Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pizza Peel Questions/Recommendations?

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,025
I picked up a Blackstone pizza oven last week and now trying to figure out accessories. I have a couple questions on pizza peels...

I've read that people tend to use a wooden pizza peel for launching pizzas but will use a metal peel for turning and removing pies. Does this seem accurate?

I picked up metal peel from Restaurant Depot this afternoon. They had a wooden pizza peel but it was around $35 and seemed fairly basic. So I passed. 

So I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a wooden pizza peel or what to look for in one? Is one really better than the other?

Thanks!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    I'm no pro but I use the wooden one to carry the pie from inside to the egg and put it on. I use the metal one to remove the pies from the egg into the house. The warden usually just makes them on the wooden one so it saves a step in transferring dough multiple times.. The metal one to me is a bit easier to scoop the pie up with because of the sharper edge.
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I'm no pro but I use the wooden one to carry the pie from inside to the egg and put it on. I use the metal one to remove the pies from the egg into the house. The warden usually just makes them on the wooden one so it saves a step in transferring dough multiple times.. The metal one to me is a bit easier to scoop the pie up with because of the sharper edge.
    This is stated perfectly. I do the exact same thing.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Only metal here. Make on countertop on top of parchment. Transfer in one step to peel inside house. Metal much easier to move em back and forth
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Only metal here. Make on countertop on top of parchment. Transfer in one step to peel inside house. Metal much easier to move em back and forth
    Same here. Parchment paper is your friend.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Parchment paper works well in BGE since you can yank it after the dough has firmed up, not sure if it's ideal for much hotter and faster cook in BS oven though.  Wood is better for launching because condensation on metal peel makes dough sticks, major PITA. Agree sharp edge of metal makes is better for repositioning or retrieval.  There are specialty pricey small round metal peels (e.g. GI Metal) made for turning but it's not needed for BS since there's a builtin turntable.
    canuckland
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    the one caveat about the metal ones is that it's easy for the pizza to slide off durning the moving . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    @WeberWho you mean you stole a Blackstone last week.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Ok.  Going BGE to larger wood fired pizza oven.  My leanred nightmares.  Parchment paper sounds great and works well till the wind blows it as soon as you lift pizza upwards.  Round 8 inch peel is amaizing for turning and or lifting up to the dome to hot melt cheese.  Smaller means metal or wood isnt being exposed to the hotter flames.  I would  just get a longer handle.  I have a 47 inch handle and it seemed fine until the roaring fire doesnt let you keep your arms back far enuff.  Wish I would of got the closer to 60 inch.  Sounds dumb but man Id prefer 60.  Singed hair.

Loading and unloading.  I have wood and a perforated metal 13 inch square peel..  Gi metals makes some great tools.   I prefer the metal thats perforated because I can slide pizza back and forth a little and get rid of all that extra flour.  However the wooden one is easier to learn without a fight.  All in all.  Id stick to metal.  Easier to clean.  Longer handles actually matter..

Some say make it on the peel.  Some say make it on the counter then load the peel so your not hogging it when other pizzas are in the oven.  

I switched to a weighted blue non stick large mat and its almost wax paper without the wind.  Has sized ref rings also.  Works well for me.  Push come to shove i can slide pizza onto peel off mat and shake off flour.  

Used a home depot tool holder for all the tools.  Made vinyl covers.

Check this out at Amazon.com
    Nonstick Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01COP96MG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_w3w4Eb4VGTTY9
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Example

Columbus, Ohio
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have two wooden (pine) peels bought in 1996. Couple of years ago, I bought an 8" round aluminum turning peel. I have no problem launching or retrieving pies with the wooden peels. No sticking either.

And IMO the perforated peels are nice, but ridiculously priced. An un-perforated aluminum peel costs as little as $10. But I'll keep my wooden ones.

Oh, and I hate parchment paper! To each his own.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I go wooden to build the pie on and deliver it, and a metal one to remove it.  I've NEVER gotten an uncooked pie off of a metal peel successfully, so you started out right.  Two peels are best if you'll be cooking more than one pie.

Take note of what @loco engr said above. a cooked pie on a metal peel is slippery as pig snot.  The best pie I ever made (at least it looked like it) flew off when my sliding door wasn't opened quite enough, landing (upside down of course) into a toxic mixture of dust, dog hair, and spiderweb.
    I wept.

Also, as @Carolina Q stated, parchment paper on your peel is like training wheels on your bike.  Watch Triple-D and notice how many pro pizza purveyors place pitiful parchment prequeling their pie.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    I use a wooden one, this is made from walnut but my personal one is made from hard maple with a longer neck. If you would like me to make you one let me know, no charge for a fellow Shirley owner of course.  
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @WeberWho you mean you stole a Blackstone last week.
    Haha! I got a little lucky. Stealing would have been buying his $1,200 pellet smoker he had listed for $75. I'm just not into pellets. (Plus it had some strange fishing pictures on it. Screaming deal though.) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bangor307 said:
    I use a wooden one, this is made from walnut but my personal one is made from hard maple with a longer neck. If you would like me to make you one let me know, no charge for a fellow Shirley owner of course.  
    That's a very generous offer! Thank you. 

Minnesota
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    wood to put them on, metal to take them off.  once setup it makes a good rotation of putting them on and prepping the next one.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
     Buy the cheap one. Throw it in the trash when done. repeat.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Hard to beat the snazzy anodized aluminum peels...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    Options
    Here's the peel I picked up yesterday from Restaurant Depot. 

I should have went with the smaller 12" instead of the 14" for adjusting and removal of pies. I guessed and guessed wrong. The 12" peel would have gave me more room to move around and adjust. This should work but the 12" peel is ideal. 

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    My advice would be to listen mostly to the people here with BS pizza ovens.  Launching into that to me seems quite different from say launching into an Egg.  Much less room to maneuver.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Build your pie on whatever.  Grab it with a metal peel.  Pick it up with wood or metal.  That's how the pros do it.  That's what I emulate.
    Options
    I hear GI Metal peels work great to stir your crawfish boil, maybe @JohnInCarolina can confirm?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I hear GI Metal peels work great to stir your crawfish boil, maybe @JohnInCarolina can confirm?
    It's debatable because when it was returned to me, it was bent at a 30 degree angle.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Here'a a video that includes a launch into a BS pizza oven using a metal peel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafo4QkyPEw
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    Options
    wife washed the wooden peel a few times. it is now warped like a pringle.....

im getting an aluminum one or one that is impervious to water....

Just found AND ordered this:
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-3512-Aluminum-Handle/dp/B0037XFTTY?ref_=s9_apbd_oup_hd_bw_bPybBL&pf_rd_r=QY6YYB139V56RBT0WEG5&pf_rd_p=b3606d4c-7156-52fa-83dc-a8ec1ebb9a7c&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-11&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=383851011&th=1
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

My 2 wooden peels are 24 years old and are both dead flat and in perfect condition.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Options

My 2 wooden peels are 24 years old and are both dead flat and in perfect condition.
    Agree, quick wash is fine, soaking or throwing in dishwasher is no no.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    I use this (9x7 head) for my Ardore oven ... works well for turning, shielding, roofing and retrieval. Like someone said earlier, must be careful when retrieving though, pie can slide off easily  =)
    Removed end cap and inserted oak spindle to increase handle length.

If anyone is interested, it's only $7.68 at RD, model Winco APP-20:
    https://www.restaurantsupply.com/winco-app-20-aluminum-pizza-and-burger-peel
    canuckland
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Without shipping.....you get hosed on that. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.