Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Dopiaza

Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
Not exactly authentic, but this works well.  Chicken thigh fillets cut into pieces and marrinaded in yoghurt with spices.

Grill the chicken to get a char on it - it doesn't matter if it's not cooked through as it will cook again in the pan.

Dopiaza has a lot of onions.  Start with 4 large sliced onions fried in the pan.  Then add spices - dry fry and grind cumin and corriander seeds then add chilli, garlic, ginger, tumeric and garam masala.

Once everything is fully coated, add more sliced onions and peppers, 4 or 5 large skinned tomatoes (or 1 x tin) and a little water to create the sauce.

Simmer for an hour and serve with rice.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I’d hit it. Even with all those onions.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Yum! That’s a new one for me but looks like something I would love. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Considered this one stolen.  Sounds like some incredible flavors.  Nice cook. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I like it.  A lot. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I like it.  A lot. 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great looking dish right there.  Thanks for sharing.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Awesome!!

Dopiaza usually doesn't get any play outside the subcontinent, because more popular dishes (dal makhni, chicken tikka masala, tandoori anything) hog the limelight. 

Your plate looks delicious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    caliking said:
    Awesome!!

Dopiaza usually doesn't get any play outside the subcontinent, because more popular dishes (dal makhni, chicken tikka masala, tandoori anything) hog the limelight. 

Your plate looks delicious. 
    I love onions, so it's a favourite of mine. Egging the chicken instead of frying in the pan is a definite step up.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Looks great!  Thanks for sharing that one.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Wow thanks for sharing!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Yes!  So glad I clicked this, almost skipped over bc never heard that dish before.  Looks amazing - can’t wait to duplicate this.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Outstanding work there my pseudo-Northern friend.  
    I have begun to yearn for a take-away and this has just made it worse =)  
    A Ruby would do the trick just lovely.  
    Even a slice off the old revolving elephant leg, having pavemented the greenery off the top first - obviously,  I am not a savage.
    I might dig out the dog-eared pen covered 'China Chef' tri-fold menu out of the kitchen drawer of mystery, just to remember what is what like in the old days. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Eoin
    CPFC1905 said:
    Outstanding work there my pseudo-Northern friend.  
    I have begun to yearn for a take-away and this has just made it worse =)  
    A Ruby would do the trick just lovely.  
    Even a slice off the old revolving elephant leg, having pavemented the greenery off the top first - obviously,  I am not a savage.
    I might dig out the dog-eared pen covered 'China Chef' tri-fold menu out of the kitchen drawer of mystery, just to remember what is what like in the old days. 
    You've already moved half way North, maybe one day you'll make it to the promised land.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    I'll need wooden clothes and a software update to become friendly. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay