Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Elotes Pizza

Options
2»

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that looks so damned good.

i don't fault you for using a dedicated pizza cooker.  by the time i get the egg up to temp and stabilized, and figure out what temperature to cook at for my dough and topping thickness, i'm on my 3rd or 4th pizza and everything's a godawful mess.  you seem to get a lot of use out of that roccbox, maybe i should look in to one.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    Well... fresh, somewhat local, corn is finally in season here.  I used fresh cream instead of sour cream (it is similar). I did not have a squeeze bottle for the mayo so I did a sloppy spreading job but it was homemade mayo so all good in the end (more is better with homemade mayo 😂).  SWMBO said that it needed some bacon so I obliged on our last slice.  That was pretty damn good!!!  I will do this again maybe adding some shallots.

Options
    @paqman - nice!  Your crust looks great.  What are you using for a dough recipe these days?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    Options
    @paqman - nice!  Your crust looks great.  What are you using for a dough recipe these days?
    For 5 x 210 grams dough balls:
    313 grams Caputo Nuvola Super
    313 grams Caputo 00 red bag
    406 grams RT water
    19 grams salt
    0.66 grams IDY (instant yeast)

-Mixed everything in the KitchenAid for about 10 minutes
    -Transferred to a large oiled and covered container
    -12 hours bulk fermentation at RT
    -Divided in the dough in 5x210g pieces
    -Shaped in balls and placed in oiled deli containers
    -Let the dough that I used today continue to ferment at room temperature for 3 more hours
    -Moved the rest of the dough in the fridge. It will be best in 2-3 days
    -Take out the dough to be used 3 hours before baking

I play a lot with mixing different flours but I kind settled on 50/50 Nuvola Super/00.

I also got some fancy yeast from Italy but I am having a hard time predicting how long it will take to rise.  It has a mind of its own so I stick to IDY when I am on a timeline.

Options
    @paqman - I like it.  

I've never tried the Caputo red, always just the blue.  
  • paqman
    Options
    @paqman - I like it.  

I've never tried the Caputo red, always just the blue.  
    I’ve had good results with both but the blue bag is better suited for shorter fermentations.  The Nuvola super is supposed to be used as a base for poolish.  They also make plain Nuvola but the super is a good match with the red bag.  There is a big difference in taste after 2-3 days in the fridge but it is always good 😂

Options
    I just noticed there is “extra” protein in the slice shot 😂

Options
    paqman said:
    I saw that! Shiney green house fly enjoying the pie!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,059
    Options
    paqman said:
    Yeah, I didn't want to mention that.  Obviously they liked it too!
  • paqman
    Options
    It was so good, I made another one tonight.  This time I used black garlic in the crème fraîche.  

Made a paste with the black garlic and then mixed it in the crème fraîche, this stuff is like candy:

Topped with fresh raw corn, parmesan, and french shallot.  Then one I made for lunch was made with pre-cooked fresh corn.  The texture of the pre-cooked was better but the fresh taste of the raw corn added a depth of flavor.  I’ll probably try a mix of both next time.

No friend this time 😂

Options
    @paqman - dude, you’re killing me.  That looks incredible.
  • paqman
    Options
    @paqman - dude, you’re killing me.  That looks incredible.
    I’ve been planning this ever since you posted it.  I just wanted to be sure it was good enough before using the black garlic and it did not disappoint!