Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Flu Shot OT

Yesterday Nolaegghead and I without coordinating both went to Walgreens (100 miles apart) and got our flu shots. When I was younger I wouldn't bother to do so very often. Well I am no longer younger and have to go tend to parents who are 86 and 90 every two to three weeks. It may not keep me from getting the flu but it may lessen the effects so that I don't have to go to the doctor's office or the emergency room. You know where people with an unnamed plague congregate. It was covered at no copay by my insurance and by the majority of health insurance policies including Medicare. Just a suggestion with out political bias attached.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    agree, will get one soon
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Get it every year, everyone in our house does. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have been getting the flu shot for the the better part of 40+ years (old you know) and have never had the flu.  But I also don't believe in getting sick so the flu is just a piece of the puzzle.  So far, so good. (Now likely jinxed.)  Getting the flu shot juice in around 3 weeks.  
    BTW- Back in July I signed up on the national registry to participate in the Covid vaccine trials-haven't been called yet.  Hope that statement and my status changes ASAP.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I Have to get mine this week
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Got my high dose senior flu shot last week. Wouldn't miss it for anything, especially this year.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    We usually get it every year also, it’s “free” at most pharmacies, including Costco.  But was wondering if needed, since we have mask on in public all the time, disinfect hands on each exit.  Will probably get it anyway.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Good post and a reminder to schedule one myself
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Got mime!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    never got one before, this will be the first year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    ColtsFan said:
    I Have to get mine this week
    Dude....you are one busy guy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Waiting until mid-late October, ensure I get end of season coverage.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    They're saying on the news right now, the shots aren't available yet, but it sounds like some of you have gotten them.  Fake news?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    They're saying on the news right now, the shots aren't available yet, but it sounds like some of you have gotten them.  Fake news?  
    Well when the pharmacy has a banner outside advertising it, I would say PMSnbc is right on their usual batting average. Of course maybe I got injected with tap water from Flint Michigan.
  • Botch said:

@Botch, I have seen them in the Costco's here in SLC for a few weeks now.  Maybe they aren't in Ogden yet, but worth a check there.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Took one every year whilst under the care of an oncologist. He made me get it. I’d always get the flu when I took it. Haven’t taken in probably 7-8 years. Wife and kids get them religiously. She always gets the flu (might’ve been Covid this year. Had an abnormal positive flu test). Anyways, this will be the year I resume taking one. Hopefully, I don’t get the flu 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    From the other side of the coin...I only had 1 flu shot in my life and that was 57 years ago and was mandatory my freshman year in college (back when they could make you do things LOL). Then my wife taught school for 37 years and never has had a single flu shot! We figure she was exposed to every known virus during that time and shared the bugs with me whereby we built up some form of immunity. BTW I have mentioned this to my doctor of 52 years just as recently as Tuesday and he likewise has never had a flu shot himself and speculates the same immunity from his exposures over the years. Maybe we are just lucky.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    The flu shot is not touted as something that will completely protect you from the flu, it lowers your risk and can make symptoms less severe than if you did not take it.

I’ve heard so many people claim they got sick with the flu FROM the flu shot which is not the case. It takes a couple weeks to kick in so getting the flu right after a flu shot is just bad luck. Sure people can have little reactions but some of that may also be placebo.

I am not a doctor but I listen to mine.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    i asked for one at my last dr visit a few weeks ago. they didn't have any yet. thx for the reminder.

Never had one until 2013 when I was hospitalized for open heart surgery. They said the last thing I wanted was the flu (or pneumonia) and pretty much forced them on me. Been doing it ever since.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cornholio said:
    The flu shot is not touted as something that will completely protect you from the flu, it lowers your risk and can make symptoms less severe than if you did not take it.

I’ve heard so many people claim they got sick with the flu FROM the flu shot which is not the case. It takes a couple weeks to kick in so getting the flu right after a flu shot is just bad luck. Sure people can have little reactions but some of that may also be placebo.

Which is why earlier is better than latter. Or the reason I started the thread. 
  • Legume
    The reasons for pushing early is to balance the challenges of getting as many people immunized as possible, to minimize the risk that people forget if they put it off, etc.  It’s hundreds of millions of people they want to immunize, you can’t do that in a month, so you start early and you ask people to go early.  Traditionally, people got their shots from their doctor during a visit.  Expansion to pharmacy, workplace, other forums where people can get their flu shot is all about getting the shot out to more people - because it’s harder and less common to just run to the doctor.  

Convenience = compliance.

But flu season peaks in Q1.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Cornholio said:

Which is why earlier is better than latter. Or the reason I started the thread. 
    My comment was focused on the complete naysayers. I get mine in September because of my compromised immune system, can’t wait for it to be in full swing and risk catching it before I have a chance to get the vaccine. I also get yearly TB tests and blood work done every few months. 

Some people seem to think that by avoiding the flu shot they are building up extra immunity, which was mentioned in this thread. 
  • Legume
    Agree.  Few have an excuse for not doing this.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    edited September 2020
    Publix pays me $10 to give me one every year. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Not being political. Not being boastful. Ive never had a shot and by the grace of God have never had the flu. Not by a doctors orders. Just have never had one and no plans to get one this year but thats just me.
    Im almost certain this gets turned into a political issue and I still wont give a ****.....
  • Legume
    Not being political. Not being boastful. Ive never had a shot and by the grace of God have never had the flu. Not by a doctors orders. Just have never had one and no plans to get one this year but thats just me.
    Im almost certain this gets turned into a political issue and I still wont give a ****.....
    Winner winner - your the first one to mention politics, ya clown.
  • I hope it doesn’t get trampled by a herd of enraged herbivores. I posted it specifically to get as many people vaccinated as possible. So I am not going into antivaxxers.
  • Legume said:
    Not being political. Not being boastful. Ive never had a shot and by the grace of God have never had the flu. Not by a doctors orders. Just have never had one and no plans to get one this year but thats just me.
    Winner winner - your the first one to mention politics, ya clown.

destined to be political here or your just not paying attention....