Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sauce Recs

dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,265
edited September 2020 in EggHead Forum
Sitting down to a pulled pork dinner, I tried to coax my 4yo to eat some pork by offering to get some BBQ sauce for him. My wife innocently chimed in that she didn't think we had any. She had thrown it all out. So, I'm looking to replenish our stock and interested in some new sauces. Please send your recs. Will be used on sandwiches, ribs, bribery for 4yo to eat meat, etc.

Have tried and liked:
Red Tail Ale BBQ
Rufus Teague
Stubbs
Arthur Bryants
Southern Gold
Blues Hog

Tried but not crazy about:
Sweet Baby Rays

Thanks.

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Try out Blues Hog sauce original. Your four year old will probably even like it. People have been known to eat it with ice cream. 

Blues Hog also has other great bbq sauces. Worth a try if you haven't tried it already. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Oops, ya, I've tried Blues Hog, let me update my list, thanks.

Mountain View, CA
  • WeberWho
    Sticky Pig bbq sauce is another favorite. It looks to be a couple locations to buy in California but appear to be way south of you. I'm not sure what shipping is like from Missouri. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Have you ever thought about making your own? You can find all kinds of good recipes online and narrow down the taste or flavor you guys might like. It's easy and tastes better than majority of the stuff you're buying off the shelf. 

Minnesota
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Not sure if the 4yo is at the stage yet, but for my g'daughters, just calling it "special ketchup" worked quite well.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2020
    Why not make some of your own? I have a couple favorite recipes and would  be glad to share them. I’m off to bed now, but will reply tomorrow.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Might be aa reach for your 4 year old, but "Night of the Living BBQ" is a family favorite,  Spicy and complex, not too sweet.  Not like much else, can find it on Amazon.
  • Bone Suckin Sauce is one of our favorites. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WeberWho said:
    Sticky Pig bbq sauce is another favorite. It looks to be a couple locations to buy in California but appear to be way south of you. I'm not sure what shipping is like from Missouri. 
    What a small world! Sticky Pig HQ is/was just 2 blocks from where I grew up in Centralia, MO. BTW the SP owner and Bill of Blue Hogs were team mates on the BQ circuit for years until they had a falling out. Given a blindfold test I doubt anybody can tell the difference between the two products! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    What a small world! Sticky Pig HQ is/was just 2 blocks from where I grew up in Centralia, MO. BTW the SP owner and Bill of Blue Hogs were team mates on the BQ circuit for years until they had a falling out. Given a blindfold test I doubt anybody can tell the difference between the two products! 
    That's interesting. I had no idea about the connections. They have a similar profile in taste. I wish it was available here in MN. I've grabbed it a few different times when down in Missouri. They do make some good bbq sauce. 

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Zuckerberg is a big sweet baby rays fan when he’s smoking those meats.

I add cider vinegar to almost any bottled sauce as most are just too sweet to me.
  • For my family I mix Blues Hog with Tennessee Red in an 85/15% proportion. Everyone likes it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Good 'ole KC Masterpiece Private Stock is what I would suggest for a 4 year old (I like it too). My local BJ's sells a 2-pack of 45oz bottles for just $6.50. I like the "private stock" as it uses real sugar not HFCS (which I try to avoid).

Save those fancier, $pendier sauces for Mom and Dad.

KC MPS is also a great base for modifying (with say, gochujang).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Kosmos Q Original Competition

Head Country Hot and Spicy

Head Country Original

Blues Hog Tennessee Red

Blues Hog Original mixed with Sriracha or Tennessee Red. IMHO, Blues Hog Original is way too sweet straight up.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Kosmos sauces are all good. Blues hog, Killer hogs and heath riles are excellent too. I think that Arthur B's is absolute hot garbage. IMHO, the worst sauce I have ever had, bar none.
  • OhioEgger said:
    For my family I mix Blues Hog with Tennessee Red in an 85/15% proportion. Everyone likes it.
    That's a ... very precise proportion.  How do you manage to get that in practice?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited September 2020
    @JohnInCarolina oh come on man ( my best Biden ) =) would not the 100% Blues  x .15 then add the .15 to the 100 Blues then  give you an 85/15 mix
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    @JohnInCarolina oh come on man ( my best Biden ) =) would not the 100% Blues  x .15 then add the .15 to the 100 Blues then  give you an 85/15 mix

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited September 2020
    lkapigian said:

RoR

Guess i've been doing my fat to lean meat ratios all wrong 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    I like Stubbs.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think you’re supposed to open 85 jars of Blues Hog and 15 bottles of Tennessee Jed and mix ‘em.
  • I’d have to agree with others...make your own. Also, are you looking for ketchup based, vinegar based, or mustard base? I made one this weekend from a recipe on here. Very different...with liquid smoke, kitchen bouquet, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, white sugar, vinegar, water, beef bouillon, etc as a base. Then you add chili powder, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes, etc., at your discretion for the heat. I thought it was great and my wife thought it was the best one I’ve ever made. Definitely making it again.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Legume said:
    I think you’re supposed to open 85 jars of Blues Hog and 15 bottles of Tennessee Jed and mix ‘em.
    You better get back........
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • This is from Myron Mixon. Sorry it's a bit blurry. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Try something different.  It's thin, vinegar based, hot, low-carb and very good!  You will still be able to taste the meat.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • OhioEgger said:
    For my family I mix Blues Hog with Tennessee Red in an 85/15% proportion. Everyone likes it.
    That's a ... very precise proportion.  How do you manage to get that in practice?
    Easy. I put my sauce container on the kitchen scale, set to read in grams.
    Pour in 150 g of Tennessee Red, then add Blues Hog until it reads 1,000 grams.
    Shake well to mix it up.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Sonny's is pretty good but not widely available.  Head Country also works.  Blues Hog is great.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    This is from Myron Mixon. Sorry it's a bit blurry. 

You had to go an start something didn't you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited September 2020
    The only thing my 5 year old likes is ranch, but my 2.5 year old likes this BBQ sauce.  It's not a sweet sauce.  https://warpigbbq.com/FUBAR-Elite-BBQ-Sauce-p108729305
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I do the Blue’s Hog Original and Tennessee Red mixed with equal ratio... try it also on wings and you can thank me later...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"