up years ago when Books A Million had the dollar bin. Like yourself, I have no idea rather they are his creation or someone  else’s. But that aside, I will say there are some very good rubs, marinades and sauces in the book. It was well worth the dollar. I will go so far to say the book is worth the cover price. I have never been a fan of his. But I definitely like many things in that particular book. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    HeavyG said:

Ha has company - Dr. BBQ  =)
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    SGH said:
    I have that book also. Picked it up years ago when Books A Million had the dollar bin. Like yourself, I have no idea rather they are his creation or someone  else’s. But that aside, I will say there are some very good rubs, marinades and sauces in the book. It was well worth the dollar. I will go so far to say the book is worth the cover price. I have never been a fan of his. But I definitely like many things in that particular book. 

Agreed, in fact I have posted one of them here, Turkish Marinade I believe. Like you I bought my copy at the discount rack but at a different store.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Agreed, in fact I have posted one of them here, Turkish Marinade I believe. Like you I bought my copy at the discount rack but at a different store.
    The more I thought about it I actually got the book from the now defunct Waldenbooks that was in the Singing River Mall in Gautier. Not Books A Million. Sadly Waldenbooks and the Singing River Mall has both gone the way of the buffalo. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Dawgtired - there is always more to know but after a certain point you get it from wrestling with the brisket as every cook is a journey unto itself.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    HeavyG said:

He hasn't stolen any pics of your cooks yet, obvi...

Oh, wait.  :tongue:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure