Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Elotes Pizza

Basically Mexican street corn, but on top of a pizza.  I followed the recipe at Gozney, here:

https://us.gozney.com/blogs/recipes/elotes-pizza-recipe

but there are a bunch on the intertubes.  I used some frozen sour dough I had left over, so the crust didn’t cook as well as it normally does for me, but this still came out great.

Pretty creamy, and great flavor.  This is vegetarian but it doesn’t feel like it somehow. 

My post is OT since I did this on a Roccbox, but you could easily do this on a BGE.  Give it a try sometime if you’ve got a wild hair for something different!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    now you’re talkin! Bravo John!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited July 2020
    Pizzas are a great platform for a lot of different flavor profiles. I will have to try this because I love corn. I’m thinking roasted green chilies would be great on that pie. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    SciAggie said:

I’m thinking roasted green chilies would be great on that pie. 

Most definitely!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I love corn, this looks very good!

I made a batch of dough with about 10% masa harina a couple of weeks ago, I think it would work well with corn.

@paqman Speak more of this mass infused pizza dough goodness. You have my full attention...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I'd hit it.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    And, we can talk about the corn next Friday night!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    dmchicago said:
    Wouldn't using blue corn be better for that discussion?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    HeavyG said:
    dmchicago said:
    Wouldn't using blue corn be better for that discussion?
    I have blue corn. Stay tuned. 
    Back to the masa...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    SciAggie said:
    @paqman Speak more of this mass infused pizza dough goodness. You have my full attention...
    @SciAggie I had leftover taco meat and I did not feel like eating tacos for a 3rd day in a row so I figured it would be good on pizza and stumbled upon the bag of masa harina...

Made the dough with:
    90% Caputo Nuvola Super
    10% Bob’s red mill organic Masa Harina
    65% water
    3% salt
    0.1% Instant Yeast (IDY)
    14 hours room temperature fermentation.

I usually do 3 (210g) dough balls at a time so that translates to:
    450g Nuvola Super
    59g masa harina
    325g water
    15g salt
    0.5g IDY

The Nuvola Super usually gives a super airy dough so it helps counter balance the masa harina but even at 10% the dough is heavier than a “regular” dough. I bake lower than I usually do because of the masa harina (I would guess 750F floor temp).

I used that dough for taco and fajita pizza but I think it would be really good with corn and this recipe.

Thanks @paqman That seems like a pretty standard dough recipe except for substituting dried masa for the whole grain. I am definitely trying this. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    paqman said:
    SciAggie said:
    @SciAggie I had leftover taco meat and I did not feel like eating tacos for a 3rd day in a row so I figured it would be good on pizza and stumbled upon the bag of masa harina...

Made the dough with:
    90% Caputo Nuvola Super
    65% water
    3% salt
    0.1% Instant Yeast (IDY)

450g Nuvola Super
    59g masa harina
    325g water
    15g salt
    0.5g IDY

The Nuvola Super usually gives a super airy dough so it helps counter balance the masa harina but even at 10% the dough is heavier than a “regular” dough. I bake lower than I usually do because of the masa harina (I would guess 750F floor temp).

I used that dough for taco and fajita pizza but I think it would be really good with corn and this recipe.

One of the things I've come to appreciate with making pizza dough, is how 10% of just about anything that is not 00 can make a tremendous difference.  

90% caputo blue with 10% whole wheat is an entirely different beast from a 100% caputo dough, even at the same hydration and salt levels.  It handles very differently and cooks up differently.  
  • paqman
    SciAggie said:
    Thanks @paqman That seems like a pretty standard dough recipe except for substituting dried masa for the whole grain. I am definitely trying this. 
    It is a standard recipe but the masa harina has no gluten so it results in a heavy but tasty dough (which can be good for some types of pizza).

I love corn and I get it fresh from the farm every day in August, this is definitely going on my to do list.

paqman said:
    SciAggie said:

Made the dough with:
    90% Caputo Nuvola Super
    65% water
    3% salt
    0.1% Instant Yeast (IDY)

450g Nuvola Super
    59g masa harina
    325g water
    15g salt
    0.5g IDY

One of the things I've come to appreciate with making pizza dough, is how 10% of just about anything that is not 00 can make a tremendous difference.  

90% caputo blue with 10% whole wheat is an entirely different beast from a 100% caputo dough, even at the same hydration and salt levels.  It handles very differently and cooks up differently.  
    Oh, yes, and with masa harina, I think you could probably go as low as 5% and still get the taste.

I love elotes. I love pizza. I must DOUBLE love elotes pizza! 

Nice pie, JIC. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Wow, that looks amazing! 
    Durham, NC
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    You are the Pizza Man...
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• paqman
    What kind of corn did you use (canned, frozen, fresh)?

paqman said:
    Fresh only sir!  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Great looking pizza John.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman said:
    Fresh only sir!  
    Damn, it is not in season here yet, a couple more weeks to wait I guess.  Do you precook before putting on the pizza?

I love corn and love pizza... but I'm having trouble picturing the two together. I love peas too, but I made a pizza with peas once. Meh...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    I love corn and love pizza... but I'm having trouble picturing the two together. 
    It’s true this is not a pizza that’s well-suited to people who lack imagination.
  • JohnInCarolina
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    Fresh only sir!  
    Damn, it is not in season here yet, a couple more weeks to wait I guess.  Do you precook before putting on the pizza?
    No pre-cook.  900 degrees takes care of it pretty quickly.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I love corn and love pizza... but I'm having trouble picturing the two together. 
    It’s true this is not a pizza that’s well-suited to people who lack imagination.
    Cute

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    dmchicago said:
    Sounds like a perfect topic.  If you eat blue corn, does that result in blue poop? @caliking 😂

Great looking pizza
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    paqman said:
    dmchicago said:
    Sounds like a perfect topic.  If you eat blue corn, does that result in blue poop? @caliking 😂
    Corn in any of the rainbow's colors is a pretty good indicator of....uhhh....nevermind.