Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cwackers

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I never cooked a duck or duck parts of any kind so please bear with me. I had this idea a while ago but couldn’t get it together until today. Basically cwackers are crispy squares of smoke rendered & seasoned duck skin, kind of like an un-fried cracklin. I used these as a topping for discs of smoked duck thinnies.

Beer was served.

begin with a duck

003.jpg

unwrap

004.jpg

remove the skin

005.jpg

de-meat the bird & grind with some pork fat (ok bacon), salt & pepper

007.jpg

roll into thinnies & into the fridge

009.jpg

take the skin

006.jpg

cut into squares

010.jpg

refrigerate overnight exposed to the air to dry out, then season & sandwich between two pizza grids & to the egg to render all the fat leaving behind the finished ‘cwacker’:

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

add the thinnies to the top of the grid to smoke, also adds some weight to keep the cwackers flat:

012.jpg

I went with about 300 (not sure how that beer got in the picture :ermm: :huh: ):

014.jpg

about 45 minutes later:

017.jpg

016.jpg

had a few extras so I deep fried them in veggie oil to make cwacklins:

008.jpg

011.jpg

slice down the thinnies & top with the cwackers & cwacklins (the cwackers were actually much better, light as air, crispy, completely de-fatted just like a real cracklin, just delicious):

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

After I ate a few, I couldn’t help think it tasted like a really good chicken wing with simply perfect skin, so I thought maybe a small dollop of blue cheese & a shake of Tsunami Spin would be in order, did this for the second half of the batch:

023.jpg

please enjoy a finely remade lullaby as you contemplate just exactly what it is you’re doing :blink: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmRODBzHyw
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• I'll never make confit again! That is creative as all get out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    That whole thing is simply amazing. Gotta say it is very creative and sounds delicious. Where did you dream this one up? :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :ermm: :huh: :S :unsure: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :S :huh: :ermm:

Marc your planet just called and they need you back :whistle:

Amazing buddy
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    WOW that looks wonderfully good, how long did the cook take? If it only took 45 minutes to render the fat I need a Duck :)
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Beer looks good!! :laugh: :lol:
    Awesome creativity, as usual!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ok. Marc, as always, I love your cooks! Very inspiring and they always look delicious.

However, I have a few questions!! :)

First, what's the difference between a "Genuine" duckling and a fake one?

Second, who drinks beer when it's so cold you have to wear gloves?

Third, man, do you ever cook, like, plain old steaks or spatch'd chicken or the like? Or do you cook those things, but just don't bother posting them (which is, of course, the obvious answer). :laugh:

Fourth, how is it you weigh 145 lbs?!!!

Thanks for hangin' around, my friend - love your posts!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Michael, in the order you asked:

1) I don't know;

2) besides me, canadian dwarfs;

3) Yes & no, I rarely eat steak, whole chickens, ribs, butts & the like, more likely I'll make chicken parts, fish, & a lot of pasta. Most of what I cook is run of the mill stuff, not post-worthy;

4) I exercise twice a day & eat a lot of nuts, cereal, granola, fruit, yogurt & the like, despite what you see here I don't eat pizza & fried stuff 7 days a week.

And thanks, Marc
    happy in the hut
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Holy Cow! What an incredible looking cook. Hard to believe you've never cooked duck before.
  • Zippylip
    Pat, I was thrown outa that place & asked very nicely to never return :ermm: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    canadian dwarfs drink beer? do we know any canadian dwarfs? :blink: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OMG,OMG!!! I'm feelin the love! Really can't wait to try this. Thanks and Merry, merry.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    ground duck and bacon rolled up and smoked? wow, man, just I thought your ideas couldn't get any more lame.....

(jealousy is an ugly beeotch, ain't it)
  • Looks like a winner! Our new partner is a duck hunter, maybe I can bum a duck off of him!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Love the concept! You always do such a great job Marc!
  • A nice try for your first time, Marc. Practice up a bit and I will be waiting for your next duck post!!
    WOW!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini