Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Not a very fun purchase but much needed. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    WeberWho said:

Complete system or just the outside unit? I had to do that almost 3 years ago followed by a new roof a year later.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho said:

Complete system or just the outside unit? I had to do that almost 3 years ago followed by a new roof a year later.
    New coil and compressor. The furnace was replaced when we bought the house. We did have that going for us. It's nice having AC back up and running!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Botch said:

You do understand that a lot of the apps used on that box pull copyrighted content from less than legal sources right?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Thanks for the website @Botch.

This beauty jumped off the page, so I ordered shirts for everyone. I see a family portrait in our future.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

You do understand that a lot of the apps used on that box pull copyrighted content from less than legal sources right?
    Yes.  Yes I do.
    And I won't use them.  All I want, all I've ever wanted, are my local stations, but because of unusual circumstances my OTA antenna doesn't work here anymore.  I'm just tired of paying over $100/mo to the cable company, just to watch my locals, and still have to sit thru all those inane commercials. I can watch a bunch of movies and stuff, using my Amazon Prime account via my Roku, but I never have (I did watch a few minutes of a streamed movie, just to see if it worked).  

And if anyone here is upset that I have a device that could be used for illegal activity, but I claim to use it only for legal activity, I plead the "gun-licker/AR-15" defense.  :tongue:      

@HeavyG : I know I teased you about something earlier recently (can't even remember what), I hope I haven't pissed you off or anything...  :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    $600 worth of gutter repairs. Damn trees 😒
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Moleman said:
    Thanks for the pricing Mickey. 
    I used Amazon 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @Botch did you get a new digital antenna? I have one in my attic and I pick up all the local channels. All 4 or 5 of them.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

Yes.  Yes I do.
    And I won't use them.  All I want, all I've ever wanted, are my local stations, but because of unusual circumstances my OTA antenna doesn't work here anymore.  I'm just tired of paying over $100/mo to the cable company, just to watch my locals, and still have to sit thru all those inane commercials. I can watch a bunch of movies and stuff, using my Amazon Prime account via my Roku, but I never have (I did watch a few minutes of a streamed movie, just to see if it worked).  

And if anyone here is upset that I have a device that could be used for illegal activity, but I claim to use it only for legal activity, I plead the "gun-licker/AR-15" defense.  :tongue:      

@HeavyG : I know I teased you about something earlier recently (can't even remember what), I hope I haven't pissed you off or anything...  :|

How does it pull in your local stations without an antenna?

No worries man, I never get upset about anything said in an internet forum.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I looked into Android boxes and Kodi and stuff.  I do not mind paying, but they sure make it hard anymore to find stuff.  I still just use a Roku.  I watch local news on Facebook.

I currently have Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Curiosity Stream, Master Class, and HBO Max.  All combined still less than DirectTV.  Very disappointed in HBO Max.  It is nerfed on Roku and on Hulu.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I just bought a Tritip that was miss labeled as flank steak. It was also price reduced by 1/3. It looks like Taco Thursday coming up.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:

There is some device you can buy and put around your house I heard of that captures radio waves from the sky and then you can get some tee-vee content, supposedly for free.  I'm skeptical though.
    edited June 2020
    Botch said:

There is some device you can buy and put around your house I heard of that captures radio waves from the sky and then you can get some tee-vee content, supposedly for free.  I'm skeptical though.
    I had one of those, and it worked perfectly for about two years (starting at 2010).  Then I started losing channels, one by one.  Now, nothing.
    Here's a cool OTA strength measurer website thingie:
    https://www.antennaweb.org/
    My zip code is 84405.  See for yourself.  

My Life is cursed.  It's always been that way, but at 60 I'm finally getting used to it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

I had one of those, and it worked perfectly for about two years (starting at 2010).  Then I started losing channels, one by one.  Now, nothing.
    Here's a cool OTA strength measurer website thingie:
    https://www.antennaweb.org/
    My zip code is 84405.  See for yourself.  

My Life is cursed.  It's always been that way, but at 60 I'm finally getting used to it.  

Here's what I see is theoretically available to your zip code:

I say theoretically available cuz the devil is in the details.
    You say you used to be able to get OTA signals but then they started disappearing. That would perhaps indicate buildings going up  that are somewhat blocking the signal.
    Local terrain can be a huge factor but that wouldn't change over time.
    It seems almost all of the transmitting antennas are in the same "antenna farm" so an antenna at your place pointing due south (actual compass heading of 187° so close enough) would be aligned to get all those stations.

This graphic does show one problem:

That pin marker is likely on the centroid of your zip code area and you can see that the colors change quite a bit around it. Green is the areas where a strong signal should be available and a desktop antenna indoors should work fine. The blues and purples are tough signal areas. It appears their is a sort of valley where the purples/pinks/blues are and getting the signal there would be tough. So, this map needs your exact address to be able to see if you are in a color more suited for OTA reception. Here's the link if you want to enter your address - https://www.overtheairdigitaltv.com/tv-station-locator-tool/

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    You seem to suffer from "Star Trek Syndrome". All that fancy sensor technology which week after week is blocked by some mysterious condition. See, 'Every Episode of Every Series'.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    HeavyG said:
    You say you used to be able to get OTA signals but then they started disappearing. That would perhaps indicate buildings going up  that are somewhat blocking the signal.

This actually might be it.  When I get up on the roof, at the antenna, I have a direct line-of-site view of the top of the Ochre Mountains, where the OTA broadcast antennas are.  In between, is Hill AFB, and just 2º off my line-of-site, is a 90' tall building, the Radar Cross-Section Test Facility.  There is a 60' deep pit under that building, where two pylons raise up and lift an F-22 fighter into the center of the building.  It is then shot with radar, and measured for any reflections (ensuring the LO (Low-observable) coatings on the fighter were done right.  The walls of this chamber are lined with RAM (radar-absorbing materials), cone shaped and look like an anechoic chamber:  

Here's the outside of the actual facility here at Hill:

This building was being built about the time I started losing OTA channels.  I wouldn't think it could block my TV, but the evidence is there.  

Incidentally my job at Hill before retiring was siting and designing the replacement for this facility, to also include the F-35 and the unspecified "Gen VI" replacement for the F-22/F-35 (ever try to design a chamber for an aircraft that isn't quite designed yet?  And its dimensions are classified?  Oof-dah).    

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    broke down and ordered KAB for my large
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    More furniture 😜 console/sofa tables, big asz mirror and lamps.
    I remember the good ole days when my furniture consisted of whatever hand me downs I could get...lol
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

This actually might be it.  When I get up on the roof, at the antenna, I have a direct line-of-site view of the top of the Ochre Mountains, where the OTA broadcast antennas are.  In between, is Hill AFB, and just 2º off my line-of-site, is a 90' tall building, the Radar Cross-Section Test Facility.  There is a 60' deep pit under that building, where two pylons raise up and lift an F-22 fighter into the center of the building.  It is then shot with radar, and measured for any reflections (ensuring the LO (Low-observable) coatings on the fighter were done right.  The walls of this chamber are lined with RAM (radar-absorbing materials), cone shaped and look like an anechoic chamber:  

Here's the outside of the actual facility here at Hill:

This building was being built about the time I started losing OTA channels.  I wouldn't think it could block my TV, but the evidence is there.  

Incidentally my job at Hill before retiring was siting and designing the replacement for this facility, to also include the F-35 and the unspecified "Gen VI" replacement for the F-22/F-35 (ever try to design a chamber for an aircraft that isn't quite designed yet?  And its dimensions are classified?  Oof-dah).    
    I feel like I should deny having ever seen this post...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    I’ve never cooked a brisket. Ever. Don’t really pay attention to brisket threads. 

Lived in Dallas from 92-99 so have eaten thousands of pounds in my life and love it. 

Help o wise ones.....
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Tires for the wife's SUV.    When the crap did tires get so expensive?!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    bucky925 said:
    If you can make it out of there without spending a grand nowadays you are lucky.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    bucky925 said:
    If you can make it out of there without spending a grand nowadays you are lucky.
    Always get tires from costco. 90k mile michelins for the 4runner were 9 something over $300 cheaper than anywhere else.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Lit said:
    bucky925 said:
    Always get tires from costco. 90k mile michelins for the 4runner were 9 something over $300 cheaper than anywhere else.
    If you have a Costco. The nearest one to me is 50 miles away in the neighboring state. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    bucky925 said:
    If you have a Costco. The nearest one to me is 50 miles away in the neighboring state. 
    That sucks. I could ride a bike to my costco if i had a bike.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    thoroughly impressed after 20k miles on the set of kumho crugen premium 255/50r20 109v rated tires. 138.00 each mounted and balanced. no wear so far, good in heavy mud and snow, good at 142 mph, quiet, crazy tire.  wimpy looking tread pattern compared to the bfg's im used to and yet im not getting stuck backing my lobster boat into a muddy river launch like ive done in the past

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it