Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally broke 80

SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
This isn’t even cooking related.  It’s doubly off-topic.  But I am telling everyone I know.  This forum allows me to tell people I don’t know, as well.  

I broke 80 today on a legit golf course.  I went 42/37 and finished with a six foot downhill putt for birdie to clinch it.  

I was on the bogey/three putt train for three holes and somehow managed to finish par-birdie.  

If you were within a six mile radius of Omaha, you may have heard me shouting.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Congrats on achieving quite a personal victory.  Impressive finish wilh all riding on that putt. 
    I got my a$$ kicked by that game for the better part of 50 years (old here and started young) but declared victory around 9 years ago and walked away.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Not sure the committee can accept a scorecard that has not been attested, but I will. Congrats on the nice round!
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Congrats! That’s a huge mental barrier. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Nice job, Salty. You started off in the sh!t. Good recovery!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    dmchicago said:
    Nice job, Salty. You started off in the sh!t. Good recovery!
    Over the years some of my best rounds started out like crap. Mentally I kinda let go and before you know it you are stringing together pars with a few birdies and BAM! Great round! Golf is incredibly difficult, mentally. 
  • Great job.  I never keep score, the way I play what's the point
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SaltySam
    A couple things to add.  I am officially a 13 handicap. I just joined a new club, and it’s bananas hard to putt there so I’ve jumped a bit lately.  I’m probably closer to an 11.  This is lights out for me.

Also, my friend Jason (whom I’ve never beat) is a 3.  He can attest for my score!  Sadly, he shot a 77...if only for those three bogeys.  

Still on cloud nine! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Congrats! I'm a life long golfer who will likely never see a sub 80 round again. My son, who is scratch, was invited to play Oakmont last week. He said it was by far the hardest course he's played, and that includes most of the majors. Greens were lightning fast with lots of undulations. 8 players with the highest handicap a 4, over 36 holes, and only 1 broke 80. 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Way to bring it home!!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2020
    Congrats. Funny you mention Omaha. I believe ten years ago today, is the day they closed Rosenblatt. My boys took the Natty. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I dunno - looks like 4 changed to 3 on 5...  😊  Congratulations- something I’ve never done.  Oh, wait...here’s my card from Father’s Day...

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I used to live in Omaha and a played a few courses(not many), which one was this on?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SaltySam
    @loco_engr It’s the base course for Offutt.  It’s called Willow Lakes.  Incredibly, my ball found none of them. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    @SaltySam....congrats on the good score.  I played a couple courses in Omaha when my son was in Creighton.  Nice well maintained golf courses.  Good luck with lowering that handicap.  It’s a lifelong game that many will never be good at.
  • SaltySam
    Congrats. Funny you mention Omaha. I believe ten years ago today, is the day they closed Rosenblatt. My boys took the Natty. 
    Offutt AFB hosts a team from the CWS each year.  The team comes on base, gets a tour of the facilities, sees the jets up close and then has lunch with several airmen and their families.  That year Offutt hosted the Gamecocks. It was extra special when they took home the championship.  The outfield bleachers are full of locals (Offutt airmen included) who stand in line for hours for general admission seats.  I remember them being a crowd favorite.  

It was crushing to have the CWS canceled this year. What a blast.  If your boys make it up here again next year, give me a shout!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    my dad worked at Offutt late 60’s. I was too young to remember much. But I am a lifelong golfer and busting 80 is a landmark event - congrats! 

Fairways and greens!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I have broken 80 on several occasions. . . Oh I see you played all 18!  Well Done!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I only keep score on the holes I do good. I got my butt kicked last week but at least it was a beautiful golf course.  Congratulations!!!! 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Nicely done! I hope soon I can do the same. I'm a similar handicap as you - so there's hope!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JohnnyArms
    JohnnyArms Posts: 38
    That’s the best. Keep the momentum going. Great score. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Great job. Closest I've come is 84 and that was back when I was playing a couple times a week. Now I'm lucky to get a round in once a month. 

@g37 we need to see more cooks coming from that Komodo Kamodo
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited July 2020
    @SaltySam... jump on Golf WRX forum if you want to improve your game.   Lots of nice “friendly” golfers hang out there, with zero “issues” to put up with. Very helpful, caring crowd of people hang out on WRX.  And they have a good classifieds section, as well as the “19th” hole for politics and non-golf issues. Zero drama and none of Nola’s lame troll postings to deal with. Check it out!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Congrats and great accomplishment.  The first time I had a real opportunity to break 80, I was on the tee on 17.  Just needed bogey, bogey for 79 (on a legit par 72). Ended up in a green side bunker on 17 and things got ugly. Left it in the bunker, then over the green and tripled 17.  It’s funny - of all the rounds of golf I have played In my life, I remember every shot on that hole more than any other. I did get over it and improved from there, but will never forget that blowup on 17 that day. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @SaltySam....congrats on the good score.  I played a couple courses in Omaha when my son was in Creighton.  Nice well maintained golf courses.  Good luck with lowering that handicap.  It’s a lifelong game that many will never be good at.
    @littlerascal56 don’t give up on yourself so easily. With a little hard work and determination I think you will see your score cards improve.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Congrats on busting 80!
    Like others I've played for years then took a job that left no time to play for 13-14 years. Two years ago I jumped back in and now play 27-36 four to five days a week.
    I was a low 80's.
    Not now though, just having fun and burning daylight!!
    I see a 75 in your future!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Great moment of achievement right there. I do not blame you for the celebration and the sharing of such good fortune.

It is a mental game built on confidence. I played for years, and miss it dearly. 

Since age and injury has caught me, I decided to step away, only after self realization and understanding the flaw in my game: I remained to close to the ball, after striking it.

I have a $2500.00 set of Calloway's sitting in the basement, including the Volkswagon on a stick. Trying to get my children to play them, but, just not into the game.

Great news, great post, thank you for sharing and best of luck in future rounds.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    @SaltySam... jump on Golf WRX forum if you want to improve your game.   Lots of nice “friendly” golfers hang out there, with zero “issues” to put up with. Very helpful, caring crowd of people hang out on WRX.  And they have a good classifieds section, as well as the “19th” hole for politics and non-golf issues. Zero drama and none of Nola’s lame troll postings to deal with. Check it out!
    Uh huh.  Are you as clueless on that forum as you are on this one?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Congratulations! I used to be ok at golf when I played on my college team for a couple of seasons (law school and a kid stole whatever skill I had) and can tell you what jumped out at me most in your recounting of the accomplishment: that you "SOMEHOW" managed to finish par-birdie after your slow start. 

As an 11-13 handicap, you are capable of making par or birdie on every hole out there. Letting go of the prior hole, shot, etc. will free you up to give yourself a shot to make a par or birdie on the next. When I step on the tee now, I know I'm as likely to birdie the hole as bogey it, so whatever happened the hole before can be made up. Dwelling on a three-putt can only stand in your way on the next green. 

It's easy to "know" this, but hard to live it on the course. My breakthrough was my first tournament win in high school. I bogeyed the first two holes and was feeling pretty down, assuming it would be a long day. Despite not having internalized this lesson yet, I made 15 pars and a birdie the rest of the round and shot 73. I got lucky because my head
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • @SaltySam... jump on Golf WRX forum if you want to improve your game.   Lots of nice “friendly” golfers hang out there, with zero “issues” to put up with. Very helpful, caring crowd of people hang out on WRX.  And they have a good classifieds section, as well as the “19th” hole for politics and non-golf issues. Zero drama and none of Nola’s lame troll postings to deal with. Check it out!

This is truly pathetic, John. You should volunteer some of the free time you have. I can assure you it will make you feel a lot better than spending it on the above. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited July 2020

This is truly pathetic, John. You should volunteer some of the free time you have. I can assure you it will make you feel a lot better than spending it on the above. 
    Nah.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike