Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bo Ssam (Korean pulled pork)

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

@SonVolt - fair guess that @caliking looked at Chang's recipe, decided it didn't quite sound like what he had in mind, and just changed it up to suit his own tastes.

Of course typically when he does that he doesn't write any of the proportions down and just wings it, so ... who knows.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@SonVolt - fair guess that @caliking looked at Chang's recipe, decided it didn't quite sound like what he had in mind, and just changed it up to suit his own tastes.

Of course typically when he does that he doesn't write any of the proportions down and just wings it, so ... who knows.

That is very often the case :) I’m trying to get better about writing stuff down now. And measuring. 

@SonVolt I started with David Chang’s recipe published by NYT online, but the ssam sauce recipe didn’t look exciting. So I used the one from here instead: 
    https://mykoreankitchen.com/bo-ssam/

There are so many directions one could take this...  simple sauces that marry tangy, acidic flavors with the richness of the meat, or more complex sauces that add more layers of flavor. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Risk vs reward. Caliqueen admitting she "married well" is all I needed to know about the success of this cook.

I do however believe in both circumstances,  they were a given; this man can flat out cook, and Caliqueen married very well.

Following the posts of this man, makes me understand how much I do not know about cooking and how much I appreciate his teaching.

He remains one of my most faves.

Late to the party, but thank you for posting this cook.
    @yukonron A few years ago, I told my wife I was taking her and the kids to the back of a bar to meet some guys from the forum. (yes, she thought this sounded super sketchy, but it was in a good neighborhood during daylight hours) we met cali and 20stone, and afterwards she said something along the lines of holy $hit, those guys are next level!  there are some awesome chefs and all around great peeps on this forum for sure.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    blind99 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Risk vs reward. Caliqueen admitting she "married well" is all I needed to know about the success of this cook.

I do however believe in both circumstances,  they were a given; this man can flat out cook, and Caliqueen married very well.

Following the posts of this man, makes me understand how much I do not know about cooking and how much I appreciate his teaching.

@yukonron A few years ago, I told my wife I was taking her and the kids to the back of a bar to meet some guys from the forum. (yes, she thought this sounded super sketchy, but it was in a good neighborhood during daylight hours) we met cali and 20stone, and afterwards she said something along the lines of holy $hit, those guys are next level!  there are some awesome chefs and all around great peeps on this forum for sure.
    Totally get it.

The first words Cali said to me, when we first met, as I had asked if would like a pour of a bourbon slushie, the confirmation was delivered in such a manner I will not share here, (as I do not wish to get this post deleted) but let's just say, it was exuberant, and left no margin for doubt, in the manner of the folks I am familiar with, within the shadows of Appalachia.

Brilliant man on many levels, and I knew right then, and right there, I found a brother.

We all could be better folks, just by being around Cali and his family.

The guys he hangs with at the Butt Blast, are very sketchy. No hope for them.

Just sayin'.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    blind99 said:
    YukonRon said:

Totally get it.

The first words Cali said to me, when we first met, as I had asked if would like a pour of a bourbon slushie, the confirmation was delivered in such a manner I will not share here, (as I do not wish to get this post deleted) but let's just say, it was exuberant, and left no margin for doubt, in the manner of the folks I am familiar with, within the shadows of Appalachia.

Brilliant man on many levels, and I knew right then, and right there, I found a brother.

We all could be better folks, just by being around Cali and his family.

The guys he hangs with at the Butt Blast, are very sketchy. No hope for them.

Just sayin'.

He's a good one.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Beauty. Think I missed this first time too, as the cliche goes better late than never  :)
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Here is the recipe from Momofuku cookbook if anyone is looking for a jumping off spot:

I know he steams it right before service at the restaurant so consider adding that step if ya wanna. 

• caliking
    Options
    Here is the recipe from Momofuku cookbook if anyone is looking for a jumping off spot:

I know he steams it right before service at the restaurant so consider adding that step if ya wanna. 

Thanks for this. The NYT version doesn't mention oysters, which would make this mo bettah. 

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    YukonRon said:

That was definitely an afternoon well spent. Its always fun and wonderful to meet up with eggheads.

@yukonron - i'm saving a screenshot, to show caliqueen the next time I fvck up, and see the steam from her ears =)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Butt has been ordered for pick up later tomorrow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Butt has been procured. Guachugang and Saamgang arrived from amazon today. Butt going in the salt and sugar bath overnight and will cook tomorrow. Can’t wait! 
  • caliking
    Options
    Butt has been procured. Guachugang and Saamgang arrived from amazon today. Butt going in the salt and sugar bath overnight and will cook tomorrow. Can’t wait! 
    Giddy up! Looking forward to it. I know you'll enjoy. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well- I got drunk and forgot to rub the butt down 😂. Guess it’s burgers today and Bo Saam tomorrow. 
  • caliking
    Options
    :rofl: That’s a more desirable outcome than “I rubbed the butt for tomorrow, but forgot to get drunk tonight.” 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Guess I’ll just go ahead and start a new thread 😂
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Exactly! 😂

Options
    This thread has been nice while it lasted 😂😂😂

I was going to bookmark it but now 🤷‍♂️

Options
    How did that happen.... making the same tomorrow was hoping to see some tips but not those tips....?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I guess @littlerascal56 was right. There ARE a lot of dicks on this forum 😂
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I guess @littlerascal56 was right. There ARE a lot of dicks on this forum 😂

• caliking
    Options
    " People who don't let their wives use their computer for $400, Alex? "

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Picked a hell of a time for that one- country out of eye bleach and all

Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well- I got the pig parts and in the salt and sugar. After last night, I’m going to call that a win. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Ok I’m so sorry.  At the time I somehow thought that was funny.  Too many drinks and I was trying to show brother in law “snake river farms” and when I googled this pic popped up somehow called “snake river beef”.  It had us laughing so hard, but now I see it is so impossible to translate that humor.  Not even close.  

Anyway none of this matters, I’m sorry for that and sorry if this pulls a great post.  I’m real stupid & I apologize.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    NDG said:
    Ok I’m so sorry.  At the time I somehow thought that was funny.  Too many drinks and I was trying to show brother in law “snake river farms” and when I googled this pic popped up somehow called “snake river beef”.  It had us laughing so hard, but now I see it is so impossible to translate that humor.  Not even close.  

Anyway none of this matters, I’m sorry for that and sorry if this pulls a great post.  I’m real stupid & I apologize.
    Haha don’t worry about it man.  We’ve all done some silly things when assisted by adult beverages.  It was just so random but it gave us all a good laugh.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    NDG said:

It might just slide thru as the den mother has not yet flagged it (as of the time of this post).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    Options
    NDG said:

It's all fun and games... Until someone pokes their eye out on someone else's pecker while standing in a river. 

But that's not important. If y'all were that wasted, I want to know how much your SRF tab was :)