Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex’s Salsa Vault (post yours here too if ya want)

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Credit goes to a friend for turning me on to this... dosa (South Indian rice crepe) , cooked with fire roasted salsa or @SciAggie ‘s salsa negra, is pretty damn delicious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking That’s a 10/10 just for looks. If it tasted half as good it was a home run. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited May 2020
    caliking said:
    I imagine that the diffe =) are about he windchill if the outside temp is -15F?? :) 

add a 50 mph wind and the beer in your hand freezes way quicker at -15. ask an ice fisherman
    And ask a Minuteman III ICBM repair team member, stationed in Grand Forks ND, how "tinkling" got its name (when your piss freezes, and shatters, before it hits the ground).   ;)

Coldest I ever saw up there was -28º.  We had to detach a topside cable with 15, 1/8" brass screws, so no gloves.  Each of us could get about three done, before we lost feeling in our fingers, jumped into the truck, and the next guy (out of four) ventured out.  Fortunately it was dead calm.
    Coldest windchill I saw was -85 F.  I had to drive from Grand Forks to GFAFB (15 miles) but once I got to work, all travel was cancelled.  The alert crews, cops, and cooks out in the missile field had to pull a 48-hour shift, instead of the usual 24-hour.  
    Glad I got to do that for a tour, and have the utmost admiration for the troops that did that for a career; but I don't EVER want to go back!    

EDIT:  Good grief, how did I post that in a salsa thread?  Buffalo please delete.   :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NDG said:
    love this thread, can NOT WAIT to try some that you all posted. 
    Here is my go to . . BGE roasted veg = very good.
    • 4 large or 6 small tomatillos, husked (about 8 ounces)
    • 4 plum tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
    • 3 cloves garlic
    • 1 jalapeno
    • 1/2 white onion, halved
    • Vegetable oil, for brushing
    • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon sugar 
    • Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
    • 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo

Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onions with some oil and grill over direct heat until char marks appear. Remove from the grill and let cool. To control the spice in your salsa, stem and remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno for a milder flavor. Combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onions in a food processor and pulse until mostly pureed, but slightly chunky. Add the cilantro and sugar and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Continue to pulse until pureed. Taste and add more salt and black pepper if desired. Set half of the salsa aside in a serving dish. Add the chipotles to the food processor and pulse with the remaining salsa until combined

I just made this (but used Frontera fire roasted canned tomatoes with chipotle cuz that’s what I had ). It’s awesome! Thanks for sharing. I did add 4 jalapeños instead of 1 😂. This is texas after all. I also doubled the garlic. Great salsa. Thanks for sharing. The lighting is making it look weird. The color is exactly like your (fiery reddish orange). 

This is so good. Even better next day. If I were going to make any change (and this is just tweaking) I would leave out the Chipotle and add more jalapeno or Habanero. I like the brightness of all the fresh veg and the Chipotle seems a little heavy in the background. Of course that could be because I didn't follow your recipe and used the Chipotle Tomatoes instead of fresh tomato and canned Chipotle.

I'm going to make it exactly like you do next time and see if I would make any changes from there. This is in the permanent rotation either way. We all love it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Lot of great recipes and thanks all for sharing.  Not salsa, but anyone got a good proper queso recipe?  My family is at a stage of life that will eat queso Before salsa.
  • Lot of great recipes and thanks all for sharing.  Not salsa, but anyone got a good proper queso recipe?  My family is at a stage of life that will eat queso Before salsa.
    I do for sure. I’ll post it shortly. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Had a go at the first recipe that @The Cen-Tex Smoker posted to kick off this thread. Took some liberties, but it’s awesome after resting for a couple of days. 

Great flavor. Ended up adding an extra lime. Will try adding more tomatoes next time, since I dig the extra japs, but wished it had more tomatoey flavor (operator error). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • i make 8 to 10 quarts a year and usually run out, it really is used just on hotdogs with mustard and chopped onion. 
    How many hot dogs do you eat?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i make 8 to 10 quarts a year and usually run out, it really is used just on hotdogs with mustard and chopped onion. 
    How many hot dogs do you eat?

minimum twice a week, makes for an inexpensive lunch at work off the grill. they are on the shopping list for this weekend.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap said:
    What follows is a great salsa I modified from the @NDG recipe back on page one.  (Second go round with the same mods).  Major players the same except;
     I exchanged the 3 cloves of garlic for 2 bulbs.
    Traded the jalapeno for four habaneros.
    Skipped the sugar.
    No cilantro.
    1 seven oz can of the chipotle peppers in adobo.  
    A definite winner. Yes some weak pics. (the 10" CI was max'd out.)

And the finish:

definitely a true keeper.  
    Stay healthy and stay safe-

Not sure how I missed this but that looks awesome. I really enjoy this salsa as well. 
  • The Green Menace

1 lb Tomatillo
    2-4 jalapeno or 1-2 habanero
    4-5 cloves of garlic
    big pinch of salt
    tsp cumin
    tsp+ Oakridge Habanero Death Dust

char up the veg, add to blender with other ingredients and give it a spin. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Summer is coming.  Post your recipies.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i think this would technically be a shrimp avacado salsa, was good on lime tortilla chips. 

shrimp
    avacado
    roma tomatos
    celery
    cucumber
    jalepinos
    red onion
    clamato
    ketchup
    hot sauce
    cilantro

lime tortillas

dirty bowl
    spoon to put it on the chips

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    Any one have a good canned recipe? 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    My go to Salsa:

1 Large (28 oz.) Whole Tomatoes (1/2 drained)

½ bunch of green onions

1 to 3 fresh jalapeno peppers

1 clove of garlic

1 ½ tablespoon of apple cider vinegar

1/4th teaspoon sugar

1/4th teaspoon of ground cumin

½ teaspoon salt

1/2 bunch of cilantro

Directions:

Chop onions, garlic & jalapeno peppers.  Put in blender or food processor and chop again. Add all other ingredients and blend again quickly.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Hey, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I've been anxiously awaiting your queso recipe! Did I miss it? I'm no longer satisfied with Velveeta and Rotel. I'd love to know how you and Janell make yours. Afterall, nothings better than an outstanding bowl of salsa....with an amazing bowl of queso next to it! ;)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Two from today.

Mountain View, CA
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Hey, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I've been anxiously awaiting your queso recipe! Did I miss it? I'm no longer satisfied with Velveeta and Rotel. I'd love to know how you and Janell make yours. Afterall, nothings better than an outstanding bowl of salsa....with an amazing bowl of queso next to it! ;)
    This is said with a lot of sarcasm at centex knowing life is busy for folks, but I just gotta drop it here for him for fun since I didn’t realize how long ago I asked for the queso recipe.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2021

You didn't ask me, but sodium citrate will totally change your queso game.

About half a cup of white wine, about a teaspoon of sodium citrate, dice your peppers of choice (I like habeneros and/or serranos) and while gently heating, whisk in about 1/2 lb of your cheese of choice (I like aged white cheddar).  Add rotel if you want (the habenero rotel is really good).

Easy and delicious.

NOLA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Public service bump.  So many great ideas in here
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I can't vouch for this one (I avoid the "nuclear" sauces) but the name deserves some kind of award.
    And this thread, in early August, deserves a bump.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    edited August 2021
    fire-roasted some tomatillos, jalapenos, onion, and garlic on the egg. blended with cilantro, lime, and salt.  simple, easy, and delicious.
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • CodyA88 said:
    fire-roasted some tomatillos, jalapenos, onion, and garlic on the egg. blended with cilantro, lime, and salt.  simple, easy, and delicious.
    Thanks for this.  Growing some tomatillos right now that are almost ready to be picked.  Will for sure be making this.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Had a couple of very large sweet tomatoes left over that were roasted on the Egg, so I roasted some chilli, garlic, onion and pepper and blended it up.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I made two salsas today.

The first was a roasted Tomatillo/Hatch loosely based on this recipe:

https://beyondmeresustenance.com/roasted-tomatillo-hatch-green-chile-salsa/

The second was the roasted Habanero and garlic posted earlier in the thread.

Mountain View, CA