Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Good Event Turned COVID Good

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842
The local TX A&M boosters typically have a BBQ cookout/gathering at this time of year.  Because a large gathering couldn’t be held, they took orders for drive through BBQ pickup. They also asked folks to buy some extra plates to be delivered to fire/EMS/healthcare workers. 

At this point we’re 75% done cooking and packaging 850 meals - about 400 of which are being delivered to local fire/EMS stations and hospitals.  

My job is “chicken breaker”.  I break coolers full of 1/2 chickens into their respective leg and breast quarters and put them in other coolers from which they are served.  

It’s a good way to spend a day after operating all night.  The pics aren’t very good, but they do prove that it happened.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Whoop! Well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Looks good. Hope it was fun.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    God bless you for your service. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Nice job!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Awesome! Good work, that I'm sure is much appreciated.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Many thanks to you and the rest of the boosters for stepping up.  Top marks for the community to funnel those servings to the front-line workers.  (And you are a big player there-so sneak a few bites... Well earned)  
    Stay healthy and safe-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    The local TX A&M boosters typically have a BBQ cookout/gathering at this time of year.  Because a large gathering couldn’t be held, they took orders for drive through BBQ pickup. They also asked folks to buy some extra plates to be delivered to fire/EMS/healthcare workers. 

At this point we’re 75% done cooking and packaging 850 meals - about 400 of which are being delivered to local fire/EMS stations and hospitals.  

My job is “chicken breaker”.  I break coolers full of 1/2 chickens into their respective leg and breast quarters and put them in other coolers from which they are served.  

It’s a good way to spend a day after operating all night.  The pics aren’t very good, but they do prove that it happened.  

You are a beast. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Not too bad for a bunch of SEC blokes...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Good on you for donating your time and efforts.
    Some time it would be interesting to hear the back story and the details on the cooker in middle picture.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind comments.

@dbCooper, here in San Antonio, the TX A&M alumni association owns a space along a creekbed with a large clubhouse for gathering and an industrial kitchen.  The grill is built in along the creekbed.  They cook raised direct on it.  They use a couple of charcoal chimneys in the area on the left side of the grill and keep a continuous supply of hot coals coming.  They load the coals in by lifting out a grate with food using some large hooks.  There is a way to clean the ash out the back with a shovel - which I supposed could be used to add coals if one had a good place/firepit  to get some going so they could be shoveled in.

I hope that helps.  I don't know any specific history on it... yet...

My daughter is the alum, so I'm not in the inner circle.  

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I guess it takes one to know one.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don’t care what the other clowns here say about you, you’re a good egg in my book. 

Seems like the organizers recognized your skill set, and tasked you accordingly. 

In all seriousness though, much respect. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks all for the kind comments.

@dbCooper, here in San Antonio, the TX A&M alumni association owns a space along a creekbed with a large clubhouse for gathering and an industrial kitchen.  The grill is built in along the creekbed.  They cook raised direct on it.  They use a couple of charcoal chimneys in the area on the left side of the grill and keep a continuous supply of hot coals coming.  They load the coals in by lifting out a grate with food using some large hooks.  There is a way to clean the ash out the back with a shovel - which I supposed could be used to add coals if one had a good place/firepit  to get some going so they could be shoveled in.

I hope that helps.  I don't know any specific history on it... yet...

My daughter is the alum, so I'm not in the inner circle.  

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I guess it takes one to know one.
    I can count the times I did surgery all night and then cooked for others the whole next day without rest on zero fingers. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Great work. And good to know you are using those day skills (ok perhaps night). 

I want to do an Aggie / Gamecock game in your neck of the country. Not sure this is the right year for it. Tee it up. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Thank you for doing!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thank you for being on the team making a difference.  Anything any of us can do right now for those out in front everyday, absolutely helps, and remminds all of us there is a helluva lot in our life we need not be concerned about, because they are there for us.

Great effort and so much respect, for such a noble effort.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky