Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: when it turns COLD and rains for days :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
When it turns cold and rains for days - don't get mad - make chili dog sauce! 

Way back in 2002 on the original BGE forum an egger named Chuck Lane shared a knock off recipe of the chili dog sauce sold by The Varsity in Atlanta. I've been making it ever since and developed my own method of what speeds the prep and subsequent packaging along tremendously!

Here's the pot after 5 hours (on my stove Heaven forbid!) from 2.25 pounds of 80/20.

And then after an overnight rest I packaged it into 1/4 cup pucks and then frozen which we find is perfect for 2 GREAT chili dogs! Reheating each puck after thawing takes 12 seconds in a microwave.

I'd be glad to share Chuck's recipe as well as my methodology which I have found works well.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Ron, please share the recipe and method. I've made versions of the Varsity Chili before, but I'm sure your version is better.

Thanks
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Well don't tease us lol.  Please post the recipe
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Puck Yeah!  :triumph:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    Options

Varsity Chili Dog Knock Off Sauce

Posted by: Chuck Lane on 2002/11/13 21:49:17 

1 pound ground chuck

1 3/4 cups water

2 tablespoons chile powder

2 teaspoons paprika

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon granulated onion

2 teaspoons salt

1 dash tobasco sauce

Put water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs!

Regards,

Chuck Lane

RRP here…Here you go - trust me this is really good! I make double batches and then scoop into a measuring cup making “pucks” drop them on a cookie sheet OR onto Saran wrap and then freeze. Pull out one at a time - and believe it or not they will last a year or more frozen as they are so GOOD!

Furthermore I have since learned that aftermaking the batch, then cooling and then placing the DO in the refrig overnight the packing of the 1/4 cup is easier to do. 

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I've made your stuffed peppers and bought a few gaskets. Thank you. I'll look into this as well. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    One dash of Tabasco sauce Ron? Come on man. JKOC.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I wouldn't drive around with them bagged up like that.you get pulled over the cops will get you for distribution.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    RRP said:

Way back in 2002 on the original BGE forum an egger named Chuck Lane shared a knock off recipe of the chili dog sauce sold by The Varsity in Atlanta. I've been making it ever since and developed my own method of what speeds the prep and subsequent packaging along tremendously!

Here's the pot after 5 hours (on my stove Heaven forbid!) from 2.25 pounds of 80/20.

And then after an overnight rest I packaged it into 1/4 cup pucks and then frozen which we find is perfect for 2 GREAT chili dogs! Reheating each puck after thawing takes 12 seconds in a microwave.

I'd be glad to share Chuck's recipe as well as my methodology which I have found works well.
    Don't you live right down the road from Emo's?  With that close by, no need to make your own!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Don't you live right down the road from Emo's?  With that close by, no need to make your own!
    No - I just met you near Emo's - I live way out in Dunlap. Besides this chili dog sauce beats that canned dog food Emo's serves a thousand times - AT LEAST!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Thanks for posting, will try this for sure.  And great technique for freezing.

Never had a Chili Dog before ... I know, I know, I do not get out much  :)

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RRP
    Options
    The most tedious part is breaking up the raw ground beef into tiny pieces. I have since read a hint in Cook’s Illustrated to use a pastry cutter which I believe will make the going much easier. 

Another hint I forgot to add was I keep a container of very hot water to dip the measuring cup into before filling each time. That is just enough to make the release of the meat puck easier, though I still bang the edge onto the cookie sheet so it will fall out intact.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    First of all, lots of great ideas tons of important details here Ron.  Thank you for sharing!

How many of these pucks are you and Pat going through a year?   What's the yearly chili dog consumption level look like on your side of Dunlap?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Options
    First of all, lots of great ideas tons of important details here Ron.  Thank you for sharing!

How many of these pucks are you and Pat going through a year?   What's the yearly chili dog consumption level look like on your side of Dunlap?  
    LOL -  40+ as I give away some as well. Also I have used some over the years in ABTs. I used to even snack on them on crackers!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    When it turns cold??  Whenever that is!
    Rains for days, yep.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    If you cook your beef then run it through a ninja or food processor it will be the same consistency 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Options
    RRP said:
    The most tedious part is breaking up the raw ground beef into tiny pieces. I have since read a hint in Cook’s Illustrated to use a pastry cutter which I believe will make the going much easier. 
    I've been using my wire potato masher:

I'm not worried about scratching the enamel in my pot with this, versus the sharp edges on a pastry cutter (not sure I even have one).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    Options
    If you cook your beef then run it through a ninja or food processor it will be the same consistency 
    If you noticed in the recipe all the spices are mix in the water up front and then   the beef is added and actually boiled in the water and the rendered fat. If all the beef was cooked first then it would just be one big 2+ pound hamburger patty and wouldn't have the full distribution of the spices IMO.
  • RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:
    I've been using my wire potato masher:

I'm not worried about scratching the enamel in my pot with this, versus the sharp edges on a pastry cutter (not sure I even have one).  
    I didn't have a pastry cutter this last batch either, but I just bought one. BTW I didn't plan to cut the beef in the pan, but on a cutting board before adding it to the water/spice mixture.
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    edited September 2020
    Options
    When reheating the pucks do you add anything or just microwave? Thanks.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I actually think a wood or bamboo spatula works best, sand it down so it’s less blunt if you’re comfortable working with wood.
  • RRP
    Options
    When reheating the pucks do you add anything or just microwave? Thanks.
    After thawed all I do is put the puck in a small glass custard dish and heat for 10 to 12 seconds.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    RRP said:
    If you noticed in the recipe all the spices are mix in the water up front and then   the beef is added and actually boiled in the water and the rendered fat. If all the beef was cooked first then it would just be one big 2+ pound hamburger patty and wouldn't have the full distribution of the spices IMO.
    That’s what I said. Make your chili then run it through a food processor. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Add some cinnamon and tomato and you have Cincinnati Chile, they put it on pasta, I prefer it on hot dogs. Great tip on the pucks to produce "lunch" size servings. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Options
    Add some cinnamon and tomato and you have Cincinnati Chile, they put it on pasta, I prefer it on hot dogs. 
    Skyline Chili put it on hot dogs too, their "Skyliners".  I know it's junk food, but damn I miss them.  

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great ideas here, Ron!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    These work great

Arlington, TX