Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Science

Options
Do you believe in it?  Do you trust it? 

Why or why not.  Go.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    ^^^  ditto  ^^^
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    To play the devils advocate here...even multiple studies have the chance to be influenced. 

I’m thinking of the many studies in the nutrition world. There seems to be an ever changing set of rules and guidelines. Many of the initial FDA guidelines were influenced by lobbying groups- pointing at you Sugar. Can’t remember the title, but there was an interesting documentary on Netflix- edit think it was Fed Up. 

Eggs, cholesterol, fats, red meat, etc have all been in and out of favor over the years. 

Nutritional studies are difficult to control and often have a lot of opinions and inferences based on trends. So hardly the tightly controlled studies that we can rely on.

But, as @SciAggie so accurately describes above it often takes time to refine and tune what we know and learn:

“Accurate interpretation of the observed behavior or phenomenon takes time to develop. It also changes as understanding or new observations are made. “

I will also say there is a huge difference between science and public opinion. Science is good and pure, it’s when it get influenced by $ that things can go sideways. 

Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don’t believe in science.  I know that science doesn’t care what I believe, because  I practice it.

It’s not bulletproof.  Science is performed by scientists who are human and humans make mistakes. But collectively, we tend to get things more right than wrong, especially over time.  

As for trust, the funny thing is that scientists are trained not to trust any single result.  Science is the practice of not only asking why but also questioning - why not?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    science?

Unfortunately you have to follow the money in many cases.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Unfortunately you have to follow the money in many cases.
    What percentage of scientific studies are influenced by money, do you imagine?

I think what some people don’t realize is that million dollar research grants aren’t money the scientists are pocketing.  The vast majority of the funds goes to overhead, staff salaries, equipment, and etc.  With academic PIs for example, we are on base salaries provided by the University.  My ability to increase that through grants is limited.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Published: 3:47 PM EDT October 5, 2020
    Updated: 3:52 PM EDT October 5, 2020

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevent has officially updated its guidance to acknowledge that airborne spread of the coronavirus is possible and should be taken seriously. 

The agency had previously taken down similar guidance last month, saying at the time that it was posted in error.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I was by no means implying the scientists were getting rich. A example would be scientists at Monsanto say roundup is not harmful to humans. Do I believe that, no.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevent has officially updated its guidance to acknowledge that airborne spread of the coronavirus is possible and should be taken seriously. 

The agency had previously taken down similar guidance last month, saying at the time that it was posted in error.

You realize that this isn’t reflective of science so much as the politicization of science by political appointees, right?
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I believe in the Scientific Method.  Issues can arise surrounding interpretation of data.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

You realize that this isn’t reflective of science so much as the politicization of science by political appointees, right?
    Exactly. And with that I’m out! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The other aspect on the influence of money in science, particularly in the US but elsewhere too, is to realize that the vast majority is government sponsored by agencies like the NIH, the NSF, DOE, and DoD.  Those agencies are interested in fundamental science.  They are providing funds to investigators to explore particular topics, sure, but they aren’t telling them what to find.  They don’t even express a preference.  Program managers aren’t out there telling PIs that they have to show X from their study of Y if they want their funding to continue.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I was by no means implying the scientists were getting rich. A example would be scientists at Monsanto say roundup is not harmful to humans. Do I believe that, no.
    Fair enough.  My point would just be that corporate funded research is a fairly small piece of the overall pie.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Heresy!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I’m not blinded by science. But I sure as sht trust the scientific process and the pursuit of truth and fact over opinion and conjecture. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i just want to know where the boats go when they disappear over the horizon =)    every weekend just about someone says all the boats are fishing the other side and pointing at boats that are less than half way there, seems impossible to explain to them that you cant actually see the boats on the other side of the lake
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    edited October 2020
    Options
    The wife works in Research Admin at IU. Every grant the University is awarded goes across her desk. They were awarded 740+ million dollars for the past fiscal year in research grants.
    Yea for science!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Once upon a time I dated a lady that Blinded Me With Science, physiology in particular.  Been a believer ever since.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options

Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    We ask questions of the world around us. We get the answers through science. 

When Galileo looked through his telescope and saw the moons of Jupiter it didn’t matter what anyone “believed” - there they were. We observe nature and the physical world - it is what it is. 
    Trust?
    Maybe not one study. Multiple studies? Peer reviewed? Information/consensus/ trends over time? Yeah, I trust that. 
    Accurate interpretation of the observed behavior or phenomenon takes time to develop. It also changes as understanding or new observations are made. 
    Science 101 stuff as you know. 
    Well said, Gary.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Science is very broadbase , there are aspects I trust completely ....The science of Fermentation I totally trust , how else would I leave meat hanging in a closet for a week and believe that the metabolic process that produces such delicious foods 

@SciAggie , great post 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    The phrasing is the issue in the question -  using the word belief is kind of odd.  It's not a religion, it's a group of methodologies to better understand and explain the world around us, and it evolves as we learn. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    All of my Facebook friends are scientists. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I believe in science. I also believe that almost everything in this country boils down to money. And finally I believe that common sense used to be common but is now a super power. 
    So... the more things change the more they stay the same.

Nostalgia - there's a lot of science to it.  :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use to be very skeptical of science. But once they discovered ShamWow and Alien Tape I was convinced. Hard to deny the science behind them. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like this thread has been stampeded 🤔 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As usual, @Botch has been up to no good...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.