Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Size - Your Go To Egg

JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
I am interested in knowing that is your go to, favorite size Egg.

If yours got stolen would you replace it with the same size or switch sizes.

If you have more than one, which one would you keep if you were forced to sell all the others.

I understand family size has a lot to do with it, so let me know how many you usually cook for.

What is your favorite cook and does a certain size egg fit that cook better than another.

I have cooked on most and if my wife said sell all but one I would keep my XL, I can cook anything from a 22# brisket to a burger. If I could keep 2 the second would be the MiniMax (great for when I travel). 

I have been blessed with a wonderful/understanding wife so my collection has grown but I share the benefits of my cook with many. 

Happy weekend all, let me know your thoughts... 
Papa J
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    edited August 2020
    I had a medium for about 11 years and it did almost anything that I asked of it. This spring I bought Big Bertha the Large and I passed my medium down to my nephew so it isn’t neglected at all. 
    The Large has a greater choice of accessories available and I cooked 4 racks of St. Louis ribs at once. It all depends on your needs. Personally I have decided that I don’t need any larger than a Large or smaller than a medium.
    My most common cooks would be, pork loin, chicken, and turkey. Pork butts and briskets take too long and are bigger than I need. There are a lot less common cooks that I do, many of which I have posted.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I think the large is the best “all around use” egg. However the mini is my absolute favorite to use for things it will handle. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My Large sees 90% of my cooks. I ended up selling the XL as I found most of my cooks ended up in the Large.

My favorite is the Small. 

The Mini is fun but it doesn't see very many cooks. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    By far my favorite and most used is the small (only two people in my household).  However, if I could only have one, I would keep my large for the versatility. I like being able to put a large dutch oven in there, cooking multiple racks of ribs, 15 inch pizza stone, etc that the small cannot handle. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    way too many accessories for my large for me to change to any other size
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I have an XL, LARGE, Medium, Small and Mini. The Large is definitely my favorite. If I could only have one it would be the large. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • I have all the sizes, and if only one could be retained it would be the XL, or maybe in the 2XL. I can cook as small as I want in either, even with a grid of a mini over a Weber charcoal basket. Then I can scale up if needed too. The big boys don’t use a lot of fuel if you don’t light a lot of fuel. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    The xo small combo has been an amazing choice for me. I use the small more but couldn’t make due without a larger smoker. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    L, M, S and Mini here.
    Just 2 of us.
    My S is my go to and gets probably 70% of all my cooks and then my L. My M is my baking egg and has NEVER had meat in it and I don't even bake cakes very often anymore so it sits dormant months on end! The Mini - well - that is for camping and travel, but not doing much of that either LOL!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    I have a mini and a large.  Now that I'm an empty nester the mini is my go to.  However, when family comes over it's the large.  If I could only have one it'd have to be the large for the versatility 
  • I’ve only had a large and it has served my needs very well for 8 years.  Never thought about collecting any more or why I’d need another, but I find it interesting the number of folks on this site who have multiples. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I use my minimax 9 out of 10 cooks versus my large. The only time the large gets used now is when I am smoking something that won’t fit on the minimax.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• danlbrown said:
    I’ve only had a large and it has served my needs very well for 8 years.  Never thought about collecting any more or why I’d need another, but I find it interesting the number of folks on this site who have multiples. 
    I appreciate your resolve.  I bought a small maybe a month or less after buying a large.  

I cook as often as I can on the small without being creative about size constraints.  It’s is my go to for burgers and fish, but as others have said, the large is more versatile.  Plus I have a ton of accessories for the large.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    danlbrown said:
    I’ve only had a large and it has served my needs very well for 8 years.  Never thought about collecting any more or why I’d need another, but I find it interesting the number of folks on this site who have multiples. 
    Dan, just like malaria I guess..,that green bug bites you once and that green gets in your veins and taints the blood.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2 larges for 2 of us. Bake on one and whatever else on the other. I can cook for almost all the neighbor stuff. Anything more than that and I break out the Klose offset...
  • JMCXL
    Thanks for all the feedback, I find it interesting to see what people have, what they use and are happy with.
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    I have a large and a small.   As others have said, the large is the most versatile and I have a lot of accessories for it, but I love my small.  
  • I only have an XL at this point because we like to entertain and need enough room.  I'm planning to get a small, medium or Joe Jr for smaller cooks or quicker heat times.  Sometimes my kids eat what I am making and sometimes it's just my wife and me.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Woadie said:
    I have a large and a small.   As others have said, the large is the most versatile and I have a lot of accessories for it, but I love my small.  
    Same here.  Use the Large for precise cooks (SmoBot) and big cuts, Small for cheekun, sausages, and grilling.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Large and mini owner here. Obviously I'd go with the large. The mini has seen less action with the addition of the 28 inch blackstone, but every time I cook on it I ask myself why I don't more often. Large if only 1 egg though!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JMCXL
    fence0407 said:
    Large and mini owner here. Obviously I'd go with the large. The mini has seen less action with the addition of the 28 inch blackstone, but every time I cook on it I ask myself why I don't more often. Large if only 1 egg though!
    I am interested in hearing what you use the blackstone for and why. I don't use mine (12" i think). 
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    edited August 2020
    The only one I've got is a medium, and several times, I've wanted a large. Never had any desire for a smaller one, though. For reference, I live alone.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    XL. I recently discovered I have better thermal dynamic control using my XL than I do with my kitchen range. I do a lot of roasts, and meals for folks so the XL is a workhorse for me.

I have a Minimax we use for roadtrips and camping, and for short fast cooks.

Both have been awesome for me. Both would be replaced immediately if something happened. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Mine would be the XL. You can just do way more complete meals at once without worrying about room on the grill or having an adjustable rig. Cooking for four takes up a lot of room when doing the whole meal at once. I am just talking one level not multiple. I do use my adjustable rig too at times and man the room it adds is incredible.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• My favorite is my XL. That's because I only have an XL ... lol.

But if I had to choose again, I'd pick an XL ... having seen many cooks on a L that my buddy owns ... and that is great too, so don't get me wrong ... but I look at the L and think ... man that thing is small compared to my XL.

I'm all about real-estate ... and the XL provides it!  I mainly use the egg for big cooks anyhow, brisket, 4 to 6 rack ribs, rib roast, pork butt .... and I know you can do this stuff on a L ... but I just like having space, especially if you end up having to cook for 20 people.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • BGNMI
    BGNMI Posts: 20
    I started with a M. Did everything on it. I found, thermodynamically and real estate it was lacking. Ribs were a pain. I then debated L or XL. I got an XL.
    Everything comes out better because of thermal mass and real estate.

However, I use the the M for high temp grilling and low temp fish. Alot

I just got a L yesterday so I have 3 now. Smoking a whole turkey on it.

To answer your question. For smoking, pizzas, ribs, chicken. I love the XL.
    I think the L will be similar and will be fine for Steaks.

The M will be handed down to my Son.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Large and a mini max for me.  We are now empty nesters so the mini max gets 90% of the cooks.  Like those above, if I could only have one I would keep the large for versatility and space for larger cooks, but the mini max is my work horse.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    edited September 2020
    We (just 2 of us) have a LBGE which gets all the love!!  Also have a Weber Performer for the smaller quicker cooks.
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Agree with the earlier comments - we have a Large and a MiniMax for a family of four, and the MiniMax gets 3-4x as much use as the Large. May take a few more "batches" of food through it for a meal, but it makes up for it in its quick start-up, maintaining temps and versatility to change temps much more quickly than the Large.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    XL & a MiniMax for me. My go  to is the xl so I would keep that one. Just more versatile. Dont have to fill it, can stack the coals on one side and place meat on the other for indirect w/o using the plate setter. Smoking butts, ribs, etc.
    MM is great for small cooks. Only 2 of in the house
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m