Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THIS DUCK????

So, my fiancée (who runs a personal cooking account on Instagram as a hobby) and I received a large shipment of frozen, raw duck products from a friend/fan who owns a duck farm that supplies nationally. We're talking skin-on duck breasts, leg & thigh samples, already-smoked breast flats (skin-on), a whole duck, a 1-gallon bucket of rendered duck fat, duck bacon, chub ground duck, duck bacon & corn wontons, duck wing drummettes...look, the point is that we have a TON of duck to cook. What are the best methods?
Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Best Answers

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Answer ✓
    Dondgc said:
    Duck poppers. Duck gumbo. Seared duck breasts. Don’t overcook it. 
    Yep. And Cassoulet.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Answer ✓

Answers

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    I have no real idea but lucky you. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    I have no ducking clue.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • For the record, we tried pan-seared duck breast tonight. Scored the skin and soaked them for 24 hours in a marinade of brewed coffee, orange juice/peel, fennel and cumin seeds. Then, in a pan over medium-low heat, seared the breasts skin-side down for 10 minutes, flipped and let them cook another 7 minutes. I allowed one to reach 135F internally, while the other one reached 155F, before pulling them both and allowing them to rest.

Not sure if it's the way the skin chews or if it's just so fatty that it needs more time to crisp up / fat to render, etc. or if I'm just missing out on something here, but I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of duck breast. SOS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Duck prosciutto
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I would love to try making my own duck prosciutto but I lack the temperature/humidity control tools at the moment.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Too much for one domicile; I'll gladly pay shipping for the gallon of rendered duck fat, and even throw in a Christmas card in six months!   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Confit... That's what all the duck fat is good for...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Gumbo

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If you have a Sous Vide serious eats has a good recipe for SV skin on duck breast 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Calbbqer
    Calbbqer Posts: 69

I did a whole duck from Costco a few weeks ago using Malcom Reed’s recipe and it turned out great. The potatoes below cooked in the duck drippings. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Oh my!  You lucky duck!  Amazing meat when treated properly.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Id be glad to be in your predicament