Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Stick Burner Wood Prices?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I am adding a KBQ to my arsenal of cookers.  It only burns wood and prices for oak, pecan, apple, etc. are pretty high here in Colorado - a 1/4 cord load is $270.  What kind of prices do you have in your area?  I am tempted to hit the road and go out of state to find better priced wood but that probably doesn't make sense.  Thanks.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2020
    My parent dropped a few white oak trees. Manual labor and a $45 log splitter rental. It might be worth looking around to see what people have cut down around you. I always see free ads on Craigslist asking people to take trees that have been dropped and cut. 

Before my parents dropped their oak trees I paid $120 for a half cord delivered of cherry and oak here in MN.

You also need to be careful about bringing firewood across state lines. There can be big fines if caught depending on how your state regulates it. 

I'd keep checking around at $240. That's seems a little excessive but I'm not from Colorado. 

The KBQ also doesn't take full 16" splits. Just be aware that you'll have cut down splits to size. As your split and stacked wood will be roughly 16"
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Prices will vary widely across the US.
    As @WeberWho said - be careful about moving firewood from out of state and even from some parts of Colorado.
    Firewood can carry various bugs that many states would like to try to limit/contain the spread.
    Here's a link that mentions what's up in Colorado - https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/colorado/
    If the firewood has been kiln dried I don't believe any states prohibit its movement/import , however, kiln dried firewood is not really the best for a KBQ.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Craigslist, arborists, tree trimming services, some landscaping companies, etc. are good places to start.  I don't use Facebook, but Marketplace probably has listings too.  Oh, and Nextdoor.com always has homeowners offering free wood if you'll pick it up.

I had some oak trees cut down last year and when that ran out I tried craigslist, wife's Facebook, etc. but wasn't confident the wood would be seasoned.  Ended up ordering from a local place that supplies many of the BBQ places in our area.  So, a phone call to a couple of your favorite Q joints could be useful.  I think I paid a little over $200 for a half-cord (24" split, seasoned oak).

Good luck!
    Arlington, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You may have already done this, but when you look around for pricing, make sure you check what is meant by a "cord". Its supposed to mean 128 cubic feet (4'H x 8'L x 4'D). Around here, folks play fast and loose with what they think a cord is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • QDude said:
    I am adding a KBQ to my arsenal of cookers.  It only burns wood and prices for oak, pecan, apple, etc. are pretty high here in Colorado - a 1/4 cord load is $270.  What kind of prices do you have in your area?  I am tempted to hit the road and go out of state to find better priced wood but that probably doesn't make sense.  Thanks.
    Holy crap that is high. I pay $80 1/4 cord but I have to pick it up. It’s $130 delivered. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • For post oak, pecan, or mesquite 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Yeah, I hate to even post - I pay about $150 bucks for a legit cord of mesquite - delivered and stacked. That’s cheap enough I ain’t sharpening chainsaw blades...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • QDude
    I think a road trip to Texas or Oklahoma may be in order in the future.  Any suggestions for places to buy it?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2020
    My guys are Dwayne Dougherty firewood and Harleys Woodyard. They both supply the bbq restaurants here in Austin. Harleys is a little more ($100 1/4 cord). Dwayne was $80 a couple of weeks ago. Dwayne also is always there and he knows the best wood for bbq (6 months seasoned so it has a little more moisture content). Harleys has an employee there and it’s a little more hit and miss depending on who is there. 
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SciAggie said:
    Yeah, I hate to even post - I pay about $150 bucks for a legit cord of mesquite - delivered and stacked. That’s cheap enough I ain’t sharpening chainsaw blades...
    Dang! That's a smokin' deal (pun intended).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    @caliking I may not be that fortunate this year - we’ll see. This guy is pretty good to me. I started using him when he first began cutting wood. I also order well in advance and let him deliver when it’s convenient for him. I’ve sent a good bit of business his way so he generally makes me a good deal. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Local place near me trucks oak in from Texas, $720/ cord.  
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Post Oak delivered and stacked $400 a cord. $200 a 1/2 and $125 for a 1/4.
    Pecan and Mesquite add about 10% to that.
    I did score some of the best cherry I've ever had last year for a bargain!
    As it is now $600, $325 and $175!! 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • QDude
    Hotch said:
    Where are you located?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude said:
    Hotch said:
    Where are you located?
    He’s in north Texas (DFW area but a little north of the city) 
  • QDude
    I talked to a guy today here who has a food BBQ truck.  He has a huge wood smoker.  I asked him about where he gets his wood and he said Denver.  How much? He said $1,000 for a cord of hickory!  Doesn't sound right.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SciAggie
    Holy moley! $1000 for a cord of wood? What does he charge for brisket? $80 a pound...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    SciAggie said:
    Holy moley! $1000 for a cord of wood? What does he charge for brisket? $80 a pound...

That's just the going price for this stuff...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    $130 for a half cord of oak in North Atlanta suburbs, and I thought that was outrageous.
  • QDude
    QDude said:
    Hotch said:
    Where are you located?
    In the Fort Collins vicinity.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    QDude said:
    I talked to a guy today here who has a food BBQ truck.  He has a huge wood smoker.  I asked him about where he gets his wood and he said Denver.  How much? He said $1,000 for a cord of hickory!  Doesn't sound right.
    @QDude Call Bustamante in Longmont (just south of Longmont on 119) they have a bunch of different woods and sell to the local bbq places.    Spendy if you’re running a stick burner.  That’s the place I quoted above @ $720/cord for oak from Texas.  I saw pecan, mesquite and others, don’t know about hickory.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Hold please. Following this truck through the streets of Metro ATL. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    Hold please. Following this truck through the streets of Metro ATL. 

No need to follow as they offer artisanal delivery service...

So this is how the 1% gets their fire/cooking wood. Always wondered.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2020
    They left me in a cloud of smoke at a stop lite. Damn that old Vega in front of me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I will reiterate, if you call a local tree guy they will deliver logs to your house whatever flavor you like. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• QDude
    I will reiterate, if you call a local tree guy they will deliver logs to your house whatever flavor you like. 
    If only there was an abundance of oak, hickory, and pecan here in Colorado.  We do have some apple and peach.  Occasional oak tree.

I did find out that I can import hardwood from out of state as long as it isn't ash.

I have cancelled my order for the KBQ however.  I got bad news about a mass that was discovered during a catscan yesterday.  Depending upon future tests, I will decide if I'm going to be here long enough to enjoy the KBQ. Life hopefully goes on...

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited July 2020
    QDude said:
    If only there was an abundance of oak, hickory, and pecan here in Colorado.  We do have some apple and peach.  Occasional oak tree.

I did find out that I can import hardwood from out of state as long as it isn't ash.

I have cancelled my order for the KBQ however.  I got bad news about a mass that was discovered during a catscan yesterday.  Depending upon future tests, I will decide if I'm going to be here long enough to enjoy the KBQ. Life hopefully goes on...
    Oh man. Praying for the best. Let me know if you need anything. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    QDude said:
    I went for a follow up visit yesterday and the doctor told me that the catscan did not show a "mass" but it is something else and I don't need to worry.  What a relief!  I can hardly believe though the hell my wife and I went through for a couple of days over nothing!

I reordered the KBQ and it will be here on Friday.  I think that I am going to buy a small amount of oak locally and then turn a road trip/vacation into a wood buying opportunity.  In doing the math,, making a trip to Kansas or Oklahoma just to buy wood doesn't make sense.  I am also going to check with local tree service companies to see if they have any hardwood.

Thanks everyone for your sage advice.

Glad to hear the good news on both accounts.