Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

BlueStar

2456

Comments

  • The unsung hero is definitely the vent fan. Get the absolute most you can afford. You won't regret it, and without it you won't get full use of your range.
    This is the absolute truth.  We went with Wolf for our 36 inch range top, hood, and double wall ovens.  The amount of heat, alone, generated when using two or more burners necessitates a proper range hood to vent.  
    Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • I've had a 30" RNB for nine years now. I've have two problems with it. First the convection oven fan is noisy even after replacing with the redesigned one Blue Star gave me to replace the original.

    The other issue was an igniter attachment screw snapped off while trying to replace it so I had to drill out and retap the hole to attach the new igniter. Do NOT let pots boil over, besides the mess you can crack the igniters by shocking them.

    If they still offer the "white glove" set up with purchase take them up on the offer. It took a while for the guy to come from Denver (to SLC) but he adjusted each burner and leveled all of the grates along with showing me the easy way to level them as they do need to be leveled often.

    As for exhaust, I went with a 36" 600 CFM Vent-a-Hood and love the combination. I can cook bacon and not smell it in other rooms and the neighbors all know that we are eating well.
    Firing up the XL BGE in Salt Lake City
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 10,964
    Botch said:
    Today I took a drive to MountainLand Design in Salt Lake City, and looked at some BlueStars.  Nice place, cater to a higher clientele than the one I occupy.  Salesman showed me a couple, but they didn't have a "cooktop" style (drop into the counter) on display, just the ranges.  I told him I was interested, and he went to get some tech info for me.  
    He was gone a long time; I noticed that most of the folks walking around appeared to be interior designers, as they knew their way around, had rolled-up plans under their arms, and were constantly on the phone.  I fell in love with one of them.
    "Todd" finally came back with a couple sheets, and he pointed out that the BlueStars were much deeper than most, in fact when they tried to mount the cooktop into their "display" counter, it wouldn't fit, and that's why there wasn't one on display.  However, that unit was in their warehouse, and he showed it to me.  Because they had unboxed it was on Clearance, $2,700 down to $1,999.  Cha-Ching!  
    I took the measurements home, I have 5-1/8" distance between the bottom of my counter and the top of my cupboard door, and I needed 5" to fit the BlueStar, like it was designed to fit!  The cooktops also use a separate "wok burner" grate rather than the range design, but it is included (provided they haven't lost it, as sometimes happens with "open-box" sales).  Sent "Todd" my CC info and will be picking it up tomorrow.  
    A big shout-out to @alaskanassasin, @Thatgrimguy, @Legume, @womaus, @55Kevy, @pgar171, and @AprèsSki for their "encouragement"; thanks for spending all my money, ****!  :tongue:  ;)
     
    I also decided, "just in case", to visit my local appliance dealer to look at range hoods.  The ducting to my 9" fan is the same size, the hoods are between $1000 and $1,400, with installation between three and four hundred.  They also had a large hood that was up at ceiling level; this may be the option for me as I only have 8' ceilings (not like all you rich married guys) and I am 6'5".  I can swing the cost, especially since I was expecting the cost for the cooktop alone to be >$4,000 (I originally mis-read the website).  I'll try using the wok  without the range hood first; wok cooking is extremely quick and I'm only cooking for one.  Photos to follow, I'm pretty excited.  
     


    Scored a cooktop!  Nicely done.  Did you bring a designer home too?
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

    XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • womauswomaus Posts: 156
    Mark_B_Good said:
    Did you tape the joints?
    I did. Used the best quality tape I could find. Will be setting 3 rivets into each join also.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    Ozzie_Isaac said:Scored a cooktop!  Nicely done.  Did you bring a designer home too?
    Nope, just a couple upskirt photos, if I can figure out how to download them from Android... :lol:  
     
    (before any of you report me to the FBI, I'm kidding!)  :tongue:  
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 10,964
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:Scored a cooktop!  Nicely done.  Did you bring a designer home too?
    Nope, just a couple upskirt photos, if I can figure out how to download them from Android... :lol:  
     
    (before any of you report me to the FBI, I'm kidding!)  :tongue:  
    Hahaha!
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

    XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • Good on ya' Botch. I bought mine from Mountainland also, I think they are the only Blue Star dealer in Utah. The cooktop is the reason to get a Blue Star, my only complaint is the oven noise which you'll never have to hear. 

    You will want the hood, that wok burner gives off a LOT of heat.
    Firing up the XL BGE in Salt Lake City
  • smaksmak Posts: 189
    Looks like I'm late to the party. BlueStar range here as well. Love it.

    I did not get the griddle, but I recently picked up the Baking Steel Slim Griddle. That that fits nicely across 2 burners on the BlueStar.

    One note on the higher CFM fans... Some building codes require a make-up air vent to prevent creating a vacuum in the house.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • @botch well played sir! What cook top are you upgrading from?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 26,922
    Botch said:
    Today I took a drive to MountainLand Design in Salt Lake City, and looked at some BlueStars.  Nice place, cater to a higher clientele than the one I occupy.  Salesman showed me a couple, but they didn't have a "cooktop" style (drop into the counter) on display, just the ranges.  I told him I was interested, and he went to get some tech info for me.  
    He was gone a long time; I noticed that most of the folks walking around appeared to be interior designers, as they knew their way around, had rolled-up plans under their arms, and were constantly on the phone.  I fell in love with one of them.
    "Todd" finally came back with a couple sheets, and he pointed out that the BlueStars were much deeper than most, in fact when they tried to mount the cooktop into their "display" counter, it wouldn't fit, and that's why there wasn't one on display.  However, that unit was in their warehouse, and he showed it to me.  Because they had unboxed it was on Clearance, $2,700 down to $1,999.  Cha-Ching!  
    I took the measurements home, I have 5-1/8" distance between the bottom of my counter and the top of my cupboard door, and I needed 5" to fit the BlueStar, like it was designed to fit!  The cooktops also use a separate "wok burner" grate rather than the range design, but it is included (provided they haven't lost it, as sometimes happens with "open-box" sales).  Sent "Todd" my CC info and will be picking it up tomorrow.  
    A big shout-out to @alaskanassasin, @Thatgrimguy, @Legume, @womaus, @55Kevy, @pgar171, and @AprèsSki for their "encouragement"; thanks for spending all my money, ****!  :tongue:  ;)
     
    I also decided, "just in case", to visit my local appliance dealer to look at range hoods.  The ducting to my 9" fan is the same size, the hoods are between $1000 and $1,400, with installation between three and four hundred.  They also had a large hood that was up at ceiling level; this may be the option for me as I only have 8' ceilings (not like all you rich married guys) and I am 6'5".  I can swing the cost, especially since I was expecting the cost for the cooktop alone to be >$4,000 (I originally mis-read the website).  I'll try using the wok  without the range hood first; wok cooking is extremely quick and I'm only cooking for one.  Photos to follow, I'm pretty excited.  
     


    Scored a cooktop!  Nicely done.  Did you bring a designer home too?

    my wok burner is slightly smaller and i dont have a hood. cooking for one and my kitchen is well coated with oil, ceiling fan, walls, cabinets, windows etc. you want the hood and get the biggest you can install or it needs to be lowered, fans dont draw in air well.
    fukahwee maine

    you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,286
    Botch said:
    Today I took a drive to MountainLand Design in Salt Lake City, and looked at some BlueStars.  Nice place, cater to a higher clientele than the one I occupy.  Salesman showed me a couple, but they didn't have a "cooktop" style (drop into the counter) on display, just the ranges.  I told him I was interested, and he went to get some tech info for me.  
    He was gone a long time; I noticed that most of the folks walking around appeared to be interior designers, as they knew their way around, had rolled-up plans under their arms, and were constantly on the phone.  I fell in love with one of them.
    "Todd" finally came back with a couple sheets, and he pointed out that the BlueStars were much deeper than most, in fact when they tried to mount the cooktop into their "display" counter, it wouldn't fit, and that's why there wasn't one on display.  However, that unit was in their warehouse, and he showed it to me.  Because they had unboxed it was on Clearance, $2,700 down to $1,999.  Cha-Ching!  
    I took the measurements home, I have 5-1/8" distance between the bottom of my counter and the top of my cupboard door, and I needed 5" to fit the BlueStar, like it was designed to fit!  The cooktops also use a separate "wok burner" grate rather than the range design, but it is included (provided they haven't lost it, as sometimes happens with "open-box" sales).  Sent "Todd" my CC info and will be picking it up tomorrow.  
    A big shout-out to @alaskanassasin, @Thatgrimguy, @Legume, @womaus, @55Kevy, @pgar171, and @AprèsSki for their "encouragement"; thanks for spending all my money, ****!  :tongue:  ;)
     
    I also decided, "just in case", to visit my local appliance dealer to look at range hoods.  The ducting to my 9" fan is the same size, the hoods are between $1000 and $1,400, with installation between three and four hundred.  They also had a large hood that was up at ceiling level; this may be the option for me as I only have 8' ceilings (not like all you rich married guys) and I am 6'5".  I can swing the cost, especially since I was expecting the cost for the cooktop alone to be >$4,000 (I originally mis-read the website).  I'll try using the wok  without the range hood first; wok cooking is extremely quick and I'm only cooking for one.  Photos to follow, I'm pretty excited.  
     


    Scored a cooktop!  Nicely done.  Did you bring a designer home too?

    my wok burner is slightly smaller and i dont have a hood. cooking for one and my kitchen is well coated with oil, ceiling fan, walls, cabinets, windows etc. you want the hood and get the biggest you can install or it needs to be lowered, fans dont draw in air well.
    The amount of oil that vaporizes from any cooking is unreal. Everything I put on that stainless shelf gets covered in grease.
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 11,291
    Great score @Botch.  We have an older Fisher & Paykel cooktop that I’ll replace in the next year or so, but it sounds like we don’t have the depth for the blue star.  I was planning on looking at Bosch.  Need to replace the double wall ovens as well.  Ooof.  Just money.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    @botch well played sir! What cook top are you upgrading from?
    It's a "Creda", white with a glass top.  They had zero web presence when I last checked, but this morning learned they were bought out by "Indesit" and are sometimes being sold under the "Hotpoint" brand.  I checked several Parts sites/eBay, and no still couldn't find a wok grate for it.  
    "Todd" still hasn't called me back, was hoping to pick it up this morning.    
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 26,922
    Botch said:
    Today I took a drive to MountainLand Design in Salt Lake City, and looked at some BlueStars.  Nice place, cater to a higher clientele than the one I occupy.  Salesman showed me a couple, but they didn't have a "cooktop" style (drop into the counter) on display, just the ranges.  I told him I was interested, and he went to get some tech info for me.  
    He was gone a long time; I noticed that most of the folks walking around appeared to be interior designers, as they knew their way around, had rolled-up plans under their arms, and were constantly on the phone.  I fell in love with one of them.
    "Todd" finally came back with a couple sheets, and he pointed out that the BlueStars were much deeper than most, in fact when they tried to mount the cooktop into their "display" counter, it wouldn't fit, and that's why there wasn't one on display.  However, that unit was in their warehouse, and he showed it to me.  Because they had unboxed it was on Clearance, $2,700 down to $1,999.  Cha-Ching!  
    I took the measurements home, I have 5-1/8" distance between the bottom of my counter and the top of my cupboard door, and I needed 5" to fit the BlueStar, like it was designed to fit!  The cooktops also use a separate "wok burner" grate rather than the range design, but it is included (provided they haven't lost it, as sometimes happens with "open-box" sales).  Sent "Todd" my CC info and will be picking it up tomorrow.  
    A big shout-out to @alaskanassasin, @Thatgrimguy, @Legume, @womaus, @55Kevy, @pgar171, and @AprèsSki for their "encouragement"; thanks for spending all my money, ****!  :tongue:  ;)
     
    I also decided, "just in case", to visit my local appliance dealer to look at range hoods.  The ducting to my 9" fan is the same size, the hoods are between $1000 and $1,400, with installation between three and four hundred.  They also had a large hood that was up at ceiling level; this may be the option for me as I only have 8' ceilings (not like all you rich married guys) and I am 6'5".  I can swing the cost, especially since I was expecting the cost for the cooktop alone to be >$4,000 (I originally mis-read the website).  I'll try using the wok  without the range hood first; wok cooking is extremely quick and I'm only cooking for one.  Photos to follow, I'm pretty excited.  
     


    Scored a cooktop!  Nicely done.  Did you bring a designer home too?

    my wok burner is slightly smaller and i dont have a hood. cooking for one and my kitchen is well coated with oil, ceiling fan, walls, cabinets, windows etc. you want the hood and get the biggest you can install or it needs to be lowered, fans dont draw in air well.
    The amount of oil that vaporizes from any cooking is unreal. Everything I put on that stainless shelf gets covered in grease.

    i scorched some really hot peppers in that vaporized oil once and couldnt inhale deeply for days, just for that reason alone you want a hood
    fukahwee maine

    you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    edited August 2020
    "Todd" finally called me at 7, er, 1900 last night (they close at 5 1700), I guess a busy day for him.  I digitally signed the BoS, and he told me, heh, they couldn't find one knob, nor the wok ring.  They've ordered them and will be delivered to my place.  
    Picked it up today, They had found the wok ring.  And it's heavy!  I also walked around Mountainland Design, the place is huge!  I looked at all the range hoods on display, and noticed just about every single one had sharp, 90º corners on them, all at my eye/forehead level.  None of them looked height-adjustable, either.  Yesterday when I priced a few at an Ogden place, I noticed a couple that were flush-mounted to the ceiling (didn't get the prices).
     
    My question is, does anyone here have experience with a flush-mounted hood?  I know its a bit further away from the cooktop, but I'm 6'5" and my ceiling 8', so it'd only be an extra 20" or so.   
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 3,362
    Botch said:
    "Todd" finally called me at 7, er, 1900 last night (they close at 5 1700), I guess a busy day for him.  I digitally signed the BoS, and he told me, heh, they couldn't find one knob, nor the wok ring.  They've ordered them and will be delivered to my place.  
    Picked it up today, They had found the wok ring.  And it's heavy!  I also walked around Mountainland Design, the place is huge!  I looked at all the range hoods on display, and noticed just about every single one had sharp, 90º corners on them, all at my eye/forehead level.  None of them looked height-adjustable, either.  Yesterday when I priced a few at an Ogden place, I noticed a couple that were flush-mounted to the ceiling (didn't get the prices).
     
    My question is, does anyone here have experience with a flush-mounted hood?  I know its a bit further away from the cooktop, but I'm 6'5" and my ceiling 8', so it'd only be an extra 20" or so.   

    To answer your question, no, but I'm 5'9, and our hood is considerably higher than my head (12 foot ceilings) and it's fine.
    NOLA
  • Trying to keep up with you @botch I ordered the 30” range today 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    edited August 2020
    Trying to keep up with you @botch I ordered the 30” range today 
    Woohoo, Congrats!  :triumph:  
     
    EDIT:  ...and I guess I kinda hijacked your thread, I'm sorry!  
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • By all means take the keys to the thread! I was leaning pretty hard on the BlueStar and thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for the reviews.

    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    >B-U-M-P<
     
    After our windstorm, my power was out 2 and a half days (lost my bushel of Hatch green chile! :cry: ).  An hour after power was restored, the phone rang and the cooktop installer told me he'd be there in 20 minutes; without power I didn't have my calendar, forgot about it!  They did have to enlarge the hole in the counter, but otherwise it went smoothly.  
     
    Installer gave me an estimate of $350 to install the range hood, but he couldn't add the exhaust on the roof as he wasn't insured.  He recommended a place called My-Ty who could do both; they're the guys I called first and they wouldn't return my phone calls.  So I won't be wokking for awhile, yet...
     
    Wow, I'm gonna have to learn how to cook, all over again.  Made bacon-n-eggs for breakfast this morning, using the "Simmer" burner, and still crisped up the bacon too much.  This thing puts off some heat (and that was the small burner).  Will post pics when the hood is up.  
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,286
    edited September 2020
    Botch said:
    >B-U-M-P<
     
    After our windstorm, my power was out 2 and a half days (lost my bushel of Hatch green chile! :cry: ).  An hour after power was restored, the phone rang and the cooktop installer told me he'd be there in 20 minutes; without power I didn't have my calendar, forgot about it!  They did have to enlarge the hole in the counter, but otherwise it went smoothly.  
     
    Installer gave me an estimate of $350 to install the range hood, but he couldn't add the exhaust on the roof as he wasn't insured.  He recommended a place called My-Ty who could do both; they're the guys I called first and they wouldn't return my phone calls.  So I won't be wokking for awhile, yet...
     
    Wow, I'm gonna have to learn how to cook, all over again.  Made bacon-n-eggs for breakfast this morning, using the "Simmer" burner, and still crisped up the bacon too much.  This thing puts off some heat (and that was the small burner).  Will post pics when the hood is up.  
    get a couple of these, Simmer Plate (amazon link). They are very very handy.   
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    :lol: I just threw mine away, on Thursday, because I now have a simmer burner!  Nah, it's just me learning the new system; I could've turned it down further, I just eyeballed where I normally had it with the old cooktop.  I'll figure it out.  
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 10,964
    Botch said:
    >B-U-M-P<
     
    After our windstorm, my power was out 2 and a half days (lost my bushel of Hatch green chile! :cry: ).  An hour after power was restored, the phone rang and the cooktop installer told me he'd be there in 20 minutes; without power I didn't have my calendar, forgot about it!  They did have to enlarge the hole in the counter, but otherwise it went smoothly.  
     
    Installer gave me an estimate of $350 to install the range hood, but he couldn't add the exhaust on the roof as he wasn't insured.  He recommended a place called My-Ty who could do both; they're the guys I called first and they wouldn't return my phone calls.  So I won't be wokking for awhile, yet...
     
    Wow, I'm gonna have to learn how to cook, all over again.  Made bacon-n-eggs for breakfast this morning, using the "Simmer" burner, and still crisped up the bacon too much.  This thing puts off some heat (and that was the small burner).  Will post pics when the hood is up.  
    BlueStar is hopefully in my future, so I do not have direct advice for what burner to use when 9n your unit.  However, for my current gas range, I use a little standoff rack to get some more distance between the pans and the burner for more delicate cooks.  Also using a thicker pan with more thermal mass helps a lot too.  I mostly use cast iron or All-Clad.  I find I have most problems when using thinner cheap pans or the flavor of the month non-stick infomercial pans.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

    XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • Botch said:
    :lol: I just threw mine away, on Thursday, because I now have a simmer burner!  Nah, it's just me learning the new system; I could've turned it down further, I just eyeballed where I normally had it with the old cooktop.  I'll figure it out.  
    The simmer burner runs too hot for me on low. But I’ve never adjusted the flame which I understand you can do.
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria
  • smaksmak Posts: 189
    Thatgrimguy said:
    The simmer burner runs too hot for me on low. But I’ve never adjusted the flame which I understand you can do.
    Setting the "low" flame is pretty straight forward. You just need some pliers and a 1/8" screwdriver.

    Video here:


    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,286
    edited September 2020
    I love this forum. 
    Thank you @smak
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 10,964
    edited September 2020
    Ok, well I am investigating a kitchen remodel.  I can easily fit a 30" BlueStar range, with some major rework, I could fit a 36".  I would need to redo cabinets, lose storage, and change a fair bit around.  Is the 36" worth the extra effort?  In a perfect world, I would get a 48", but I don't have @SGH type money.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

    XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,828
    At breakfast this morning I discovered my high-BTU burner could also hit Simmer levels (was thinking for whatever reason that wasn't possible).  This makes my cooking logistics SO much easier!
     
    Now if I could just find a willing range hood installer.... it's been almost a month now.   :|
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.