Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Name you knives!

Options
dmchicago
dmchicago Posts: 4,516
Thinking about retiring my decades old Wustofs. 

We both cook a ton and they just don't seem to keep sharp for long. 

Never been a huge fan of the look of Japanese knives but my wife likes the look, so you know what that means.

Any suggestions?
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can get your knives sharp with a durable edge. 

I love my Bob Kramer Euroline stainless. The carbon is a perfect hybrid of Japanese and German look. Carbon takes a lot more maintenance to keep in shape (like cast iron or carbon steel pans). Here is mine:

Here is the carbon:

Tony has them at Faradays. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did some old Wustofs for a guy last week. One of them looked like he dragged it behind his car on the way over. They were scary sharp and all the chips repaired in 15 minutes. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Custom from Don Nguyen:

Masamoto KS

Mountain View, CA
  • dmchicago
    Options

But what would my wife spend money on?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Mine are from.the French Company Jacee Penea
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Really think she doesn’t have a backup plan to spend money?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:

You should still get a  kramer. You can’t have too many sharp knives :) 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Btw- Faraday’s has awesome knives. Tons of German and Japanese steel. All the upper end stuff. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    custom knives from Bushkill Blades
    Boom
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    dmchicago said:

Really think she doesn’t have a backup plan to spend money?
    Well, we just tried to buy Kayaks but everyone is out of stock.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    I love the sharpness and elegance of a Japanese knife and have one I bought in Japan that I use perhaps weekly - not a daily knife because it’s a pain and rusts if it’s not cleaned and dried immediately after use. It's from Aritsugu, founded in 1560 - wanted to bring back a useful souvenir! Was concerned it may be just a tourist shop, but I've been impressed with it over the past 7 years since buying it.

For daily use I love Global knives - they’re Japanese but less fragile.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If you want the ultimate in edge retention, I recommend aogami super (super blue carbon steel). Once you try it, you will never look back. Nor will you lament the dough that you’ve put into it. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options

Mountain View, CA
  • 2HB
    2HB Posts: 19
    Options
    Get a 210mm (8-inch) Gyuto that has a bit of a curve to allow some rocking motion when cutting (a Bunka is a good all-purpose knife as well, if you prefer it to a Gyuto). Get a knife made from powdered steel (like R2): these new steels maintain an edge unbelievably well (better than VG-10, which is what the Shuns are made from), and aren't prone to the immediate rusting that high-carbon (White or Blue) steels will do unless they are wiped immediately after use.

Japanese knives are great. You will not regret getting one. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Shun for me.....dumped my dozen+ Wustofs for them.
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Options

BenchMade is introducing  a kitchen knife.
    I am not sure what I think about it.

https://www.benchmade.com/15500-1-meatcrafter.html

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    G_S said:

BenchMade is introducing  a kitchen knife.
    I am not sure what I think about it.

https://www.benchmade.com/15500-1-meatcrafter.html

Putting the quality of the knife aside, I’m not sure I could bring myself to buy anything with branding as awkward as the “Meatcrafter” - though I get that’s its a nod to “Meateater.” 🙃

The thin blade looks like it would work for slicing and for trimming briskets. Somehow, I would have expected their foray into the kitchen to result in something more general and closer to a chef’s knife (i.e., wider blade for chopping). 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    my favorite is a 240 mm goko gyuto, thing is sharp and super light. look at chefknivestogo, lots of options without breaking the bank. this knife was 99 bucks

Click to Close

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,614
    Options
    My knives are nameless and I do occasionally drag them behind the car before putting them in the dishwasher.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have knives from every cost scale imaginable. Some great values, others......not so much.

However, this knife seems to be the best of my collection. My Beautiful Wife, purchased this for me a couple years ago.

It is very comfortable to use, holds a pretty decent edge, and makes quick work of the target.

I am not a kitchen knife enthusiast, but if I were, I think I would buy more of these.

The grip and craftmanship seems to be very good.

The balance seems very effective, and it easily performs all the slicing and back slicing functions I would use it for.

The pinch grip is very comfortable as well when using this knife.

I dunno. It works, but I did not purchase it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    When I bought my knives ~33 years ago, I hit all the kitchen and dept stores in town to see what felt best in my own hands, didn't really consider "sharpness" at all (ended up with Henckels 4-Stars).  
    They work even better now that I've put a 15º, Japanese bevel on most of them (I've read that most German manufacturers have now gone to that bevel, too).   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Thank goodness my wife still likes the 30 year old set of Chicago cutlery even better than the set of fine german knives she inherited from her mother.   She will spend on her golden retrievers but not knives.  She lets me have my own knives for Grilling/smoking and I treat them rough so I get Dexter Russell
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    When I bought my knives ~33 years ago, I hit all the kitchen and dept stores in town to see what felt best in my own hands, didn't really consider "sharpness" at all (ended up with Henckels 4-Stars).  
    They work even better now that I've put a 15º, Japanese bevel on most of them (I've read that most German manufacturers have now gone to that bevel, too).   
    My 4 stars work great. Some are over 20 years old. As big a tool W&^%$ as I am, it would not be wise for me to dive down the exotic knife hole.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I second looking at chefknivestogo.com   Great people and fast service. I have my Wustofs for everyday and use my Konosuke gyuto for the fun cutting. It just glides through vegies and such. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I knew this was going to be expensive for me before I even opened it. Dangit. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Botch said:
    My 4 stars work great. Some are over 20 years old. As big a tool W&^%$ as I am, it would not be wise for me to dive down the exotic knife hole.
    I should also note that if I cooked for a living it would probably be a different story. Case and point I have two large Snap on tool chests full of Snap on tools.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Tom_in_NC
    Tom_in_NC Posts: 29
    Options
    Another vote for the Kramer knives. I have the straight up 52100 Carbons. Insane knives, off the chart edge retention, get and stay spooky sharp. I absolutely pay attention when using these. Which the edge retention is great but like Cen-Tex, I'm a sharpening buff (though I haven't done it for $$$ at this point), but I have yet to need to put these on my Dia-Sharp plates or even my Sharpmaker. Kinda bummed lol. They do require some upkeep though, not gonna lie. 

Off to the right of those, the book ends there are a couple of custom 80CrV2 super duty blades and a collection of Victorinox/Global beaters. On the Japanese knives I have a full set of now-discontinued Shun Reserve SG2's that are not pictured. Those I mostly have for looks, but they damn sure do the job when called on. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options

do make sure the handle is comfortable to the both of you. my globals are great knives but the handle is absolutely brutal to my hands, it builds up a large hard callous on my index finger in no time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have some Masahiro knives.  They have been good to me, but I am interested in taking a look at some carbon steel.

NOLA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Wife gave me Shun Premiers for Fathers Day. Got the 3 piece. Added a brisket knife last year to the set. Not disappointed