Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

String of bad luck with cooks lately

1) Dried out a chicken with a 6.5 hour low and slow when it stalled.
2) 7.5 hour baby back ribs...still OK, but fat never rendered so they were a little sketchy
3) Tonight...wings in a Joetissere. Cooked a few weeks ago and they were awesome. Tonight I brushed with oil before the cook and the skin was rubbery as h##l. 

One would think that after all these years I would have it figured out by now. That would be a hard no.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Dawgtired Sorry about the string of cooks. It happens to all of us. I still screw things up and do stuff I know better than to do. My philosophy is though that we learned, we ate, and nobody died so it’s all good. 
    I hope your next cook meets your expectations. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Honestly all three cooks could.be explained by lower than expected temperatures.  Try bumping up your temps by 25-50 degrees.

Also, sometimes it just happens too.  I have had a string of roughly 14 years of bad cooks, but the occasional gem keeps me trying.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I just came out of a cook funk.  Everything I touched sucked. Hell I even ruined some scrambled eggs.  

I hear that 3 is the number so maybe you have the monkey behind you now 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    It happens to all of us. I overcooked the heck out of pork chops and burgers not too long ago. Keep grinding 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I had the same a few months ago.  I was trying to do multiple things while cooking which caused me to not pay attention to the egg.  Multiple bad cooks as a result.

I'm not sure what the purpose is for doing a low and slow with chicken.  Cooking them at 300 degrees produces wonderfully juicy chicken.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
     I have had a string of roughly 14 years of bad cooks, but the occasional gem keeps me trying.
    😂😂😂
    New Orleans LA
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    You checked calibration of Dome thermometer lately? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    6.5 hrs chicken?
    7.5 hrs ribs?
    Those explained your problem!
    As suggested before kick up your cooking temperature!  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    As my history of posted threads will demonstrate, I’ve NEVER had a bad cook! 

You know what that means... I quietly lick my wounds when things don’t go as planned. Many of us have been there, and done that.  It’s all good :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    You eat the evidence......if it’s still chewable. Then tell us about the successes. Not that I would EVER do that.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    The Egg is fickle.

Sometimes, I cook something I've nailed a hundred times and it is a total fail.

I just eat it and move on.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited June 2020
    Tell me more about 6.5 hour chicken.  Still mad about the SC game? 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    If you are not making mistakes you aren't doing anything, I've tossed plenty , ...on the chicken, that's a looonnng time, it was basically jerky. I cook chicken low frequently , 2-3 hours max ( never whole ) I do a pseudo Confit so it's sitting in its own fat, skin exposed , winner winner even if it goes a while in time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I was thinking about all the good advice I got on this thread when I started here. It might be worth a look as you think about your next low and slow chicken. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I commend you for identifying the problem with each cook. Someone else may shrug their shoulders and repeat mistakes.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    SciAggie said:
    I was thinking about all the good advice I got on this thread when I started here. It might be worth a look as you think about your next low and slow chicken. 
    Lotsa good info 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    etherdome said:
    Tell me more about 6.5 hour chicken.  Still mad about the SC game? 
    Not at all.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2020
    6 hour chicken? 7 hour baby backs? Good god man, you're cooking way too long. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    " I have had a string of roughly 14 years of bad cooks, but the occasional gem keeps me trying."

I used to be like that about golf shots - so I gave it up because I didn't really enjoy the journey.  And that's the key.  Enjoy the egg journey.  Work as hard at eggcellence as you still find enjoyable.

And I've had my share of bad cooks as well - on every cooking device.  But many of them were still better than what I cooked before I started learning stuff from this crowd.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited June 2020
    Honestly all three cooks could.be explained by lower than expected temperatures.  Try bumping up your temps by 25-50 degrees.

Also, sometimes it just happens too.  I have had a string of roughly 14 years of bad cooks, but the occasional gem keeps me trying.

sounds like my golf game (just saw Fog posted the same thing- and I happily gave up golf too. Not my jam)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Perfectly describes my golf game...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I tried golf.  Only gems I saw were by others in my foursome.  I quit after a few years.  Gave my clubs to Goodwill.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS